Texas Hunting Forum

Best hog caliber

Posted By: Gut Shot C

Best hog caliber - 11/13/14 03:01 AM

I am debating on whether to get a 308 or a 270, which one do y'all think is best?
Posted By: Stealthjr

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/13/14 03:12 AM

Both will kill, not sure there is a wrong answer...but I'd choose the .308 every time! Since it sounds like you haven't bought anything yet, dont rule out a 30-06 if he opportunity presents itself.
Posted By: Gut Shot C

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/13/14 03:29 AM

I have a 270 single shot Thompson but I wanted a bolt action for hogs.
Posted By: davvy

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/13/14 09:15 AM

270 has a flatter trajectory, 308 leaves a bigger hole. That's the only practical difference in the field so its up to you to decide which is more important to you.
Posted By: Keechi Kid

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/13/14 04:22 PM

With those two, bullet choice will make a much bigger difference in efficacy than any difference in the calibers.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/13/14 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: davvy
270 has a flatter trajectory, 308 leaves a bigger hole. That's the only practical difference in the field so its up to you to decide which is more important to you.

cheers i have a 270 took m flag y biggest hog with it. from my closest shot to farthest shot. it's been pudding em down. lately been using & having great success with .223 cheep .55gr fmj, all close range shots. got a great deal on 55gr hps. they keep saying hogs will be back. i still waiting. some times me mind wonders, in my defence i go for weeks with out seeing people, some times months. back can't say bout the 308. give a up for the 270 here. my posts are cheep. best wishes
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/13/14 04:59 PM

They're both good. Is there any difference in price or availability for the ammo?

FWIW, I use a .308 and like it, but my main reason for buying it over a .30-06 or a .270 was that my buddy has one and since we're using the same caliber, we can share ammo if necessary.

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/13/14 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Gut Shot C
I am debating on whether to get a 308 or a 270, which one do y'all think is best?

popcorn theirs some good info. maybe if ya explain type of terrain. thick, open range. the distances, 50-100+yrds. is it gonna be used for other than just hog hunts. my posts are cheep, best wishes flag
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/13/14 08:34 PM

I like the .270 but I don't like the long action, distance vs velocity the .270 wins but I'll stick with my .308's up.

I got another one coming in today woot
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/14/14 02:32 PM

I have shot MANY pigs with both 308 Win and 270 Win. I don't know that my dead pigs could tell you which one they don't like more.

PotAYto, Potato.
Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/14/14 02:41 PM

best hog killer is shot placement. Put it in the right spot and either gun is just as deadly as the next.

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/14/14 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: cowboybam58
best hog killer is shot placement. Put it in the right spot and either gun is just as deadly as the next.

cheers great success with my pirret rifle AR-15 bullets are cheaper. till every one got caught up in that bullet scare. supply & demand every one started buying all the bullets on shelves, causing demand, then prices went up ta supply. i keep my shots close range, its usualy moving target, not a lot of energy. guys with good english can explain it bedder dan me. as pappy always say's: a 270 or 308 gives more room for air flag
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/14/14 04:39 PM

either one is just fine. i use a 30.06 in addition to the 270 and 308 - don't forget about that caliber
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/14/14 07:41 PM

3006 sucks, why would anybody promote barrel length and recoil?

Posted By: 1riot1ranger

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/14/14 08:23 PM

125 gr NAP worked for me last time. banana passed through and hit a second hog we couldnt find.
Either of those calibers will kill just as dead. I would pick 270 because it's easy to find cheap ammo and if your shooting hogs there is no need for expensive bullets
Posted By: Bucksnorter

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/15/14 12:56 PM

I have a Steyr SSG in .308. Love it. Only downside is everytime there is a gun ban scare i cant find ammo. Kids shoot .270 and it kills everything it fires at. As stated earlier, terrain will be the biggest factor. If you are in the market for a new rifle I have seen, but not used , the Ruger .308 scout. i like the way it sets up with the forward mountable optics rail and short overall length of the gun.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/15/14 03:18 PM

Like everybody already said, both work well.

Since you already have a single shot 270, you could share ammo and components and that would make it cheaper.
On the other hand, if you also have a .308 also, that would even it out!

Shot placement always trumps thump: If you don't hit 'em, it don't matter what you shoot at them.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/15/14 03:30 PM

I have killed more hogs with .243 than any other caliber. Neck shots for boars (to save the skulls) and head shots for everything else. However,I am in the process of building a Weatherby .308 with the ATN X-Sight. I bought the Winchester Razorback XT ammo to try with this setup. I want to see if I can shoot large boars in the shoulder at 50 to 100 yards and knock them down. I am wanting DRT and nothing else. Those hogs just don't leave a blood trail.

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/15/14 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I have killed more hogs with .243 than any other caliber. Neck shots for boars (to save the skulls) and head shots for everything else. However,I am in the process of building a Weatherby .308 with the ATN X-Sight. I bought the Winchester Razorback XT ammo to try with this setup. I want to see if I can shoot large boars in the shoulder at 50 to 100 yards and knock them down. I am wanting DRT and nothing else. Those hogs just don't leave a blood trail.

scratch if ya talken bout blood trail from a .243 compaired with a .308 diamitur of bullet has something ta do with it, along with shot place ment. have taken many hogs with .223 55gr fmj & had great success. heart & lung shots. theirs small entry & exit wound unless it hit bone. most blood stays in cavity. reason have had success, keep shots ta close range 30yrds or less. most are in thick terrain, & hog usualy moving &heart &lung bigger target. hit bout 300# hog at 100yrds from hunting stand with.270 heart lung shot. it came in at sound of spinner. it went bout two foot. dropped. Target practice is one thing. hunting lots of varabless. if got good shot gonna try the head &neck with the .223 on the 50+ yrds shot here at blind. up .308 isn't that bout double size diamitor of .270 scratch be more shock wave. good blood trail, if shot is little off. have hit few 300+# hogs with 30-30 back in the day, & Ray Charles could have followed blood trail, even in the dark rofl best wishes flag
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/17/14 02:01 AM

I used from .223 up to 45-70. I've gotten to where I carry my .243 for hogs and coyotes. I'm sure I'll switch back to the .223 sooner or later. I like the rapid fire capability if a large group shows up. Most anything will work on them I think. Either of your 2 listed are good for anything at all around these parts. Good luck.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/25/14 02:53 AM

I'm a 308 person. But for hogs I don't use it - use the AR. Though I may try out my 300 Win Mag for fun.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/25/14 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Stealthjr
Both will kill, not sure there is a wrong answer...but I'd choose the .308 every time! Since it sounds like you haven't bought anything yet, dont rule out a 30-06 if he opportunity presents itself.

I prefer the 30-06, but use the .270 cal as well. .308 is used by military, police, etc. currently, and basically that round replaced the aught 6 as a cheaper alternative...(less powder, less brass expense with the same basic results) Hope this information helps.
Posted By: BunnyBlaster

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/25/14 04:09 AM

223 ... cheap 223

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/25/14 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: TxYoteHunter
I used from .223 up to 45-70. I've gotten to where I carry my .243 for hogs and coyotes. I'm sure I'll switch back to the .223 sooner or later. I like the rapid fire capability if a large group shows up. Most anything will work on them I think. Either of your 2 listed are good for anything at all around these parts. Good luck.

I also like the rapid fire/knockdown capability (and light weight) of my semi auto 30-06's with 10 shot clips...had several guys bringing AR's around, mostly they seemed to have to shoot one hog like 10 or 20 times to get them down (even with 62 gr. FMJ) instead of one shot from my 06.... just saying, more firepower is good when hog hunting...not less
Posted By: Stegar

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/25/14 05:19 PM

I want to use my .454 Lever Action on a hog. it throws a 300 gr XTP at 2349 fps. I hope I get the chance to see how it works.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/25/14 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Originally Posted By: Stealthjr
Both will kill, not sure there is a wrong answer...but I'd choose the .308 every time! Since it sounds like you haven't bought anything yet, don't rule out a 30-06 if he opportunity presents itself.

I prefer the 30-06, but use the .270 cal as well. .308 is used by military, police, etc. currently, and basically that round replaced the aught 6 as a cheaper alternative...(less powder, less brass expense with the same basic results) Hope this information helps.

Actually, I think the primary reason the military replaced the .30-06 with the .308 was to take the advantage of the shorter cartridge. It's particularly advantageous in machine guns since the bolt doesn't have to move as far to cycle the next round. With the development of newer powders one can get pretty much the same performance from a .308 as from a .30-06. Inherently, the.308 seems to be a slightly more accurate round as indicated by the fact that national shooting competitions had to make the targets smaller once the .308 came onto the scene, and .308 dominates it's class at the national level. However, the difference in accuracy is very slight and only really observable at the national championship level. For you and me it's insignificant. I know I don't possess any rifles capable of competing at that level even if I could shoot that well — which I don't.

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/26/14 05:22 PM

Yes, der teufel, I agree with your assessment...and coincidentally, the overall cost savings was the thing that sealed the deal in congress...because as we all know getting the government to adopt any new program via congressional approval must include a significant cost savings...hey, they are always trying to collect more taxes and cut costs!

Now, that said, when I go after hogs I like to be over gunned...Personally, I have killed hogs with a .22lr up through a 45-70 govt. Depending on your hunting method, will depend on the caliber you can "get away with"...many times a smaller caliber is fine, especially if you only to want to shoot one hog and have the time to shoot it in the ear hole. Myself, I prefer any .30 caliber round and consider the 7.62x39 an excellent hog round, as well. If I were only able to shoot one caliber it would be a 30-06, 308, or 7.62x39 through a semi auto rifle...due to the wide bullet weight assortment the 30-06 would get my nod, because you can shoot basically any animal on the North American continent with it, save grizzly/brown bears, with complete confidence. Hope this information helps....
Posted By: casterbuster

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/27/14 07:30 PM

This. 450 bushmaster

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/28/14 04:45 AM

nice rig casterbuster, but 4 pounds or so too heavy for these old legs (back)...I like to hang onto a 7lb semi auto...
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/28/14 02:14 PM

For work quietly under a feeder, I like my ruger bolt rifle in a 300 blackout. If running and gunning then my 300 blackout in my 8 in SBR and by HM Defence, both with a AAC SDN-6 attached.

Ed
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/28/14 02:57 PM

The best is the one where you can put the bullet behind the ear at 100 yards, which means the one you shoot a lot and won't kick the "Mule out of you." Personally, I have a .243 and .308 and my .243 will do anything I want it to do in Texas.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/28/14 03:03 PM

I recall when SKSs could be had at gun shows for around 100 dollars back in the 90s. I would see west Texas ranchers with hog problems buying 3 or 4 to always have one handy. I talked to one who said the round worked very well on hogs and the cheap rifle while not that accurate was very reliable. Not sure what worked well meant to them since they were exterminating-not hunting and recovery was not that big a deal.
Posted By: casterbuster

Re: Best hog caliber - 11/30/14 02:58 AM

Surprisingly lighter than you think.... Added weight to manage recoil....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum