Texas Hunting Forum

Summer hogs

Posted By: Ghost-cfd

Summer hogs - 05/14/15 02:21 PM

Where do you guys hunt hogs in the summer? Do you hunt at night or do you have luck in the day?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Summer hogs - 05/14/15 02:30 PM

either or... right now with it being so wet youll catch them out just about whenever but night always seems to be better because it cools down. If you find a sweet little walla hole in the middle of the woods you got the ticket for hot humid daytime hunting.. youll know when they are using it hard because all the tree leaving the hole will be covered in mud from them rubbing on um...
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Summer hogs - 05/14/15 03:14 PM

What he said!

A game camera or two will help you get some idea of when they are active where you are.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Summer hogs - 05/14/15 03:21 PM

Looking at the Hog Kill Count this year ( 422 ) & past years, & scratch how many millions of hog's ... Hog's being able ta reproduce just shy of 3 times a year, average of 4ta5 ( light estamite ), with the rain we been having... Higher ground, shaded, out of the way area's with little or no hunting pressure, along rivers, streams, creaks would be first choice... Got a tree stand in between two corn feeders, with cam's monitoring the area... Still waiting here, weather still cool with rain... Got lights down at creek by feeder, tree stand is rigged for taking video of laser-tag hunt... Had hogs few months back squeelen by bow stand bout 150yrds give or take away at dark-thirty, blew my chance, stayed at feeders... Some times its just being in the right place right time... My best luck always been the WMA's during all legal meens.. No night hunts so hogs have less pressure, finding the hog's always been easy part, work is getting them out for grillen & chillen ... Not an expert, just what has workef best for me... Best wishes... flag
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Summer hogs - 05/16/15 11:59 PM

If you're not using night vision, once it gets hot I'd recommend hunting in the morning. I'm not an expert, but it seems that as the days get hotter, the hogs wait longer to go out foraging. In the middle of summer they're not likely to be out before dark. However, because they get a late start, they may stay out until sunup or slightly later. I'd try to get out and be in position at least a half-hour before sunrise, and stay out at least a half-hour after sunrise. If it's not blazing hot and I'm not in a hurry to get other things done I'll wait up to an hour and a half after sunup before heading back in.

Besides — I much prefer to clean hogs in daylight as opposed to darkness. grin
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Summer hogs - 05/19/15 02:41 PM

U had chance ta but boots on ground ? Its been slow here, Place have best luck hog hunten from what can tell is swampy.. Hopen hogs would folllow creeks.. Still got some coolweather.. One cam is down, rofl old age.. Best wishes... flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum