Texas Hunting Forum

4x8 Hog Trap?

Posted By: D-Box

4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 08:07 PM

I'm thinking about buying a 4x8 hog trap for my place in Lee County. There are lots of them new on Craigslist in Houston for about $300. Anyone had any luck with these? I know hogs are smart, so wondering how easily they will just walk into one of these, baited with corn of course. They also seem kindof small, but most of the hogs in my area are less than 150 lbs, so maybe big enough. There's a guy who buys live hogs very close to me, but I'd probably shoot most of them in the trap and keep the meat for myself, so portability isn't a big concern.
Posted By: lmd59

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 08:21 PM

There's a trap in the classifieds for $240.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 08:21 PM

The guy at Dime Box who buys hogs also builds traps. Check with him on the price.

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 08:24 PM

His price is $450 for basically the same trap.

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 08:29 PM

The trap in the classified's is about what I'm looking for, but it's in Greenville which is a long haul from Houston.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 08:33 PM

Yeah he quoted me $450 but he builds a very heavy duty trap.
Posted By: rickym

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 08:52 PM

There's a guy that builds them off 2920 west of tomball. He builds a good trap, $280 or $300 with the floor panel. And 4x4x8 is plenty big

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 08:54 PM

rickym,

That's the one I'm looking at, since I'm in Cypress, not too far away.

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 08:59 PM

I will be getting another one from him soon. I also recommend spending the extra 20 for the floor. I was ticked when I watched a couple lift the trap and get out on game cam, I attached a bottom after that but won't buy another one without the bottom. I probably live fairly close to you.

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 09:03 PM

When you set it up pour corn inside and prop the gate open, let them get use to going inside when your not there then they will have no problem goin inside when you set it. Mine is near my feeder and when I'm there hog hunting I pour corn in the trap and turn the feeder off so the only corn they can get to is in the trap. Also, run a t post through one of the back corners.

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 09:07 PM

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too, don't set it when I'm not out there. Thought I might need an auto feeder to keep it baited for 1-2 weeks while I'm not there. Seems like a cheap Academy feeder with a 4" PVC tube over the spreader to force the corn strait down into the trap would work.

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 09:15 PM

I did one like that once, just cut the bottom off a 1 gallon coffee can ( got mine from a guy at work) and mount it to the feeder, it will cause the corn to fall straight down and still spread out a little in the trap while not allowing animals to push on it trying to get more feed out and breaking the feeder.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 09:18 PM

The type of set or trap door will make a big difference.. I like the fall aways that are set halfway and the door trips when the pigs back hits it and drops behind him or them.. 4x8s plenty big.. get a circle trap if possible

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 10:04 PM

The ones made in Tomball are side swinging doors and the seller says sometimes additional hogs will push there way in after the first is caught. Not sure if that really happens, but that might be an advantage of that type of door. He says you can just leave it closed and they will push there way in.

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/14/15 11:53 PM

Yes you can and yes they will if there's one big enough to push it open
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/15/15 03:25 AM

4 x 8 is big enough. I've built a couple, one with a floor and one without. If there's no floor you definitely have to stake it down with posts and wire, but I find a lot of hogs are reluctant to enter the trap that has a floor, but then that one is a little smaller. YMMV.

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/15/15 03:14 PM

Iv always herd more will push in.. iv trapped pigs for the last ten years and never seen one do it or even hang around after the trap is tripped... other than young sholts that can fit through the trap.. they will stay with the mama

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/15/15 03:16 PM

We use to have traps at every blind and when a guide would see a trap full of hogs he was to tie the door up until we could take care of them after the morning hunt. I was in the blind one morning while a pig was in the trap.. figured id just deal with him after the hunt.. so all morning I sat and watched until that pig figured out how to bite the bar and open the door and got hiself out... to bad he didn't make it a few steps out the trap
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/15/15 03:35 PM

Been thinking about building a trap myself. I've read and heard those 4x8's just educate the majority of the sounder.

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/15/15 03:40 PM

That's why you tie them open for a few nights and feed them.. let the whole mess of them get comfy in that little trap.. then set it

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/15/15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: blazin
Been thinking about building a trap myself. I've read and heard those 4x8's just educate the majority of the sounder.

That's my concern too. After I installed my feeder on the property I bought early this year, the hogs were super easy to predict and shoot, but I soon learned how smart they are. Now they come to the feeder mostly during the night, and they are very cautious now and harder to walk up on without getting busted. I'm wondering if the trap would work well once or twice, then they would catch on and avoid it.
Posted By: TAT

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/15/15 10:56 PM

Depending how much trapping is done the area pigs get trap smart. We started building big circle traps. Working pretty good do far. Now water is way up, pigs are pushed out of the bottoms. Time to get them!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/15/15 11:16 PM

Buy you some 5' tall 4"x 4"x 20' long cattle panels and T-posts and make a you a trap in the shape of a "6" or "9". Easy to do and much cheaper. Harder to move, so pick a good spot to put it at the first time.

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/16/15 04:07 PM

So the hogs are less likely to get "trap smart" with the larger traps made with cattle panels? What type of swing door is used with these traps? Is the 6/9 formed with one 20' panel?

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/16/15 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Buy you some 5' tall 4"x 4"x 20' long cattle panels and T-posts and make a you a trap in the shape of a "6" or "9". Easy to do and much cheaper. Harder to move, so pick a good spot to put it at the first time.

^ cheers

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/16/15 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: D-Box
So the hogs are less likely to get "trap smart" with the larger traps made with cattle panels? What type of swing door is used with these traps? Is the 6/9 formed with one 20' panel?

You use the force of the panel as a gate.. bend it open and prop it up with a stick... when the hogs walk in they hit the panel the stick drops and the panel closes with force.. just be sure you got a clean floor.. I got a few of these and work well

Re: 4x8 Hog Trap? - 12/16/15 04:44 PM

Ok, I've watched a few YT videos and I get how the panel traps work. Pretty cool, might give that a try.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum