Texas Hunting Forum

Daughter killed a boar

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Daughter killed a boar - 01/02/15 01:07 AM

Went to the lease this weekend and my middle daughter took a pretty nice boar. We sat for an evening deer hunt and she took over after legal shooting light. I set her up with my AR topped with a Sightmark Photon 3.5 NV Scope loaded with Barnes 70 grain TSX. Once the boar came out she put the crosshairs on his ear and pulled the trigger. All we heard was click and the boar walked off. I quickly grabbed the gun, cycled another round into the chamber and we waited again. When the boar showed back up, she put the crosshairs on the boar and pulled the trigger a second time. Once again, all we heard was a click and the boar walks off a second time. To say the two of us were dejected would be an understatement.

Out of pure frustration I gave her my Remmy 700 chamered in .308 topped with a Vortex PST. I was hoping the pig would show up again, but didn't have high hopes. We waited another 5 minutes and another boar walked out. She put the scope on him, I turned on my handy red flash light and she dropped the hammer. This time we got a resounding boom, and a pig lying on the ground. The 168 grain AMax did it's job and put the pig down in his tracks.

We walked up to check the pig out, and she said "Dad the pig isn't dead". I had kicked it twice in the rump and poked it's head with my foot, so I confidentially told her the pig was dead. I reached down and grabbed the pigs ear to lift it's head, and turns out my daugher was right. The pig made a growling type sound and shook his head side to side, so I quickly put two in his head with the trusty Glock 19. All I can say is I almost crapped my pants when the pig moved after I picked up his head.

The boar weighed in at exactly 170 pounds.

I'm very proud of my daughter for sticking with the hunt after so many things worked against her.

I'm not sure what caused the FTF, but both rounds had very light dimple marks from the firing pin. I had tested the rifle the day before and it worked perfect. I put another lower on the rifle the following day and fired the two rounds with no issue. I'm going to clean the lower really well and try it again.

Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/02/15 01:14 AM

Glad you guys are ok.
Congrats on a successful hunt!
cheers
Posted By: pdog2062

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/02/15 01:16 AM

I bet she is proud and she should be!!
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/02/15 02:24 AM

Congrats that's awesome aim rifle
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/02/15 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: JRJ6
Glad you guys are ok.
cheers

cheers +1 flag
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/02/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
Originally Posted By: JRJ6
Glad you guys are ok.
cheers

cheers +1 flag

X3
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/03/15 02:16 AM

That's a good looking hog gooden fat
Posted By: David D.

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/03/15 06:54 AM

up
Posted By: BMD

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/03/15 07:11 AM

up
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/03/15 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: pdog2062
I bet she is proud and she should be!!

X2 up texas
Posted By: altez

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/04/15 12:00 AM

Proud dad!!
Posted By: erok11

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/04/15 08:23 PM

cheers
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/04/15 09:10 PM

Two miss fires and she still held her aim. up
That's a dang good shooter you have there. Congrats to her for patients, good shooting, and a good sized hog.
Posted By: MN Hunter

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/05/15 07:15 PM

Nice pig.
Posted By: tworod

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/06/15 09:40 PM

That same exact thing happened to me, I walked up on a group and 2 misfires, found out from a friend that sometimes you have to push the forward assist to get it seated properly, never had to do that before on mine but I make sure I do it now. It may be caused by being dirty but I did not know that until it happened. Glad she got the hog though, i walked away with nothing.
Posted By: rotor_wrench

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/07/15 01:47 AM

Awesome!...congrats to your daughter!!
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/07/15 02:00 AM

clap
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Daughter killed a boar - 01/07/15 02:29 AM

Congrats to both of you. She looks very proud and should be. Be careful immediately cycling a misfire as you may experience a hangfire. There can be a delayed ignition for various reasons.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum