Texas Hunting Forum

Fearless Hogs???

Posted By: A. P.

Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 02:35 PM

Regarding hog hunting...

Have you ever had hogs that were not at all scared of seeing a human? I stepped out away from beside a tree on Wednesday evening at sundown, in order to run off a group of hogs, and even after yelling and waving my arms all they did was trot about 10 yds and stop. A few even started walking back toward me and the feeder. There was a huge boar that was 20 yds away that started growling and popping his jaws. I thought he was going to charge me and I knew an arrow would not stop him. It's like they have never been hunted and have absolutely no fear of man.

I am a traditional archer shooting a Howard Hill style longbow.

If you want the whole story of how it all played out I'll gladly provide all the details.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 02:49 PM

Please indulge us. You can kill that pig, Howard hill killed elephants with his bow. Wait for quarter away shot and slip your broadheadin behind the shield into the vitals...then post pics

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 03:41 PM

Here's what happened...

1. I mentioned the huge boar; initially he walked right in front of me, 10-12 feet away, and this guy was about 5 feet long, went about 250, and had tusks that were 5" long.

2. I'm on the ground (in full camo); no stand, no blind, no brush, logs, or sticks in front of me, standing beside a mesquite tree, on the elevated embankment of a stock tank. (Needless to say I'm a bit exposed and somewhat defenseless because an arrow ain't going to stop a pissed off charging hog.) So I let him walk right past me and he stopped about 20 yards away to my left where he turned and watched me intently. (He never did go to the feeder. There were 10 hogs in the group and 9 of them were at the feeder.)

3. I really didn't want to clean a hog since I knew I would be immediately heading home once it got too dark to see.

4. I came to the conclusion that I would shoot one and leave it laying. The buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms! Right???

5. Upon drawing to shoot at one of the smaller hogs under the feeder, the big boar started growling and popping his jaws then made a false charge of about 5 yds. I turned to face him while at full draw and he just stood there growling.

6. I let down, turned back toward the feeder, drew again (big boy started growling and popping again) and then I loosed my arrow at a 50-60 pounder.

7. And, from 15 yds, I missed!!! (Embarrassed to admit I shot low and went right under the chest of one.) I may have been a bit distracted.

8. The hogs kept right on feeding. Big boy kept growling and popping. I drew another arrow out of my back quiver (making quite a commotion) and the hogs just continued to eat 15 yds in front of me.

9. So I figured I'd just run them off by waving and yelling at them. The ones eating ran about 10 yds. then stopped. Big boy stood his ground. I slowly moved toward the feeder to pick up my arrow and 3 of them came trotting back toward the feeder. They stopped 5 yds away from me as I was under the feeder.

10. I guess I'm a p_ssy because I picked up my arrow and then slowly backed away from the feeder because the big boar was now walking toward me growling and popping. He stopped about 10 yds away from the feeder but I kept on going.

I've never seen wild animals act in such a manner. It was a bit disconcerting!

I'm thinking about investing in a stand of some sort and carrying my .44 Mag as backup.

What's your take???

PS. Sorry for the long dissertation. It is the truth and it was kind of eerie.

PPS. I know my arrows, at 715 grs each, and tipped with a Tuffhead broadhead, are more than enough medicine to pass through any hog assuming I do my part. But it won't stop 'em in their tracks!

PPPS. When, and if, I do kill this guy I'll be sure to post the photos.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 03:50 PM

I had a boar run away then return. Upon returning he came towards me then stopped and growled briefly. My 30-06 then sent him to wherever hogs with a bullet in the head go.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Posted By: MikeTX

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 04:13 PM

I've had them growl at me 20feet away through the brush...he just couldn't see me. I only had the bow, but I had trees to climb as my back up plan smile I don't think I would have stuck around with a large one like that growling at me.

One guy I used to hunt with would carry a pistol for that reason. After observing him and knowing his limited background, I just have concern for pistol skills when he is around me smile
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 04:19 PM

Cool story and experience. I woulda slung an arrow into that sucker to see if it changed his attitude....
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 04:20 PM

cheers Awsome story... Had similar encounter at OSBWMA with hog dubbed Big Tooth ... i did have high-tech 70# compound bow, so a little more advantage than you... cheers Wish was out thar now, Thanks for sharing, stay Safe Best Wishes...
Edit: rofl just read the post under this one.... Have had ta do side step ta keep from getting run over.... 98% time huntsolo have had many strange encounters... When found THF twas hopen ta hook up with some hog hunters... Me health not what used ta be... Had hooked hp with some guys from DF area, cheers had some great times, always felt like 3rd wheel, bargded in on em.. People used ta lease hunt with, few passed on... R.I.P. Rest no longer hunt scratch except one, he's still on a lease we built a cabin on... We hit OSB from time ta time, for hog hunts & he has generously invited me ta lease several times... Again cheers Thanks for sharing rofl & good use of english... rofl i'm a rambling man when it comes ta talking bout hunten... flag

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 04:20 PM

If that boar would have charged me my only options were to climb a mesquite tree or jump in the stock tank.

Diving in the stock tank would have been my first choice.
Fighting off a crazed hog would have been my second choice.
And trying to climb that mesquite tree would have been the most dangerous thing in my mind. LOL

The way some people wield handguns definitely becomes a danger to any and all things around!

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 04:26 PM

I found it all pretty surreal. All hogs I've previously encountered would run like heck once they saw a person unless they felt cornered. But there was open ground and adequate escape routes all around and all these guys just kept hanging out. Strange!!!
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 04:37 PM

Maybe they had never seen a human with sticks growing out of him. Thought you were a walking tree.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 04:38 PM

BTW welcome

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 04:43 PM

Blackcoal,

That was what I was thinking.

If my shooting ability is taken as a fear-factor measurement then I know I didn't give them any reason to be scared of man. LOL
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 04:59 PM

I've only had Javelinas stand their ground with me when there was a clear exit. Hogs only charged or were aggressive when they were no escape routes. They will hit top speeds to get away when they see a truck or human.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 05:17 PM

I guess these guys were either too dumb, or too arrogant, to run from this human. Since I missed with my one shot obviously I was no threat.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 05:25 PM

Hogs really have no reason to fear humans unless they have learned to fear them. Many animals will avoid other large animals, not out of fear, but simply for the purpose of risk avoidance.

As noted, that hog may have had no experience with humans before. Or, it could have been ill or otherwise not of a normal disposition.

We tend to think of animals as having standard behaviors and then are surprised when one acts differently. Like people, animals do have personalities. Some hogs are much more docile than others. Some are much more aggressive. Thinking of animals as having standard behaviors is where people sometimes get into trouble.

I don't know if it was here or on another forum, speaking of standard behaviors, after deer season a couple of years ago, I had some deer that were at a feeder I wanted to fill. I approached and they did not run. A doe even snorted at me and stomped her front hoof like a bull about to charge. This behavior did have me concerned. I had to put down the corn and wave my arms and make noise before I was able to shoo them away and even then they didn't seem too impressed with me. Two weeks earlier and they would have been gone before I ever got to the clearing.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 05:26 PM

Try hand feeding him to see if he is maybe a feral domestic pig - report back your findings
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 05:58 PM

clap cheers
A.P you did the right thing..I have hunted pigs in their native
land most of my life and have been charged by male hogs,many time
Without any provocation...A very hunter who had killed scores of BIG5,
writes that any hunter who hunts wild boars seldom die in bed.. whistle
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
BTW welcome

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 07:33 PM

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the comments, well wishes, and welcomes.

I agree that there are really no norms when it comes to animal behavior. One is best served by always expecting the unexpected. When that big boar was right in front of me, 10-12 feet away, looking directly at me, I knew that he would willingly take the fight to anything he thought to be a threat. Then after shooting, when I starting waving may arms and shouting, and the response was one of complete indifference by the hogs instead of panic, I knew that behavioral expectations were not in play. That's why I exited the area ASAP.

As for hand feeding him, or any other feral pig, I'll leave that to some other "brave soul". Momma didn't raise no fool here!!! LOL

Anyway... I found it all to be highly unusual. That's why I shared my experience. For those who say pigs will always run at the sight of man, I know for certain there are 10 fearless swine roaming my deer lease.

If I'm able to kill that boar sometime later on I'll post a few pics.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 07:37 PM

A random thought, but I would suggest a side arm that can poke a hole in them if they are that close. Sure would shoot faster than a bow. Probably give you the ability to shoot more that one too.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 07:43 PM

I plan on carrying my .44 Mag from now on.
I would have had it with me the other day but being it was archery deer season, and I was hoping to shoot a deer, I didn't want there to be any questions or problems in the event a game warden was out and about.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 08:01 PM

I believe its legal to have a firearm while bow hunting. I have seen some post where people took their AR in case hogs showed up. As far a pistol, I believe that would be a littler easier to explain to a Warden. Safety first
Posted By: Ringman

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 09:49 PM

I don't go in the woods without a firearm. Sidearm or rifle because of the hogs. If you have an accident and are incapacitated good chance of being eaten - my theory. Hog will eat anything.
I wouldn't go to shooting unless you have an exit route or tree to climb. My son went into the woods where hogs were bedding. Shot one and about 20 chased him out of the woods. They were in a corner that had hog fence on two sides and they apparently knew the hog fence was behind them. When they came out, it sounded like an elephant moving through the woods - stuff breaking and a lot of noise. Take your side arm and make sure you have a way to retreat.
Ps - my son made it out ok but got tore up from all the briers he had to run through to escape the thundering herd. I laughed and said you got a 7 mm mag in your hand. Why are you running. His response- doesn't do much good when you only have two rounds left and there are 20 hogs chasing you. He had a point. Ah good times.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 10:24 PM

I guarantee you that I will have a gun on me from now on!!!
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 10:41 PM

I have a neighbor that almost lost his leg due to a charging Boar. Twice I've had Sows not let me pass to get to my truck. I sit on a wheat field and corn the roads I walk in on. If there are a lot of deer in the field I wait till full dark to get out of the stand. Twice I've had Sows with pigs not charge me but would not let me pass to get to my truck. I would have shot them but could not see thru the scope.
They would low grunt and pop their jaws. I live here on the ranch and know it well, most of the time I leave my flashlight in the truck.
I stayed at the stand and called a lease member to pick me up and take me to my truck. I now carry a sidearm when I hunt that stand and carry a flashlight. This year is a bad year for Pigs, I'm seeing them everywhere and even in the middle of the day.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Hogs really have no reason to fear humans unless they have learned to fear them. Many animals will avoid other large animals, not out of fear, but simply for the purpose of risk avoidance.

As noted, that hog may have had no experience with humans before. Or, it could have been ill or otherwise not of a normal disposition.

We tend to think of animals as having standard behaviors and then are surprised when one acts differently. Like people, animals do have personalities. Some hogs are much more docile than others. Some are much more aggressive. Thinking of animals as having standard behaviors is where people sometimes get into trouble.

Well, folks, how about this? I had a damned T-Post come after me the other night! I took it down with a clean shot. "One shot, one kill," that's always been my mantra when it comes to unprovoked T-Post attacks.

I don't know if it was here or on another forum, speaking of standard behaviors, after deer season a couple of years ago, I had some deer that were at a feeder I wanted to fill. I approached and they did not run. A doe even snorted at me and stomped her front hoof like a bull about to charge. This behavior did have me concerned. I had to put down the corn and wave my arms and make noise before I was able to shoo them away and even then they didn't seem too impressed with me. Two weeks earlier and they would have been gone before I ever got to the clearing.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 11:18 PM

Definitely some good advice and a few hair raising experiences. There message is not lost on me. I'll be armed with more than a bow and arrows when I venture back into the woods.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/30/15 11:48 PM

popcorn Some scary stories... Every one getting ready for Holloween ? flag
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/31/15 12:39 AM

That hog will probably always have that reaction to humans. I have seen domestic hogs challenge humans that way, and usually it was the exact same hog doing it every time. Aggressiveness is a genetic trait. You might see that boar's offspring acting the same way.

Did you have any cover scent on you? Did you wear those clothes before on another hunt? A hog has a very excellent sense of smell and relies on that more than sight. If you smelled like another boar, you may have had a big issue. If you smelled like a sow in estrus, you might have ended up with hoof marks on your back and a lot more boar scent on you grin
Posted By: passthru

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/31/15 12:46 AM

Zombie pigs.

I've had a young buck follow me around mending fence like a puppy. I've had hogs pissed because they busted me at the feeder circle and growl while popping their teeth.

We are just another animal until they recognize us as a predator.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/31/15 12:53 AM

But if you are scared maybe you could take up a less hazardous activity. Like knitting.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/31/15 03:56 AM

No one said I was scared, per se!

A man without some semblance of fear often lacks judgement and respect. He is little more than a fool!!! They are the ones who need to take up knitting because they are a menace to themselves and all who are around them.

As for the clothes I wore...
They had been washed in un-scented detergent the previous night and I had also sprayed them with scent blocker and had hung them up in a mesquite tree to air dry before putting them on that afternoon. However, I did rub a bit of bug dope on my shins, right above my boot tops, to ward off chiggers and ticks.

As the hogs came into the feeder it was obvious the big boar had followed the path I had taken as I came in and got set up. He was the only one of the 10 that angled his way up the embankment. When he stopped in front of me, 10-12 feet away, he turned his head and looked right at me. He knew I was there but it was obvious he was uncertain as to what I was and if I would be a danger.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/31/15 01:44 PM

Quote:
A man without some semblance of fear often lacks judgement and respect. He is little more than a fool!!!

up

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/31/15 02:05 PM

cheers Personaly enjoyed your post on the experience & my posts weren't judging your bravery... rofl i have played the part of the fool.. Tried taking pic of sow on bluff charge defending some 5#ers, pistal slinger in my holster... Sow was at most 100# & am confident at my abilities... A wounded hog tis most dangerous, especialy when felt cornered... Had hit hog last minutes of daylight... Went ta camp to get pistal & flashlight.. A member of lease just arrived, & offered ta help... Trail was easy ta follow... It got thicker as we followed trail threw woods... He stopped, i kept going & finaly stopped when had ta get on my knees & it was a dark tunnel of briers... Left TP for next morning... Another time was a morning hunt.. Hit hog on run heading twards thick brier patch... Had 30-30 not best choice for thick stuff... Only had few hours left ta spend.. Over mile & half back in, so figured keep pressure on & hope hog keep moving ta open ground get second shot... i got lucky, hog kept moving... Bout week later, same thick area, wounded hog, it went ta same thick area... Differance, twas right at dark, cool weather, so went back next morning... Didn't find neather one of those three hogs, bad shot placement on my part, although did spend over hour on each doing best ta recover...
98% time huntsolo , & on WMA for hogs... As in thread Fun-de-mentals of chooten rofl it done gone missing... csi tis trying ta desiffer it... i know limitations of weapon i'm using when wondering about the woods , mostly my limitations... Very aware of my surroundings, usualy thick area, & limit my shots ta close range... On public land, last thing need is hunters with jumpy triggers... Have had hog jump up in front of me, run ta my left, & let person take shot...
Again cheers cool thread, as pappy once said: Keep your head held high & your powder dry ... Stay Safe, tis a jungle out thar... Edit: my screen jumps at times... flag

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/31/15 02:43 PM

I've experienced hogs having no fear several times. In each of those cases they had not had any hunting pressure. Once pressured, they always run. Just my experience.

Welcome to the forum!! welcome
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/31/15 03:11 PM

Quote:
A man without some semblance of fear often lacks judgement and respect. He is little more than a fool!!!

^^^^^^^AMEN!

Close on their heels....are those who don't know when to QUIT!

Prisons, Hospitals and Cemeteries are FULL of both kinds.

I think Clint Eastwood said it best: "A man's got to know his limitations". wink

fLINT

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/31/15 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

up

popcorn Reading this thread & posts been a real eye opening eeks333 Yagh, an awakeoning.... Could be reason my wife left... Me caveman ways of hunting..... Wondering about the woods with pistal slinger & rig on me hips.. Flash light off, in snake infested area's, deer raised on cain & buck rage ... Zombie hogs with raiser sharp cainine teeth, chubbacobra's. squash sightings... Getting wives & kids envolved in it... No-wonder most texasHF members gots me on the ignorance list ... cheers They don't want thar kids growing up like me... Grammer is bad, ended up worken in foundry using idiot stick, takes manual labor ta work one of them thar things... Gov tis against against alians rofl they still spying on me for alian body parts workmans comp tis a joke... Wasn't able ta keep up with high-tech, got replaced, as pappy once said: don't do no good ta complain found out hard way, ya can be replaced... Can learn a lot on here... Headen out ta check cams after this rain.. bang my guns been pud up... If not back in half hour... Send help.... Stay safe out thar, tis a jungle out thar whin archery hunters have ta cary pistals... flag

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 10/31/15 08:10 PM

Thanks again for the well wishes and welcomes.

From all the comments and experiences posted I have gained insight and knowledge. I appreciate all who have shared their knowledge. It is quite constructive and instructive.

Thanks again,
Andrew
Posted By: splash556

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/01/15 01:02 PM

I guess I'm one of the rare ones that have never seen a hog charge (other than in a pen or unknowingly in a panic) or run when a human shows up. I do hunt in probably more populous area's so maybe they just are used to and have more of a fear of humans.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/01/15 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: splash556
I guess I'm one of the rare ones that have never seen a hog charge (other than in a pen or unknowingly in a panic) or not run when a human shows up. I do hunt in probably more populous area's so maybe they just are used to and have more of a fear of humans.

Same here and still hoping I find these fearless animals.
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/01/15 02:53 PM

Hog smelled the fear on you. Just like a dog, horse, etc. He smelled it and knew he was the dominant one of the two and was popping and grunting letting you know he knew he was boss.

If you are going to continue , bring a sidearm.

As far as your fear "quote", ??????

Welcome to the THF.
Posted By: IamMr2

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/01/15 04:47 PM

I've had a boar follow me growling and popping his jaws until I left the area. It was dark and past legal hunting time(WMA). Had to spray the brush with buckshot a couple of times until I got out of the area.

Always carry an effective sidearm, just in case. You may get in a situation where you can't swing a rifle around(brush). Also good for applying the Coup de Grace when needed.

Have worn a sidearm while speaking with Game Wardens on quite a few occasions. Only one mentioned it, asking if it was for "personal protection". A simply "yes" and that was the end of it.

Be safe.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/01/15 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: splash556
I guess I'm one of the rare ones that have never seen a hog charge (other than in a pen or unknowingly in a panic) or run when a human shows up. I do hunt in probably more populous area's so maybe they just are used to and have more of a fear of humans.

I too had never seen hogs that would not run at the sight of man especially when I was waving and yelling. That's why I made my original post.

When I was in my college wildlife classes, down in Nacogdoches, our instructor had 3 or 4 of us boys jump into the hog pins with freshly trapped hogs in order to catch the younger boars. We'd jump on hogs up to about 150 pounds and wrestle them to the ground and then our instructor would castrate them. Many times the larger boars would charge us, growling, popping, and gnashing their teeth, so I am familiar with such behavior. As stated I had never seen such behavior from a hog that was not cornered.

Learn something new everyday, right?!?!

As for my statement / quote...
"A man without some semblance of fear often lacks judgement and respect. He is little more than a fool!"

Semblance - the outward appearance or apparent form of something, especially when the reality is different.
Fear - an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that something is dangerous or a threat.
Judgement - the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions.
Respect - a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
Fool - a person who acts unwisely or imprudently.

It is my belief and experience that when one doesn't show a bit of fear, even though they may not be fearful or scared, then they lack the ability to make a decision, based off of admiring the abilities and qualities of a wild animal, which should lead to a sensible conclusion. The conclusion being one in which injury to oneself may be the end result.

Just trying to clarify my thoughts and statements.
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/02/15 10:13 AM

Any chance that boar could be an escapee from a farm? Or maybe too aggressive as he reached maturity, and got turned out to fend for himself?

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/02/15 03:05 PM

As many have stated in this thread each hog, deer & hunter are individuals... Have said many times i'm bout as bright as a burnt out light bulb ... huntsolo most of the time... The hog dubbed big tooth , was archery hunt on WMA, heard hogs squeeling... Eased over ta were sound was coming from... Small little valley tall grass... Slowly moved closer ta comotion... Two hogs ran right ta left in front in me... First hog limping rear leg... It kept going 2nd hog stopped & turned back heading in direction they came.. First thought hog hit by an archer, soon realized hogs were fighting... Eased my way twards 2nd hog... It slowly eating, looking my direction, popping its jaws... Got ta what thought was 20yrds with hog staring at me, was low ta ground, & miss judged distance... It kept popping jaws & could see the canine teeth... Only had one arrow... At time was still in good shape, 70# bow & light on me feet... Hog turned giving slight quartering away shot, stood drew, 20yrd pin, arrow just over its back... Hog took off running could hear it squeeling, even after found arrow, took off broadhead & cleaned... Followed general area it went till dark-thirty.... If given an option, they gonna avoid ya... A wounded cornered hog tis most dangerous ... rofl even with alien body parts, still haven't taken up knitting... flag
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/02/15 10:00 PM

I bet that was an eye opening experience. I've only had one hog try to give me an education, I didn't wait long enough after shooting him with my bow. Thank God I had a side arm to change his mind. Taught me a heck of a lesson, always take plenty of time to follow up on a bow shot - and never forget your side arm. smile I hope we all get to see this boar after you let the air out of his tires!! Stay safe bro!

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/02/15 11:13 PM

I too hope I get another crack at him. He needs an attitude adjustment in the worst way. I'd like to shish-ka-bob him with an arrow and then if he's still sassy I'll put a 300 grain slug, or two, in him. LOL

Thanks for the well wishes.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/04/15 03:09 AM

I may be a fool but fear will only lead to failure.

And just for the record I was just yanking the chains of the shiver and shakers on the thread. Wasn't intending to offend. My apologies if I did.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/04/15 03:28 AM

Quote:
I may be a fool but fear will only lead to failure.

Not exactly, fear has many benefits that are significant for survival.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181681/

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/04/15 03:32 AM

Having a rational urge to preserve ones person doesn't constitute fear. Fear is a paralyzing irrational reaction. Kind of like the difference between pain and discomfort. Pain is discomfort to the level that keeps one from functional activity. If you can still function it's just discomfort. The fact that I pin a rattlesnakes head down before I pick it up doesn't mean I'm afraid and Steve Irwin wasn't. It means I understand what I need to do to keep from being bitten to pick up the snake relatively safely. The person who freaks out and runs away, or has to kill any snake because they fear it is venomous has irrational fear.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/04/15 03:34 AM

And the last I checked pigs weren't hunting down hunters, killing and eating them so I have no fear of them. None. Or coyotes. Or the dark. My brother is scared of the dark. But he is only 56 so he still has time to grow out of it.
Posted By: High Country Archer

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/04/15 06:34 PM

A large boar can do a lot of damage. We had a big boy come in to a feeder one day so I tried to put one between his eyes. Problem was that I hit a strand of barbed wire and missed him completely. He started trucking to the next county and took out anything in his path!!! We tracked him for a little ways to confirm no blood and that boar went through the bottom strand of wire like it was a limp piece of spaghetti and knocked over or broke several smaller mesquite trees during his exit. I was never scared of pigs until I saw where he had broke a 2 1/2" trunk like it was a match stick. I kid with my son who witnessed the damage and said shoot all your rounds at the damn things but make sure you save one bullet for the old man if a pig ever gets a hold of me.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/04/15 08:41 PM

I know that pigs will eat anything and I'd hate to be out in known pig country alone, no weapon, no phone, and have an accident that is incapacitating, because a group of pigs might just find me, or anyone else, to be tasty.

Kind of like the ultimate irony since we all love pork; bacon, ham, ribs, etc. LOL
Posted By: Ringman

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/05/15 12:36 AM

It's not about fear. Just keeping the upper hand. Might as well stay at the top of the food chain instead of somewhere in the middle. We used to "try" to ride the big sows at the farm when we were teens. 400+ pounds and they would get pissed pretty quick. Try to crush you into the fence and bite your legs. Not real easy to get on or stay on when they're unhappy. Plenty of fun.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/05/15 01:01 AM

I know a guy who got chewed on a little by a boar in the 150lb range after wounding it and trying to pull it out from under a blow down. It took a few stitches to close him up and a bit to mend but that's a lot different than a pig just coming after you to eat you. Not saying it won't happen but I'm not carrying my .44 during archery season because I think it might. We raised some pigs as well and a sow can get ornery as all get out when you mess with the piglets but I guess I would have to be in a bad situation a time or two to develop that concern.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/05/15 04:29 AM

popcorn Some good stuff flag

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/23/15 05:11 AM

I found out just the other day that one of the guys on my lease had a run in with a big boar that matched the description of the one that gave me attitude a few weeks back.

It was Friday, November 6. The guy is 24 and was bow hunting, using a compound bow, and was up in a tripod stand 10' - 12' high. As he tells it, a group of hogs came into his feeder near dark, the big boar stayed way back, so he shot a smaller hog. The hogs dispersed into the woods after the arrowed hog squealed. The shot hog didn't run far and dropped within sight. He waited a few minutes then climbed down from his tripod. Once on the ground, and walking over toward the dead hog, the big boar came charging out of the woods toward him. He ran back to the tripod, climbed up and got seated while the big boar growled and popped its teeth below him as it circled the tripod, and was able to fire an arrow at the big boar. He thinks he hit it but was not certain as to his shot placement. The big boar departed the area. He remained in his tripod for quite a while before climbing down.

He said it was a "Come to Jesus" moment when that big one came charging out of the woods at him. He also says he won't go out again without having at least a handgun on him.

Maybe he hit the big boar, maybe not, I don't know. I asked if he recovered the arrow he shot at that boar but he said he didn't even look for it because it was too dark. He left the first hog laying because he thought the big one might come back again. The next day he drug the dead hog off into the woods and didn't find his second arrow.

So, the big boar may be dead or may still be out and about. If I see him again, or he shows up on a game cam photo, I'll provide the details.
Posted By: IamMr2

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/24/15 04:19 PM

Sounds like you've got a sporting hunt looking for that big 'un. Exciting! Just be careful. Sounds like he's full of piss and vinegar.
Posted By: bigsky

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/25/15 04:27 PM

Cool story. I'd love to see a pic of that bow too. I spent a day with Howard Hill's son at his shop about 10 years ago. They make phenomenal bows.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/25/15 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: A. P.
I found out just the other day that one of the guys on my lease had a run in with a big boar that matched the description of the one that gave me attitude a few weeks back.

It was Friday, November 6. The guy is 24 and was bow hunting, using a compound bow, and was up in a tripod stand 10' - 12' high. As he tells it, a group of hogs came into his feeder near dark, the big boar stayed way back, so he shot a smaller hog. The hogs dispersed into the woods after the arrowed hog squealed. The shot hog didn't run far and dropped within sight. He waited a few minutes then climbed down from his tripod. Once on the ground, and walking over toward the dead hog, the big boar came charging out of the woods toward him. He ran back to the tripod, climbed up and got seated while the big boar growled and popped its teeth below him as it circled the tripod, and was able to fire an arrow at the big boar. He thinks he hit it but was not certain as to his shot placement. The big boar departed the area. He remained in his tripod for quite a while before climbing down.

Any up-date ? Sounds like ya need ta pud a bounty on that hog!!! Rest of the hogs catch on, ya might get an empademic of hogs not scared of hunters .... Not an expert, slinger have gun will travel ... Ya might have ta team up... Stay Safe... flag
Posted By: Brandon82

Re: Fearless Hogs??? - 11/28/15 02:44 AM

I've been in a hairy situation with a sounder that was 50-60. It was when i first started bowhunting, now I carry a pistol. I will never forget it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum