Texas Hunting Forum

I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous

Posted By: Pig_Popper

I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/20/16 08:33 PM

The last 5 hunting trips have resulted in a grand total of 1 night of sightings and 1 miss .

Plenty of activity on the game cameras but it is as if the pigs have top tier intelligence on our presence and they are eating all the corn and evading.

To add insult to injury they've collaborated with the raccoons and last night not a single animal moved through 2 separate bait sites - upon inspection this morning not a single kernel was displaced.

I'm reaching the limit of sanity with this situation , I am challenging myself to not sleep tonight until I've bagged a pig !

Let the game begin..........

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/20/16 08:52 PM

Whoops wrong section - see I'm beginning to crack!!!

Mods can you put this over in hogs and varmints please

Thx
Posted By: JCCinOhio

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/20/16 08:55 PM

Where I hunt, they know where the blind is and circle in from behind first to check if anyone is in there.. they are smart buggers

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/20/16 08:58 PM

I don't even pressure them like I should hunt maybe twice a month - and they have cattle companions , water , cover, and free hay and corn.

It doesn't make sense that the world stops when we arrive to do some night hunting.....

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 12:20 AM

Rancher says he has spotted pigs in the hay on the East side of the property twice this past week I'm in position - cameras are rolling....
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 12:29 AM

Get-em!
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 01:14 AM

Are you setting in blinds or stalking? Do you hunt all night?
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 01:36 AM

Set the camera, take a short nap in the blind, view the hogs later on camera.

Keep after 'em!

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 02:14 AM

I'm sitting in the bed of my truck covering the area with the wind to my favor - I'll stalk if I spy them in the big field.

I normally don't hunt all night as work is Monday but I'm to the point of needing to push through tonight so that I can get back on track.

So far no animal activity

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 03:01 AM

Rocky , Rachael , and Reginald (raccoons) finally showed....

Need bigger targets
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 03:30 AM

Pigs come after the coons at my place ,,,,,,eyes open
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 03:42 AM

Not knowing the lay out of your bait site or the terrain features this is strictly a 'guess', but chances are excellent you have been 'busted' once you drive up to the area.

Quite possible the hogs are circling the area before entering, or staging nearby or simply hear you as you arrive. How close are you setting up to the bait site?

I can easily understand the hogs avoiding the site, but raccoon's are pretty reliable and not easily put off.

Are you certain you are the only one hunting the area?

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 04:03 AM

Hey Flint - I'm in the belly of the best (50 yards). Heavy sign and trail leading to bait site 100 yards out. Wind in good and cool in my face. There is a lot of fencing on this property so it'd take them

Ewww squeal hold on

False alarm....

So anyhow they'd take awhile to circle me where I'm at and I would hear them with all the brush and such.

Anyhow goodbye normal bedtime , hello waiting and hoping
Posted By: Theblakester

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 04:13 AM

Good luck
Posted By: jbd76266

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 04:42 AM

Good luck. Planned to get out myself but worked all day

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 04:54 AM

Thanks guys for the encouragement I'm relying on it to get me past midnight.

cheers

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 05:11 AM

The deer and rabbits are having their fill on the corn

Wind has picked up

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 05:53 AM

Stalked up on a whole mess of pigs in the big field only managed to kill 1 but hey - IM BACK !!!!
Posted By: PiePuncher

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 06:01 AM

Pigs are easy. Bait them with 10 lbs of corn, 2 packets strawberry or grape jello and 6 cups of sugar plus water and watch them come running. This was tonight's results in Crawford texas. In one hour, had a total of 6 pigs.
Also, don't pressure them. Pigs are smart. Bait and leave them alone.
I got ZERO on my last trip thanks to my partner forgetting the bait. He claimed it was in an imaginary bucket in the back of the truck.
Don't over think it, get out and get some piggies

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 06:43 AM

PhotonXT made this hunt possible !

Well that and my thermal handheld wink
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 12:43 PM

Nice job, Pig_Popper! Way to stay with it!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 01:52 PM

Well done. Great pic. up

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/21/16 07:15 PM

OK on the hog. Determination paid off. Way to go!
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/22/16 02:16 AM

Great job
Posted By: fonzie

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/22/16 02:23 AM

Nice!! I'm feeling your pain I've been out 4 times, 3 times in the blind (3 misses) once with dogs (got out run) so ya it hurts!

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/22/16 05:07 AM

Here is the video of the hunt

Posted By: Theblakester

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/22/16 07:02 AM

Nice. I thought u had the runner on the last one.
Posted By: miket1

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/22/16 01:17 PM

Very nice! Congrats. About how far away do you think they were, looks like you got pretty close!

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/22/16 01:26 PM

Distance to far pigs was 130 yards so I figure the one that got it was 50 yards - it always amazes me how they go from a dead stop to 20 mph in secs
Posted By: PlanoPigHunter

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/22/16 03:05 PM

Nice when the dry spell finally ends.WTG!

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/22/16 06:58 PM

Yeah, looked like you might have gotten a couple more, close at least. Keep after 'em!
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: I'm not sleeping until I've killed a pig - this is getting ridiculous - 02/23/16 08:46 PM

Way to stick it out
rifle taz
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum