Texas Hunting Forum

Newbie Hog Hunter

Posted By: fish123

Newbie Hog Hunter - 01/02/15 04:22 AM

I am hunting a new place in Anderson county. There is a mixture of pine and hardwoods with a creek. I see fresh hog tracks in the creek and in other areas of the property but I don't see a whole lot of hog trails. I would love to hunt hogs outside of deer season. We have had feeders out since Mid October and have only seen one hog on the cams. We see plenty of deer at the feeders. I am wondering if hogs are perhaps eating acorns and therefore not coming to the feeder or if all the pressure from deer season is running them off? Or if maybe there are certain months where hogs constantly come to feeders or some months that they prefer to root and eat other foods? I figured if they are in the city at the park near my house in Dallas they would be at the property in East Texas but so far that has not been the case.

Anyway what are your thoughts and have you all had the similar experiences?
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Newbie Hog Hunter - 01/02/15 04:43 AM

Mixture of both....they are eating acorns and move when pressured. If in the area, they should start hitting your feeders very soon. I have very few hog pics on my feeders from Oct 15th to Jan 15th each year and we have tons of hogs in the area. I see many along the creek in a few of my stands. They go from tree to tree eating the crude out of acorns and root on the soft soil on warm days for bugs/worms. If you have a wheat field it is golden right now through the harvest.
Posted By: fish123

Re: Newbie Hog Hunter - 01/02/15 05:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Our place is full of American Beautyberry. Does anyone know if hogs or deer eat the berries?
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Newbie Hog Hunter - 01/02/15 07:08 AM

They eat about anything. Pretty sure the American Beautyberry is low on the list though.
They will be back at the feeders after deer season.
Might try baiting with something other than corn.
Posted By: JHOG

Re: Newbie Hog Hunter - 01/02/15 02:36 PM

They will come once deer hunting dies off as stated. It wouldn't surprise me if you start seeing small to medium size groups within the next few weeks.
Posted By: 22hemi13

Re: Newbie Hog Hunter - 01/02/15 03:22 PM

Heck yeah. Time to get the feeder lights out and move my stand a lil closer Love my blind on wheels
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum