Texas Hunting Forum

Hog hunting tips part 1

Posted By: Texaslawman

Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/18/15 05:31 AM

I tried something a little different. If you like it let me know, maybe this will be easier to understand than me just writing about it here. Hope it helps someone out there.

Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/18/15 06:02 AM

cheers flag
Posted By: Jaydub

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/18/15 01:02 PM

Very nice. Thanks for putting this together and sharing.
Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/18/15 01:50 PM

Helpful, Yes!

Now I'd like to see other big time hunters come here and agree with the content or add their perspectives so that additional learning can occur.

The important thing you've done is provide scenarios and visuals that can be discussed clearly, a lot of times forum posts are too broad and that's when topics go sideways but here is an opportunity for other pros to weigh in.

I unfortunately don't qualify to add anything but I'm eager to check back for more comments saying yeah that works most times or nah I'd do this because...
Posted By: ZenArchery

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/18/15 02:40 PM

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/18/15 02:42 PM

Great job! Thanks for taking the time to put it together. That took some planning and thought. Thanks! cheers
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/18/15 02:52 PM

Very good video ,thanks for putting it together
Posted By: inkedagent

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/18/15 06:54 PM

up
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/18/15 08:40 PM

Great video!!!
Lots of good advice grin
Posted By: hdfireman

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/19/15 12:55 AM

Great video TLM. You discussed this same information to me years ago and it has helped me improve my hog killing tactics. Glad you shared this info with everyone
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/19/15 02:16 AM

I must admit, great video TLM. Most folks either don't know/care or don't think about things like this, they just start shooting. Nice to see there are those/others out there who actually put some thought into what they are doing before they do it. up
Thank you for pointing out the need to be quiet after the shot, not just right after the shot but zip it the whole time. Good video sir. cheers
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/19/15 03:38 AM

Very easy to understand video. Thanks for taking the time to make it.
Posted By: TXHuntFish4

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/19/15 09:10 PM

TLM, can you give any tips of how you approach the fields in the dark? Are you parking a long distance away. Are you using night vision or any special light(red/green).

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/19/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHuntFish4
TLM, can you give any tips of how you approach the fields in the dark? Are you parking a long distance away. Are you using night vision or any special light(red/green).

I use night vision and thermal to drive and spot using no visible light sources at all. Typically the hogs are spotted pretty far of and then I stalk up on foot downwind. There are times when you come right up on them I just drive on by like they were not there. They will usually go back to feeding as they think you can not see them at night. Then I'll circle back around on foot, this also keeps them from being scared of my vehicle. I try not to shoot from my truck if possible Do not want them to relate it with danger.

Of course thes tactics will work in the day or at night with a light, but with night vision and a suppressor they are more effective.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/19/15 11:11 PM

up Very good info, keep the videos coming !!
Posted By: 4dog

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/19/15 11:12 PM

Couldnt see nuthin...jist a big blank white spot...but im sure it was good !!

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/19/15 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: 4dog
Couldnt see nuthin...jist a big blank white spot...but im sure it was good !!

Update your Adobe.
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/20/15 03:10 AM

Great presentation and great shooting. Thanks for sharing. I'm headed over to Claude the end of March? I'll attempt to utilize some of the tactics.

We have a 200 acre field where I think I can give this a try. A lot of our lease is right on the edge of Palo Duro canyon. I generally set over the feeders that are near the edge. The problem with that is you get one shot and they head right for the canyon. My personal best on this lease is 2 in one sounder.

Not to hijack the thread but I have this neat little setup I use at the feeders. I bought several battery operated motion sensor lights from Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks a piece. I put red tail light tape over the bulb. They are then placed on the trails coming into the feeder. When they get close the light illuminates.

When the light goes on I know it is time to turn on the NV scope. I also occasionally use an ND3 and it has worked also.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/21/15 04:40 PM

Good stuff and very well presented. Thanks
Posted By: firemed13

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/21/15 09:51 PM

Thanks Texaslawman those are some great tips.
Posted By: ccreyeder

Re: Hog hunting tips part 1 - 02/23/15 09:33 PM

Great video!

I've never thought (or really never knew about the lead sow) about shooting the leading hog. Usually, I just shoot the biggest, or really, the one I can get the best bead on lol...

now.. if you could just do a video on FINDING them lol.. I walked for hours this last sat night and came up empty lol .. frown
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum