Texas Hunting Forum

Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting

Posted By: cabosandinh

Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/15/16 10:24 PM

read this on the news

be careful out there

"WEATHERFORD -- Weatherford High School students are mourning the loss of one of their own.

Football player Brennan Weikel, 17, was killed while hunting feral hogs with his family Monday morning in Wise County, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department said.

The Weatherford football Twitter page announced the news via Principal Kristy Dowd in a post that read:

"Gone but never forgotten. Thank you #39 RIP."

"Our hearts are that saddened Brennan Weikel, a senior at Weatherford High School was killed in a hunting accident yesterday morning while with his family," the school district said in a statement. "Brennan was a quiet and kind young man that played football for WHS. Our thoughts and prayers are with Brennan's family."

Support will be put in place on campus before students return from Spring Break, Dowd said.

Copyright 2016 WFAA

"
Posted By: Western

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/15/16 10:39 PM

Horrible! I live in Wise county and didn't hear about it, sad, irreversible situation.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/16/16 03:01 AM

Prayers up for the family.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/16/16 03:38 AM

Wow, that's terrible. Any details on the accident?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/16/16 04:16 AM

I saw that on the news. Prayers for the family. Details will be released once investigation is over.

Wise county had a fatal accident last year when a grandad shot his 9 year old grandson on a tower shoot.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/16/16 04:19 AM

Tragic. Prayers for those effected
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/16/16 02:49 PM

Quote:
The Weatherford teen killed Monday morning in a hunting accident was leaving a wooden ground blind when his gun discharged and wounded him in the head, a Wise County game warden said.

The accident happened at about 3:50 a.m. Monday on leased hunting land near County Road 3825, Nixon said, noting that it’s not unusual for hog hunters to hunt overnight. Weikel was a senior at Weatherford High School, and was on spring break this week.

Weikel’s stepfather had shot a hog and called Weikel on a cell phone. The stepfather told authorities he heard a gunshot “immediately” after that phone call.

“As he reached down, he grabbed the grip near the trigger,” Nixon said. “As he was transitioning to get up and exit the blind, the gun discharged.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/article66091767.html#storylink=cpy
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/16/16 04:46 PM

Oh man, what a horrible deal. Need to remind our family and friends about firearm safety.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/16/16 05:42 PM

This is just so terrible, I feel so sorry for all of his family and friends. Gun accidents are such a terrible thing. All guns must be treated as loaded at all times.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/16/16 06:20 PM

What a waste. Hate to hear that.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/17/16 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
What a waste. Hate to hear that.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/17/16 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: tigger
This is just so terrible, I feel so sorry for all of his family and friends. Gun accidents are such a terrible thing. All guns must be treated as loaded at all times.

Details are sketchy...but from the report, the young man realized the rifle was 'loaded', but we have to 'assume' the safety was not engaged and when he grabbed the rifle...he somehow manipulated the trigger. Still hard to imagine how the muzzle would be pointed at himself.

Makes you wonder if he didn't fumble/drop rifle and tried to grab it.

In any case, it is very sad. My prayers go out to the family and those who knew him.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/17/16 04:50 PM

Which is why I've insisted that my nephew and my son-in-law learn that you never climb in or out of a stand or vehicle with a loaded weapon. Magazines come out and chamber open, or all the rounds cycled out and chamber open for a fixed-mag weapon. They don't move when they are hunting with me until the weapon is empty.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Weatherford HS student killed while hog hunting - 03/17/16 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: StretchR
Which is why I've insisted that my nephew and my son-in-law learn that you never climb in or out of a stand or vehicle with a loaded weapon. Magazines come out and chamber open, or all the rounds cycled out and chamber open for a fixed-mag weapon. They don't move when they are hunting with me until the weapon is empty.

Excellent rules.

But even this requires 'handling' of the firearm, so strict attention to where the muzzle is pointed is paramount.

Also an ABSOLUTE understanding of how THAT particular firearm functions..is a good thing.

Another thing (though not applicable in this case) is the need for a responsible adult to determine IF the person who will be handling the firearm is mature enough to understand and to FOLLOW instruction. I see far too many instances where some 'proud parent' takes their 4 year old out to shoot a deer. That is ridiculous IMO.

While there is no set 'age' I would recommend, the person needs to be able to comprehend the potential dangers involved and to observe and practice all safety rules.

Heck, I have a 30 year old Nephew I wouldn't let within 50' of gun. He has proven to me in the past that he is NOT responsible. In fact...of the hundreds of people I have taught to shoot...he is one of two that I have asked NOT to come back. (Wife's side of the family, BTW).
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum