Texas Hunting Forum

best area for a javelina hunt

Posted By: jae011

best area for a javelina hunt - 04/18/16 09:50 AM

Im from the fort worth area so never hunted these little guys before. Whats the best location and or outfitter for javelina hunt? Id like to do bow spot and stalk. Any input? Thanks!

Also I would like something of trophy caliber as long as its a low fence set up. Not sure if that makes a difference with these or not but I prefer low fence.
Posted By: red bluff

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 04/18/16 11:16 AM

Bow hunting for javies is alot of fun. You will have to go west or south to find some. If you can wait till fall the TPWD has draw hunts which are affordable but you may or may not be selected. Check out West Texas Hunt.org he is on the forum as mulie mike he has west texas hunts.
Posted By: Erich

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 04/18/16 06:11 PM

deep south texas, or west texas is where you will have to go. Any of the larger ranches in south texas with websites offering deer hunts will also offer javi. same with west texas.

in south texas might be easier to spot and stalk them along the edges of brush along senderos cut for deer hunting.

good luck.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 04/18/16 06:34 PM

Any where along 35 west of San Antonio.

Callaghan ranch is a good place.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 04/18/16 06:39 PM

Fort Stockton area has plenty. There's not much hunting to it. They are easy to get close to and kill. They will chop their jaws at you but most will stand there and let you kill them if you don't spook them. I don't know what you would call trophy quality. I do know they don't use their real teeth when mounting them so you can get them as big or small as you want.

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 04/18/16 07:28 PM

they're pretty decent eating, but lots of work to clean and not a lot of meat to show for it. we hunt deep Duval Co. we don't have lots of them but there's a huntable population. every now and again a larger group of them will take up residence at one of our stands and refuse to leave. by the time everyone on the place takes their two per license year out of the group it usually is back down to manageable size or decides to move on.

its true that they are not very smart. they will stand there and be shot. the others will stand there and wait their turn to be shot.

I wish feral hogs were that easy. I need to thin out some hogs, but the more we shoot at them the smarter they get.

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 04/18/16 07:31 PM

I also do not know what a trophy javi would be. one that weighs about 50-60lbs is about as big as they will get. and like was said above the taxidermist can do whatever you ask with the teeth. they are frequently made to look like saber-toothed javlina.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 04/24/16 10:23 PM

hidalgo, starr, and jim hogg counties have really excellent numbers. On grandpas ranch i see 6+ at one feeder every time the feeder goes off and have seen as many as 20-25 on the river bank at one time.
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 04/24/16 10:45 PM

A good outfitter is Rob Kiebler at Fair Chase Ltd. Great accomadations, and plenty of javi, and hogs as well. Good hunt. High fence on part, but it's 16,000 acres, so the only time you see the fence is the day you arrive and the day you leave. If you want his number, pm me.
Posted By: BrianCook_RanchSales

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 05/02/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: drycreek3189
A good outfitter is Rob Kiebler at Fair Chase Ltd. Great accomadations, and plenty of javi, and hogs as well. Good hunt. High fence on part, but it's 16,000 acres, so the only time you see the fence is the day you arrive and the day you leave. If you want his number, pm me.

Fair Chase Ltd is top of the line. some of the best food you will ever have also
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 05/03/16 10:25 PM

Where can i find info for the Fair Chase Ltd?? I googled it but couldnt find a website
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 05/04/16 12:31 AM

also does fair chase allow Gun hunts?
Posted By: BrianCook_RanchSales

Re: best area for a javelina hunt - 05/04/16 07:32 PM

Rob Kiebler- 972-523-5621-fairchaseltd@aol.com
and yes they allow gun hunts
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum