Texas Hunting Forum

Nemesis Hog

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Nemesis Hog - 01/26/15 02:48 PM

Ever have one of those hogs that you just don't seem to be able to shoot? I have this guy. He is my nemesis. He has been coming since November, maybe longer. November is when I took notice of him. He does not pattern. My neighbor says it is like the hog has been to escape and evasion school. He doesn't show up two nights in a row, usually. Of the several cameras on property, he will usually appear in only one camera on a given night. His timing varies between 10:00 pm and 4:00 am. He may skip 2 days to 2 weeks between visits.

I have sat for him several times with absolutely no luck, though he may be getting comfortable. I have a game cam sequence of him at the feeder and then I collected this sequence of him rooting up part of my food plot.

He isn't big, but over the last three months, I have watched him grow...

Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Re: Nemesis Hog - 01/26/15 04:46 PM

They eventually slip up and grendel/zeus will be there...
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Nemesis Hog - 01/26/15 10:58 PM

I have one of those. Purely random visitation. He'll show up once a week or so.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Nemesis Hog - 01/26/15 11:25 PM

I have 2, one a spotted boar, the other a barr and would both go over 300. Just can't close the deal on them & has been that way going on 5yrs now. On a different place I have a barr that's a giant as well with big cutters, he Started hitting random feeders in '07 and still around as of Thanksgiving.
Posted By: Slicktricked

Re: Nemesis Hog - 01/27/15 12:08 AM

I have one. I call him "big black". He shows up once a week, at different feeders, anywhere from 12:00 p.m. To 11:59 a.m.
Posted By: 4dog

Re: Nemesis Hog - 01/27/15 01:48 AM

I got one..no camera shots..but he is HUGE with a very long snout and a white chest seen him up close and personal...wrong side of the truck...could almost look into the passenger window and ask for a lift.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Nemesis Hog - 01/27/15 04:20 PM

Over the 40 years I've been hunting pigs, I've had many.
They bust me and get educated.
It makes me try harder and smarter.
So far it has worked and I eventually got the ones I was after.
Sometimes it took a couple of seasons to get them.

I'm after three right now.
First is a pair of educated boars.
They are only 180ish but they are smart and work together well.
They busted me again last night but I did see them for about 6 seconds - they were looking right at me while I was looking right at them with a handheld night vision scanner so I didn't move - I knew I was busted and didn't have time to put the hand scanner down and pick up rifle and get off a safe shot so I held off - we will meet again some day or night.
There was enough ambient light that I didn't need IR illumination so that's not what scared them.
Yeah, they can get to the point they recognize IR illuminators and IR cameras and may avoid the area with cameras if they have been hunted with night vision and IR illuminators.

The other one is an old fat pig that either got out of someones pen or was caught and castrated.
He is one of the bigger pigs I've seen on my cameras and his jowls and gut almost drag the ground.
I've seen him on my cameras at various places but he and I haven't been in the same place at one time yet that I know of....he's probably watching me all the time and didn't get that fat running towards gun shots and people - LOL!

When you get one you've been after for a long time it does feel good.

Re: Nemesis Hog - 02/04/15 07:53 AM

Now i have two...Moby..and Khan....these pigs have me dreaming about them..i think im obsessed with hog hunting! Aaaarrrgghh!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Nemesis Hog - 02/04/15 12:47 PM

It seems many of us understand that sentiment, 4dog!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Nemesis Hog - 02/04/15 05:35 PM

bang You guys are way better than me. Tip my cowboyhat. i cant even get with in 50# of a hogs weight. Let alone tell differeance from one hog from another. flag
Posted By: Beckett

Re: Nemesis Hog - 02/04/15 09:18 PM

We killed all the dumb ones last year and are left with hogs like yours. All show up random times, random days.

I put about 20 hours in the blind last month with no luck. Superbowl night my wife had her family over for a party and it was my excuse to give it another try. On my walk to the field (6:30 PM) I got a text that the camera had taken a picture at 6:31. Snuck up on the field and shot 2 out of a group of approximately 20. I figured it was my lucky night so I sat in the blind and shot number 3 at 9:30 PM.

It's just a matter of time...........

Re: Nemesis Hog - 02/05/15 11:13 PM

I think new hoggers get a misconception that hogs are just waiting at feeders for some joe to show up and put some lead in em....it just aint so...ive waited for four months at times for hogs to return to the feeder after getting one.....got one last night at 6:00 about 150yrds away from feeder...left ...hogs returned shortly after and cleaned out all the corn under the feeder.....ya just never know...last year i got two an hour apart,, bout the same exact spot....they are a mystery.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum