Texas Hunting Forum

Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/05/15 02:30 AM

This is from Monday night's hunt in the high oats down in Bosque County. This was the third sounder we saw that evening, the second of which we had a chance to shoot.

I should have seen this developing. I have watched these hogs do their things in the past. However, my partner was having a gear issue and I was trying to keep and eye on the hogs and figure out what was going on with his situation and I completely missed the significance of what was going on until it was too late.

Posted By: TomH FW

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/05/15 02:34 AM

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/05/15 02:38 AM

Been there done that ,,busted ,,,,one of those deals if you have not ,u will
Good video,,getting all the gear to work and good shot on video not that easy ,,,,

Like losing a bass at the boat ,,,, retie and start over ,,,,,,
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/05/15 03:28 AM

Yeah, I've had that happen on occasion when I'm trying to work into a safe shooting position. My so-called friends say it's small wonder the hogs can smell me so easily . . .

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/05/15 03:40 AM

Yeah, we were dealing with a variable wind that was supposed to be out of the north, but was out of the south about half the evening. Plus it was a full moon. If the hogs looked above the oats, they could just see us. It was bright enough that we could make out the closest hogs without the aid of NV or thermal.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/05/15 07:14 AM

Still fun!
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/05/15 12:30 PM

Thanks for the video, some new hog hunters don't believe me when I try to explain the communication process the pigs use. They also don't believe that certain pigs have roles when they are in groups.

Once you hear the grunt, the pigs are clearing out.

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/05/15 01:06 PM

Pigs definitely have their own language. Some groups are much more vocal than others. Sometimes you just gotta be close enough to hear them and watch them long enough to realize what is going on. Problem is, I am usually shooting long before that happens!
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/05/15 07:50 PM

Yup, I have stared at the north end of a south bound hog a few times. You'll get them next time.
Posted By: customcutter

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/05/15 08:15 PM

00Spy

Thanks for posting. I'd rather learn that trait from someone else, than learn it myself. Sometimes I learn the first time, and then again, sometimes it takes 2-3 tries before I figure it out.
Posted By: Jhop

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/06/15 05:26 PM

I don't care what folks say. Hogs can see a lot farther than people think. We've been busted hundreds of yards away on full moon nights by hogs. Should have shot the sential hog as soon ad he started staring at you. Sure the rest of hogs would have run off but next time they ate there they won't have that semtial hog to spot you so fast.

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/06/15 06:04 PM

One thing videos don't show is all the stuff going on behind the scenes and before the video. There was about 5 minutes of dead stalking video getting to this point after we got out of the truck, grabbed gear, and hopped the fence. When we could see them, the hogs generally looked oblivious until this point. So this wasn't a fast reaction by the sentinel hog. This was just the salient part of the video that shows where things went south.

Hogs acting as sentinels, if identified are my first targets. Sometimes they may be the proverbial lead sows, but not always and larger groups may have multiple individuals that are more vigilant than the rest. I have watched a group walk in where three individuals had their noses in the air for the first couple of minutes, while the rest went straight to the corn. The dynamics can be interesting to watch.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/06/15 09:33 PM

DNS wrote:

Quote:
Hogs acting as sentinels, if identified are my first targets. Sometimes they may be the proverbial lead sows, but not always and larger groups may have multiple individuals that are more vigilant than the rest. I have watched a group walk in where three individuals had their noses in the air for the first couple of minutes, while the rest went straight to the corn. The dynamics can be interesting to watch.

Good observations DNS. Your hog hunting prowess increases each year. Not solely by virtue of opportunity, but...because you have made it a point to study your quarry. Sometimes there is more to be learned from a failed encounter than a successful one.

Any number of hogs in a group might take on a 'sentinel' like position or exercise MORE caution than the rest of the group. Depends very much on circumstance and the individuals themselves.

You rightly noted that it isn't necessarily the 'Lead Sow' (a label I resist using, though I am guilty of doing so). Too many folks believe that the 'Alpha' animal in the group (not always a Sow) is responsible for literally 'leading' the group in every aspect of what they do. NOT true, to a large degree.

Yes, the social make up is Matriarchal (in the average group) and there IS an alpha hog in any established group, but the leadership role that hog plays varies wildly one group to the next.

Easy to pick out the 'Alpha' in some sounders. Nearly impossible in others. Only by watching them...will you learn this. As you have!

Good job Sir, and thank you for sharing it here!

Flint.
Posted By: Jhop

Re: Getting Busted By The Sentinel Hog - 06/07/15 02:39 PM

I'm sure hunting with a buddy that's having gear problems doesn't help. Trying to get everyone set and ready to shoot has cost me opportunities as well. Sounds like you know what to look for. Get'em next time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum