Texas Hunting Forum

Buddy's First Hog

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Buddy's First Hog - 12/04/15 08:02 PM

I got a chance to have a buddy visiting from Colorado go hog hunting with me. It took us a couple of nights before he got a shot at a hog and he did a great job, DDRT. He was using my daughter's Grendel (AA Incursion upper) with a IR Defense, IR Hunter MKII 2.5x thermal scope. My buddy is pretty big and the little carbine looked like a toy in his hands, but he put it to good use.

We saw hogs the night before, but they breezed through without slowing down and he never got a shot. I told him to just pop the hog, but he had the presence of mind to start recording and tried waiting out things to see if a sounder was coming. Despite the wind being from the feeder and toward the stand, the hog smelled something, turned around, and made off to leave. My buddy put the Hornady SST 123 gr. factory round right behind the ear on the moving hog. No surprise, it exited the opposite side.

My buddy decided not to butcher the hog (he really didn't want a large boar) and we put it in the bone yard for the coyotes. He called his wife this morning and she is not pleased. She was expecting him to bring meat back to CO. So, he is staying at least one more night to try to get another hog or two. We should all have spouses like that!

Here is the video...
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/04/15 08:12 PM

cheers flag
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/04/15 09:02 PM

Awesome
Posted By: bg75074

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/05/15 11:07 AM

Cool video
Posted By: GeneC

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/05/15 12:19 PM

Cool video
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/05/15 01:02 PM

Cool hand Brian ,,,,great shot
Way to go dns. Putting him on it and great video
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/05/15 03:34 PM

Cool video!
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/06/15 01:29 AM

Congratulations. Good job guys!

I like the hog's image in 'white hot' (I know you prefer black). With that thermal rig...is a green reticle available?

Didn't see the 'Angry Bird' anywhere?
Posted By: miket1

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/06/15 03:30 AM

Very nice!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/06/15 04:31 AM

Nice shot! Bullet rose just a tad on that shot.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/06/15 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: bg75074
Cool video
cheers
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/06/15 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Congratulations. Good job guys!

I like the hog's image in 'white hot' (I know you prefer black). With that thermal rig...is a green reticle available?

Didn't see the 'Angry Bird' anywhere?

Hey flint! IR Defense went with a simplified palette/colors design and everything is black or white. Part of how they make this work so well is by having the reticle flip-flop between black and white depending on the background so that it will stay contrasted relative to where the scope is aimed.

I think their setup works really well, but I would also like a color reticle option. For example, Armasight and Pulsar have color reticle options and I really like them. Pulsar went one step better and included the option of adjusting reticle brightness which I thought was great. With options, comes complexity, however. Generally I like the idea of more options and am willing to take a little more time to learn the scope so that I may use them. The IR Hunter scopes are basically made with a more military mindset of simpler is better and people can learn how to run an IR Hunter fully much quicker than with some other brands. So there are tradeoffs.

As for AB, he was riding in the back window is he is apt to do and managed to take a tumble before the 4th attempt at getting that little intro blurb completed successfully. I didn't even realize until I got home to process the video, LOL.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/06/15 06:42 PM

Angry Bird takes a nap, buddy shoots hog. Hog takes Dirt Nap.

Nice going!

An adjustable intensity reticle sounds like the cat's meow. I have a standard optic scope with an illuminated reticle, but once the sun goes down it's too bright even on the dimmest setting. I realize on digital scopes there's (usually) better control.

Keep after 'em!
--
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/06/15 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bg75074
Cool video
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/07/15 01:39 AM

Adjustable intensity reticle sounds like just the 'ticket'!

Love to see someone offer an Amber color to work with, seems it would contrast nicely on Black or White 'Hot' but not compete so much for the sight picture as Black on White (or the reverse) seems to.

No matter, very cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Flint.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/07/15 02:27 PM

cool video keep up the good work up
Posted By: Buckeye33

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/10/15 10:31 PM

Very cool.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Buddy's First Hog - 12/10/15 10:43 PM

Very nice..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum