Texas Hunting Forum

Hog hunting

Posted By: PublicLandFreaks

Hog hunting - 06/09/15 06:40 PM

i am going hog hunting down in Cuero at the end of the month. We have one weekend to hunt on the place and they have no feeders running right now. We have a thermal rifle scopes. How would you go about trying to draw in as many hogs as possible?
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Hog hunting - 06/09/15 06:47 PM

welcome
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Hog hunting - 06/09/15 06:49 PM

look for signs, tracks

dump lots of corn out in several places: 1/2 bag to whole bag

pick a spot with good vantage point and wind in your favor: usually west/east

then pray for luck

Re: Hog hunting - 06/09/15 07:06 PM

Would you recommend sour corn?

Re: Hog hunting - 06/09/15 07:06 PM

Thank you blackcoal!!
Posted By: customcutter

Re: Hog hunting - 06/09/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter99-02
Would you recommend sour corn?

I would think that the smell would draw them from a greater distance...Just watch where you set up, so that your scent isn't carried along with it.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hog hunting - 06/09/15 11:35 PM

welcome ta THF .. A lot will depend on hunting pressure before ya get their, how many acres.. Would do light scouting hunt early mornings, get ta know area, specialy if ya get chance ta use thermal on night hunts... Whin hunted at night with flash light off.. First learned area, found fresh sign, set up at night, listen, move slowly twards hogs... Corn is just small portion of what hogs eat.. Few months back sat brtween two corn feeders one by food plot & creek, hogs were squeelen over by my bow stand, sat in tree stand between the two feeders, had it set up ta take video of laser-tag with cheap canon camera.. Hogs won that night... Didnt come inta corn.. During day, if ya find wallows in shady area, good place ta set up.... Best wishes flag
Posted By: Jaydub

Re: Hog hunting - 06/10/15 05:43 PM

I would think about corning the roads in the area you see sign. This may catch them crossing the roads and hold their attention for a while.
Posted By: Beckett

Re: Hog hunting - 06/11/15 05:55 PM

+2 on corning the roads. If they are wandering around they will stop and eat!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum