Texas Hunting Forum

Total knee replacement

Posted By: Jimbo1

Total knee replacement - 09/19/20 09:34 PM

Looking for real world (last few years) experiences with a Total Knee Replacement (TNR) surgery. Mainly...was it outpatient? How long was your recovery? And what kind of rehab/PT did you do.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/20/20 01:34 AM

Both of my parents had both of their knees replaced. My dad had his done in 2013 (79 yo), my mother in 2015 (73 yo). The doc had them both up and out of bed and into rehab right after their surgery. They had some pain and discomfort but recovered from it pretty quick. The only issues they have is they're unable to get up without assistance if they get down on their knees but that seems to be a common issue for people their age whether or not they've had a knee replacement.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/20/20 02:35 PM

following for mine in january

infection is the key, need nurse to rehab the first week. change dressings, etc.

i think getting up and moving is key and keeping it clean

pain?
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/20/20 03:25 PM

My buddy Montag is a joint replacement guy. He indicates the number one priority is diligently following the and adhering to the PT regimen- it's a must in his eyes. He's been in on thousands of knee replacements.

Hang in there and take care of yourself. When complete, you will have wished you had it done sooner.

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/20/20 06:50 PM

Started having pain in the knee a year ago. Osteoarthritis and pretty much bone on bone, got a cortisone shot and it was gtg until a few months ago when I stepped back off a ladder thinking I was on the bottom step. Well, turned out I was on the second step. Didn't fall down but 300lbs was too much for that knee. Went back to the Ortho and after a MRI said my knee was a goner but we could try another shot and see if we could get another year out of it but would definitely require a total replacement in the future. So the shot gave some temporary relief but this last week has been terrible. So much pain and extreme difficulty getting up and down. Was hoping to schedule the TNR after deer season but I don't think that's an option now. I'm calling the Ortho first thing in the morning.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/20/20 07:29 PM

I wish you luck. My brother had both of his replaced and never had a bit of trouble with either of them. A friend of mine has had the same knee replaced twice and has had a terrible time both times. It's still not good. I certainly have no idea why some go smoothly and some don't.
Posted By: wingnut

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/21/20 02:22 AM

I had a total knee replacement 3 yrs ago. 2 days in the hospital. Lots if pain and took lots of pain pills. Heavy physical therapy: leg lifts, bending, stretching, tens machine (shock), exercise bike. After 3 weeks it started getting a lot better and soon felt great. 6 wks PT total, some at home. I need to get the other one done before too long.

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/21/20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by wingnut
I had a total knee replacement 3 yrs ago. 2 days in the hospital. Lots if pain and took lots of pain pills. Heavy physical therapy: leg lifts, bending, stretching, tens machine (shock), exercise bike. After 3 weeks it started getting a lot better and soon felt great. 6 wks PT total, some at home. I need to get the other one done before too long.

yep i need both mine done, wish i could do both at same time. not sure id survive especially without becoming a junkie
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/21/20 03:40 PM

My mom had both hers done at same time, walked out of hospital and never took pain meds after she left hospital. She said rehab will definitely let you know you are alive. She was back fishing in two weeks

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/21/20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
My mom had both hers done at same time, walked out of hospital and never took pain meds after she left hospital. She said rehab will definitely let you know you are alive. She was back fishing in two weeks

Thats awesome !!

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/21/20 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by wingnut

That's what I needed to hear. My next Ortho appt is tomorrow afternoon. Hoping to get it done quick so I can still deer hunt.

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/22/20 11:50 PM

Dec 7 is my surgery day. Had to wait until at least 1st week of Nov because of the last cortisone shot. Overnight in the hospital, 2 weeks in-home therapy, 6 weeks outpatient therapy. So At least I get the first month of deer season.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/23/20 12:38 AM

hey Jimbo1 here is a thread i started last year when i had both knees done ay the same time. Various docs told me that I needed total knee replacement . Talked to some friends and had another doc look at me. after a set of xrays & a 30 min discussion . i went with a partial knee replacement on both knees . rehab is about the same. but you keep 90% of your original knee.

here is the post with everything that happened:

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7524373/1

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/23/20 12:49 AM

if you have 30 min to spare i suggest you get a 2nd opinion on total knee replacement vs partial knee replacement. This guy is the real deal. have friends that had less than Steller results with there knee replacement surgery and went to DR Appleton to fix the other docs screw up. he is well know and highly respected in the community. just check out his reviews. he did both my knees at same time with no problems. suggest you take 30min and get a 2nd opinion!!!!!!!!!!! feel free to PM me if you have ant questions. hetman(aka Steve)

J. Stephen Appleton, MD

https://www.bswhealth.com/physician/john-appleton

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/23/20 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by hetman
hey Jimbo1 here is a thread i started last year when i had both knees done ay the same time. Various docs told me that I needed total knee replacement . Talked to some friends and had another doc look at me. after a set of xrays & a 30 min discussion . i went with a partial knee replacement on both knees . rehab is about the same. but you keep 90% of your original knee.

here is the post with everything that happened:

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7524373/1

Hey Steve. I appreciate the info. I was looking for that thread but couldn't find it.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/23/20 04:31 AM

My mom did that too. Rehab was a bitch but she was off pain meds when she went home. Steve knows, he has done it..

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/23/20 02:34 PM

I'll ask my doctor about partial replacements when I get my last injections in December.

He was pretty adamant about total replacement when he saw my x rays (ugly). I can really feel my left one when I try and bend over to pull a weed or dog chit..

we'll see but they are definitely SHOT

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/23/20 04:18 PM

Interesting subject

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=full+knee+replacement+vs+partial+
Posted By: wingnut

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/28/20 03:27 PM

Before I left the hospital, the doctor who did my total knee replacement came by the room and said, "You're new knee will be good for 25 years. You're 65. . . . that ought to do ya." Thanks for the picker upper, Doc. grin
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/28/20 03:44 PM

Well I’ll be the unlucky one with bad news lol, my surgery went ok but I ended up with blood clots in my lungs which wasn’t fun. The replacement itself was easy, as long as you make sure they send you home with an ice machine or purchase one ahead of time your good. They will 100% make your recovery the difference between tolerable and miserable... I’ve had 14 surgeries on my left leg and before I found the ice machine every surgery sucked, with ice machine they really aren’t that bad.
Just be very careful after you get it done, your femur looses some of its strength over time and breaks easier, a knee replacement is easy, busted femur is a nightmare. I’m 47 and I slipped off a tractor only dropping maybe 3 feet and it exploded right above my replacement. That’s why they tell you to stay off ladders after receiving one, 😳 [Linked Image]

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/28/20 04:27 PM

Thats terrible! I hope you've recovered.

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/28/20 05:19 PM

I did it Sep 11th 2019 and I’m still learning how to walk again lol but I’ll be fine. It took forever to heal enough to go weight bearing. Just glad to be able to hunt this year 👍

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/28/20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I did it Sep 11th 2019 and I’m still learning how to walk again lol but I’ll be fine. It took forever to heal enough to go weight bearing. Just glad to be able to hunt this year 👍

Wow, glad you're getting better. Stepping back off a ladder got me in this mess. There will be no ladder work for me for at least a year after my surgery. I would like to ask you to elaborate on the "ice machine" if you would. My doc never mentioned that but I do have a "joint" class to attend next month so maybe they'll advise it.

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/28/20 10:45 PM

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/29/20 12:15 AM

Thanks for the video, never knew that existed. While I watched this one, I discovered some really helpful videos from "Talking with Docs." I watched a half dozen already.

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/29/20 01:03 AM

This is the one I use. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Cast

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/29/20 01:29 AM

One of those rigs save my life when I blew my knee.

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/29/20 04:28 PM

getting injection today, hoping it will get me through hunting season. i'll ask my surgeon about the ice machine

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/30/20 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
getting injection today, hoping it will get me through hunting season. i'll ask my surgeon about the ice machine

My last one in Aug didn't work. Bad thing is Dr won't operate within 3 months of the shot so I opted to wait until Dec 7 so I can get the first month of deer season in. I'm hurting pretty bad but I'll tough it out.

Re: Total knee replacement - 09/30/20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

My last one in Aug didn't work. Bad thing is Dr won't operate within 3 months of the shot so I opted to wait until Dec 7 so I can get the first month of deer season in. I'm hurting pretty bad but I'll tough it out.

I'm with you Jimbo1, I dont think the shots can help me much anymore

BTW, FRozen Peas to manage swelling confused2

Re: Total knee replacement - 10/01/20 11:55 PM

I just had pretty invasive ankle surgery Tuesday.

I’ve used a lot of ice Machines.

This is the best https://gameready.com/ and what I’m currently using. Compression and ice
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Total knee replacement - 10/02/20 01:09 AM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news Buzz, but once you're at the point where no injections make a difference, you really only have one option.....TKR.

Re: Total knee replacement - 10/02/20 07:38 PM

This is the best https://gameready.com/ and what I’m currently using. Compression and ice

Bobo, you mind sharing what precipitated the surgery?

Re: Total knee replacement - 10/02/20 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by aerangis

Bobo, you mind sharing what precipitated the surgery?

Abuse finally caught up so was time for clean up and tighting, I’d been putting it off and just figure it was time, since I started to lock up. Next stop is stem in both knees and L5.

Seriously that Gamechanger ice and compression machine is second to none.

[Linked Image]

Re: Total knee replacement - 10/02/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jgraider

Hate to be the bearer of bad news Buzz, but once you're at the point where no injections make a difference, you really only have one option.....TKR.

you are correct J
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Total knee replacement - 10/03/20 12:42 AM

Had to cancel my TKR due to Covid. Both are bone on bone. I got Ossur Offloading braces which separates your upper and lower leg bones. They work but over time will give you atrophy in your calf muscles which leads to balance issues. My doc and lead nurse hold a class on TKR and I learned a lot, especially about very high protein diet prior to surgery. I've heard both good and bad stories, but one thing I do know is if you put it off, you will develop hip issues. I hope to get mine done next year. Good luck sir!

Re: Total knee replacement - 10/03/20 01:01 PM

I have the TKR class at the end of the month. Dr did mention high protein shakes and prenatal vitamins starting a month before to a month after surgery. And yes, I have started having hip issues. Goog luck to all going through this.

Re: Total knee replacement - 10/03/20 05:55 PM

I have the TKR class at the end of the month. Dr did mention high protein shakes and prenatal vitamins starting a month before to a month after surgery. And yes, I have started having hip issues. Goog luck to all going through this.

=
+1
Posted By: Black Horse

Re: Total knee replacement - 10/20/20 05:27 AM

Hetman,
I had both knees done at same time, February 14, 2020. Dr. Appleton and his team on my left one and Dr. Khalid Yousef on the right. They might be one of the finest Ortho teams anywhere. My home care RN was assigned, my Home PT was very good and had me showing tremendous flexion within a couple of sessions. Getting off on the good foot is the key. Outpatient pt was a lot of work. Got off the pain meds after about 5 days. I’ve never had surgery before but what an experience. Medicare and a Plan N Supplemental policy paid for it...all.

Re: Total knee replacement - 10/20/20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Black Horse
Hetman,
I had both knees done at same time, February 14, 2020. Dr. Appleton and his team on my left one and Dr. Khalid Yousef on the right. They might be one of the finest Ortho teams anywhere. My home care RN was assigned, my Home PT was very good and had me showing tremendous flexion within a couple of sessions. Getting off on the good foot is the key. Outpatient pt was a lot of work. Got off the pain meds after about 5 days. I’ve never had surgery before but what an experience. Medicare and a Plan N Supplemental policy paid for it...all.

Good deal.
My doc said he will have my knee operating correctly before I leave the table but afterwards it'll be up to me doing rehab to keep it that way.
Posted By: Papa Stan

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/13/20 04:05 AM

Had mine done 5 yrs ago and so glad I did. I could hardly walk by the end of the day and had to have pain reliever to sleep. I was in the hospital 3 days and was able to walk out without a walker. Just follow the rehab. Best wishes.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/14/20 03:51 AM

I have one of the ice machines if anyone needs one. I live in Graham, West of Ft. Worth.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/16/20 01:18 PM

Dang! Serious question, what have all y'all done to your knees and hips that lead to a replacement? HS sports, Army Rangers?
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/16/20 06:23 PM

prayers to you
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/16/20 07:43 PM

My Dad and MIL have each had both their knees done by Dr. Schubert at the Carrell Clinic (he may have retired now). My Dad did NOT do the PT like he should have on the first knee and learned his lesson for the 2nd. Lot of pain meds for him both times. MIL listened to his advice on the PT and had zero problems and didn't even take the meds on either of hers. Both were in the hospital overnight and they pretty much get you up and moving that same day. I was really impressed how quickly my MIL was pretty much back to normal....my Dad doesn't listen and was falling off ladders and chit two weeks in because he was doing things he wasn't supposed to be doing. Don't be my Dad about it and it really shouldn't be too much to worry about.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/16/20 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Paluxy
Dang! Serious question, what have all y'all done to your knees and hips that lead to a replacement? HS sports, Army Rangers?

I haven't had replacement yet, but it is inevitable. Years of abuse - center on football teams from elementary through HS, sometimes catcher of baseball teams, dirt bike riding/racing, and the worst for me, believe it or not, was wrestling through JH and HS. Something about the twisting motion gave me fits with my knees. Both knees are bad, but the left is bone on bone and it burns at times, especially after climbing stairs, making it difficult to sleep through the night.

Was getting the hyalgan (chicken comb) injections from a clinic in Dallas and they helped alot, but then they stopped doing both knees at same appointment, meaning multiple trips over from Fort Worth, which was a problem with work. May have to explore starting these again to prolong getting on the replacement list.

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/16/20 10:37 PM

being overweight for 68 years, wore them out i guess

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/17/20 03:40 PM

College football, PRCA/USCRA, Colts, Ranching, Military, Skiing, hunting etc

No particular order but I would say athletics set base, and everything else just contributed. I think I will beat it. I was told at 35 by 3 Doctors I’d needed partials, my last scope clean out showed I was near a full. I've invested a lot of money in regenerative medicine and rehab to counter. So far I'm winning, between knees, ankles and L5 it's been a struggle, but I feel every morning I get up, stretch and work out it feels just a little better.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/17/20 06:45 PM

and I thought you might have turned your ankle after catching it on the door jam of the little car you were exiting.

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/17/20 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
and I thought you might have turned your ankle after catching it on the door jam of the little car you were exiting.

Clown car clap

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/19/20 01:48 AM

Had my pre-op appt today for my 12/07 TNR. Scheduled my Covid test for 12/03. Getting close.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/19/20 07:05 PM

https://youtu.be/8YAgrv9dkhc

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/19/20 07:07 PM

You get an ice machine or going to just wing it?

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/19/20 09:44 PM

Rent one of these

https://gameready.com/
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/19/20 09:48 PM

A buddy had it Monday. He seems to be getting around ok.
Walked 1/4 mile Tuesday.

Go for it.

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/20/20 09:53 PM

No ice machine. They will supply a wrap with interchangeable freezer bags. I'm ready, can barely walk now. Bone on bone.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/27/20 05:58 AM

Ice machine is your buddy. Why would you kill that...

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/27/20 06:20 AM

Rent one of these

How cold do those get, about like a traditional old style ice machine?

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/27/20 06:30 AM

No ice machine. They will supply a wrap with interchangeable freezer bags. I'm ready, can barely walk now. Bone on bone.

If anyone could bring one of mine to you your welcome to borrow it. I understand you can’t know what you don’t know but when your home recovering your misery index won’t be as high.
I wish you the best brother, keep us posted and I’ll send up a prayer for you on the morning of your surgery..

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/27/20 04:09 PM

Good Luck Jimbo

I'm following closely. I have my appointment for 12/16 to schedule mine
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/30/20 02:25 AM

UPS for 41 years, driver majority of that time. I'll have to do something next year, tried a stem cell shot 2 years ago with only partial improvement, hyaluronic acid shots this year with temporary improvement. Plan to see the Dr. Hetman recommended before making a decision....

Re: Total knee replacement - 11/30/20 03:01 AM

Rent one of these

How cold do those get, about like a traditional old style ice machine?

I felt like I used a lot less Ice then I used in my ice chest style one. Numb is numb so I’m not sure how cold.

Biggest then out side of temperature longevity was compression and automatic programming ability. Having it in a timer was awesome

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/05/20 12:36 AM

I guess it's still on for Monday morning. Hospital called this morning to say my Covid test was negative and confirmed 0515 arrival time. I was secretly hoping it would be postponed because of the rollback so I could still go hunting. I had everything planned out for hunting last month but my mother-in-laws passing put the kibosh to those plans. Gonna try to sneak in a hunt Sunday morning.
Posted By: Wayne J

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/05/20 05:27 PM

I have an ice machine. It works great but the ice pack setup the hospital sent home with me is easier to use.

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/07/20 03:59 PM

Prayin Jimbo is okay

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/09/20 10:10 PM

I'm here! Appreciate the concern. Had my surgery Monday. Started off not so good as they couldn't get the spinal block to work because of the arthritis surrounding my spine. Stuck me about 20 times before giving up. Only good thing about that is then I didn't require a catheter. Thank god! 2 hours later woke up in my room. About two hours after that they did physical therapy, I had zero pain and was able to do 2 laps around the hallway. Stayed overnight because I overly bled and I use a C-pap. otherwise I would have went home the same day. Next day (yesterday), I had 2 PT sessions and they released me. Still no pain whatsoever. But we had to borrow by brother-in-law's SUV because both our vehicles have lifts. Anyways, Just the climbing in and out caused me great pain which lasted all night even after taking Hydrocodone. I was more than a little discouraged until I had my first home PT session a little while ago. That gal knows her stuff and now I'm feeling much better after a light workout and some tips about sitting and such. Still hoping for a full recovery but it's a work in progress.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/09/20 10:13 PM

Great report.

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/19/20 12:55 AM

Had to stop my daily testosterone 12 days ago because of the surgery. Boy, I can tell the difference. Just beat down tired all day now. My eyelids are heavy as I type this.

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/19/20 01:45 PM

thanks for the update. my ortho put mine off till end of March, need to lose more weight......again

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/19/20 03:47 PM

thanks for the update. my ortho put mine off till end of March, need to lose more weight...…again

Wow, 3 months. I don't think my knee would have lasted that long. Do agree with the weight loss though as it will make recovery easier on you. The hardest part is getting up from a seated position.

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/23/20 01:40 AM

2 week post-op today. They took out 50-60 staples, took x-rays, and replaced the cover. Looked gruesome. 110 degree range of motion was good for now. Dr asked "where's your cane?" I said I don't need it then the wife pipes in "I'm his cane." Ha! Best thing is I can again shower and resume my testosterone treatment. Start PT next week. So far so good.

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/23/20 02:41 AM

Thanks for the update !! Glad you up and moving around.
I'm seriously considering a Lift Recliner

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/23/20 03:00 AM

My regular recliner has been ok but a lift one would have been great. Then again they want you working the knee. It's much easier getting up now after 2 weeks. If you have a chance, I would suggest starting thigh strengthening exercises ASAP. Another thing to consider is your "throne." I have a removable riser on mine but it's uncomfortable and bulky.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/23/20 03:02 AM

2 week post-op today. They took out 50-60 staples, took x-rays, and replaced the cover. Looked gruesome. 110 degree range of motion was good for now. Dr asked "where's your cane?" I said I don't need it then the wife pipes in "I'm his cane." Ha! Best thing is I can again shower and resume my testosterone treatment. Start PT next week. So far so good.

Glad your getting around well. What kind of testosterone are you on? Cream, injection or liquid? What dose?

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/23/20 03:33 AM

My regular recliner has been ok but a lift one would have been great. Then again they want you working the knee. It's much easier getting up now after 2 weeks. If you have a chance, I would suggest starting thigh strengthening exercises ASAP. Another thing to consider is your "throne." I have a removable riser on mine but it's uncomfortable and bulky.

Good thought, I do need a taller chitter

Doc told me to start using My inversion table and stationary bike too.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/23/20 11:52 AM

Glad you're recovering well. Hope the trend continues.

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/24/20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by jetdad

Glad your getting around well. What kind of testosterone are you on? Cream, injection or liquid? What dose?

100 mg gel one day, 50mg the next day.

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/24/20 01:39 AM

As a side benefit, the testosterone should help with your recovery.

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/27/20 01:48 PM

Good news

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/30/20 08:00 PM

Had my 1st in-office PT session today. Went well. Heat, bunch of different stretches', rode the bike, ice. 128 degree range of motion which is great. Start 3 per week next week.

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/30/20 09:22 PM

when could you be cleared to travel? Go on a hunt, long ride in a truck...

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/30/20 09:42 PM

when could you be cleared to travel? Go on a hunt, long ride in a truck...

I've been driving for almost a week now. Surgery on the left knee so only difficulty is getting in and out of my lifted truck. I'm driving 2 1/2 hours to the lease tomorrow. Sitting in my recliner or sitting in the truck/blind...is still sitting! Ha!
Posted By: Wayne J

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/31/20 12:05 AM

128 is outstanding.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Total knee replacement - 12/31/20 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne J
128 is outstanding.

cheers

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/16/21 08:00 PM

So I'm almost 6 weeks out from surgery and I had just sat down on the throne yesterday afternoon when blood started squirting out of my knee. My knee incision had been feeling a little "tight" all day and the knee was red and radiating heat that you could feel holding your hand 6in over it. I just got out of the shower and my wife was on the treadmill in the garage. I started screaming for her while trying to stem the gusher. Had to go all the way to the door to get her attention. Thought I was going to bleed out. Ended up rushing to the ER. The ER DR texted a pic to my surgeon they just cleaned the hole, piled on the bandages, wrapped my like a mummy and put me in an immobilizer until my Tues appt. ER DR said the blood was mixed with drainage causing an orange tint. I didn't notice that because I was scared. This sucks. Hoping he doesn't have to go back in. At the very least this puts a big crimp in my recovery time. I've been feeling a little depressed the last couple of weeks. Kinda regretting having the surgery. Now I'm pretty much stuck in the chair for the long weekend.
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/16/21 09:06 PM

Oh man. I am 3 weeks out now. Infection is worst case scenario. My wife used to do the orthopedic surgery, which is what our knees are, and she has said infection is worst. They go back in and clean it all out and start over. That’s my worst fear.

Did anything happen that might have caused this? My PT tells me I am weeks ahead and I am wanting to start doing more and more. Did you do anything that might have led to this? I am literally putting on my shoes to go out and see what I can do and I saw this. Now I am thinking not. But man. I am so tired of being hobbled.

Will say a prayer for you bud.

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/16/21 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper.270
Oh man. I am 3 weeks out now. Infection is worst case scenario. My wife used to do the orthopedic surgery, which is what our knees are, and she has said infection is worst. They go back in and clean it all out and start over. That’s my worst fear.

Did anything happen that might have caused this? My PT tells me I am weeks ahead and I am wanting to start doing more and more. Did you do anything that might have led to this? I am literally putting on my shoes to go out and see what I can do and I saw this. Now I am thinking not. But man. I am so tired of being hobbled.

Will say a prayer for you bud.

I hear you about being hobbled. I was sore as heck after Wedn PT. Can't pinpoint anything in particular except I did get my first Covid shot on Tuesday. Coincidence...IDK, knee was already hot before that. I'm thinking infection even though the ER DR didn't think so. Sure felt much better after releasing that fluid.

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/17/21 10:48 PM

sorry to hear this Jimbo. makes me fear it even more now. hope youre okay

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/17/21 11:00 PM

Mine got infected and it’s not fun, good luck buddy. I had to give myself iv’s 3 times a day for 13 weeks and the port runs into your heart, total nightmare..

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/17/21 11:34 PM

I Appreciate the concern. I feel pretty good today. We took the immobilizer off to check for bleeding. The bandages weren't soaked so it looks like the bleeding stopped. I was scared to completely open it up. Immobilizer is back on so I'm peg legging it around the house. Actually much less pain in my knee now that the pressure valve was released. My appt is Tuesday afternoon. Looks like I'll make it! Ha!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/18/21 04:50 AM

Keep up the improvement !
Posted By: Blank

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/18/21 06:19 AM

Infection is definitely the worst. I ended up with major staph infection after a surgery, and it was horrible. Knee swelled up as big as a basketball, they drained a liter of black blood and fluid out daily. Went back in and scraped and flushed, cauterized all the bleeders, trimmed back to living tissue again. I had an IV, and connections for a pump and anti-biotic bag daily, for 3 full weeks. UGH!!

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/18/21 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Blank
Infection is definitely the worst. I ended up with major staph infection after a surgery, and it was horrible. Knee swelled up as big as a basketball, they drained a liter of black blood and fluid out daily. Went back in and scraped and flushed, cauterized all the bleeders, trimmed back to living tissue again. I had an IV, and connections for a pump and anti-biotic bag daily, for 3 full weeks. UGH!!

I feel your pain, my moron docs let mine go until the staph infection turned into Osteomyelitis dang near killing me. I laid in the hospital with an open incision for 2 weeks and I went in the OR every other day for a slash and clean before getting the bag treatment.

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/18/21 02:14 PM

You all are scaring the crap out of me!

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/18/21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Blank

Man that’s terrible - I’m sorry

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/18/21 05:27 PM

You all are scaring the crap out of me!

Right! Ha.

I need to quit checking this thread. Lol
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/19/21 12:20 AM

Holy CRAP!! This thread makes my knees hurt, and sick to my stomach.

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/19/21 12:28 AM

3:30 tomorrow can't get here fast enough!

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/19/21 09:43 PM

yep

im

out

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/20/21 12:13 AM

Well there's good and not so good news. Seems the rupture allowed the release of built up fluid that was causing my knee to be hot and swollen. We pushed a little too hard with PT. They took x-rays and Dr cleaned up the wound, Still very slightly seeping but skin has started to cover over it. Wrapped it back up and have another week wearing the immobilizer. If it's healed by next week, we'll start back slowly with PT. Bad thing is these two weeks of immobilization will set back my anticipated full recovery. X-rays showed great bone adhesion around the new hardware and even showed they fixed a little bow-leggedness. All in all I'm ok with everything.

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/20/21 01:07 AM

Thanks for the update.

So it was all the result of over doing the PT? Caused excess fluid which caused the rupture? What all was the PT having you do that caused this situation?

Glad it was not an infection.

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/20/21 01:17 AM

Only thing different was the leg presses they had me doing the Mon & Wed before the rupture. DR wouldn't say exactly what caused it but said the excess fluid usually gets absorbed back in the body but too much sometimes needs to be drained. I probably should have had them look at it last Thu or Fri because I felt something was wrong. I'll listen to the little voice next time.

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/20/21 01:26 AM

Great news Jimbo, so glad they didnt have to go back in and do it all over. Hang Tough

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/26/21 01:10 AM

So my knee has been leaking fluid again since Thursday. That hole just wont heal on its own. I've also been feeling really cold even with the house temp at 74. No fever but that's one sign of infection. My wife reminded me of my mother getting MRSA From her knee surgery. Called the DR office this morning and they finally called back at 1pm. Said I could come in at 3 and see the PA. I declined and demanded to see the surgeon. I'll now see him tomorrow at 3:30. Jimmy's not happy!

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/26/21 01:49 AM

Hope you get that back on the track to healing
Posted By: freerange

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/26/21 01:50 AM

Hate to hear all that. Hang in there.

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/26/21 01:51 AM

Oh man. Hate to hear that. Since I have been following this my thoughts have been you have an infection. Sure hope it’s not MRSA. My nurse wife says that stuff is bad news. Will keep praying for you sir.

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/26/21 08:56 PM

Just got back from the DR. Expressed my concern about infection (MRSA). He thought the PA stitched me up last week. He didn't seem happy when I said he didn't.

He gave me two options: 1. Stitch it up, take antibiotics, check it every week, and if no more leakage continue with rehab.

2, Have immediate surgery, remove/replace all the non-bone hardware, thoroughly clean out the cavity, IV antibiotics for a few weeks. Basically starting from scratch.

He was very passionate about there not being a current infection (MRSA). I went with #1 - Got 4 stiches,, cleaned it up good and started 10 days of antibiotics just to be safe. The stiches stopped the draining, ..at least for now. Says I'll know if it's infected by the amount of pain increasing and excessive swelling. Time will tell.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/26/21 10:01 PM

good grief

hang in there

Re: Total knee replacement - 01/26/21 10:05 PM

Man that’s tough. Hope that does it.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/03/21 12:47 AM

Had my DR appt today. Wound is still leaking but the hole is smaller . PA removed 2 stitches and replaced with 4 and wrapped it up good. I go back Thursday morning. If no leak, we move on. If still leaking I will have surgery Friday morning to basically redo the original replacement but they'll open it up even more to clean out good and send samples for infection testing.
I might be watching the Super Bowl from a hospital bed.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/03/21 12:52 AM

Sorry to hear that sir. I say a prayer for you daily. That’s just a tough break.
I know that has to be frustrating and annoying. Stay positive and you will get there.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/03/21 06:06 AM

They should have already sent out for the tests or at the very least a fresh blood test to check for signs of infection in your body. I’m sorry to say your going down the exact path I did and I was some kinda screwed up for a long time... I hope I’m Wrong but damn does this sound like an extract version of my nightmare starting. Here is my everlasting effect that can’t be fixed, ,, seriously if you come back infected shoot me a pm and I can give you some things to watch out for. FYI if they test it and it comes back infected they will likely remove the implant and leave you laying in the hospital bed for a week with an open incision and no knee and go into surgery every couple days for a clean out. This is what I had to do anyway,, Prayers up for you but be strong either way and hopefully it’s not infected but this far out and it’s oozing I’m afraid your in for bad news. It was the dumb a PA they blamed mine on as well for not bringing it to their attention earlier, That’s all docs cop out these days. I don’t trust any doctor any more after my nightmares. [Linked Image]

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/03/21 07:45 PM

Thanks everyone. Only positive I see is the "leak" is joint fluid and not puss. The darn hole is right on top of the knee cap in an almost impossible place to not move with any leg motion. I'm going to fight like hell to not be cut open again.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/04/21 01:06 AM

They should have already sent out for the tests or at the very least a fresh blood test to check for signs of infection in your body. I’m sorry to say your going down the exact path I did and I was some kinda screwed up for a long time... I hope I’m Wrong but damn does this sound like an extract version of my nightmare starting. Here is my everlasting effect that can’t be fixed, ,, seriously if you come back infected shoot me a pm and I can give you some things to watch out for. FYI if they test it and it comes back infected they will likely remove the implant and leave you laying in the hospital bed for a week with an open incision and no knee and go into surgery every couple days for a clean out. This is what I had to do anyway,, Prayers up for you but be strong either way and hopefully it’s not infected but this far out and it’s oozing I’m afraid your in for bad news. It was the dumb a PA they blamed mine on as well for not bringing it to their attention earlier, That’s all docs cop out these days. I don’t trust any doctor any more after my nightmares. [Linked Image]

Your leg/foot is going to stay that way? How far out from the last surgery?

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/04/21 03:03 AM

hang in there

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/04/21 06:14 AM

Sniper270 about 6 months and yes sir, If im up and active for a good while she turns into a grape lol and spits out blood clots pretty often as well. I’ve had 18 PI’s already so I figure I’ll kill over one of these days but oh well. The infection ravaged my entire lower leg, chits nothing to play around with I can guarantee you that much...

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/04/21 07:16 PM

Good news. My "leak" has stopped. Looks like the new stitch job did the trick. PA cleaned it up, put pressure on it, and had me walk around a bit to be sure. I go back next week to put a smaller wrap on it and a week after that to remove the stitches. Told me to start back with home exercises. Haven't slept well in the last two weeks, maybe I'll sleep tonight. Thanks for the well wishes.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/04/21 10:22 PM

Sniper270 about 6 months and yes sir, If im up and active for a good while she turns into a grape lol and spits out blood clots pretty often as well. I’ve had 18 PI’s already so I figure I’ll kill over one of these days but oh well. The infection ravaged my entire lower leg, chits nothing to play around with I can guarantee you that much...

That is very unfortunate. Just bad all around.

Good news. My "leak" has stopped. Looks like the new stitch job did the trick. PA cleaned it up, put pressure on it, and had me walk around a bit to be sure. I go back next week to put a smaller wrap on it and a week after that to remove the stitches. Told me to start back with home exercises. Haven't slept well in the last two weeks, maybe I'll sleep tonight. Thanks for the well wishes.

That is great. Hopefully on the road to complete wellness.

That’s great news, I’m super proud for you up

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/12/21 05:51 PM

What’s the latest Jimbo1? Hope no news is good news.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/12/21 10:47 PM

What’s the latest Jimbo1? Hope no news is good news.

Knee started leaking again. Checked the wrap on Monday and the gauze was wet. I was pizzed. Put clean wrap on it, Checked it again Wedn and showed less leaking but still some. Went to DR yesterday afternoon expecting the worse but when the RN removed the wrap there was just a speck of fluid. She sent a pic to the surgeon and he had her put another silver infused cover and rewrapped. I go back Thursday and if good they will remove the stitches and I can proceed with rehab. This is the absolute last chance to avoid surgery. This has been a struggle to say the least.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/12/21 11:03 PM

Sir, I hate to hear that. Tell you what God bless for dealing with this as well as you seem. It’s got to be absolutely mind blowing. I would be fit to be tied. I was whining to my PT yesterday about I was ready to be back to normal and ready to be past this. She reminded me that I am weeks ahead of schedule. Thank the Lord. Well I will keep praying that your journey with this is ending and not just getting started again. Stay strong.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/12/21 11:39 PM

Sir, I hate to hear that. Tell you what God bless for dealing with this as well as you seem. It’s got to be absolutely mind blowing. I would be fit to be tied. I was whining to my PT yesterday about I was ready to be back to normal and ready to be past this. She reminded me that I am weeks ahead of schedule. Thank the Lord. Well I will keep praying that your journey with this is ending and not just getting started again. Stay strong.

Thanks for the prayers. I'm doing better physically than mentally. Glad to hear yours is going well. I just hope my experience doesn't discourage Buzz!

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/13/21 05:32 PM

om still planning on it.

hope you get good news Thursday
Posted By: Ed Jr.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/13/21 09:44 PM

I had both knees done over 2 years. One at a time!! That was done within the last five years.I'm 74 now. I can't help but stress enough the importance of PT. I pushed myself each time and ended my PT therapy sooner than expected . No more pain.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/22/21 07:38 PM

Have you had the next appointment yet?

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/23/21 12:12 AM

Have you had the next appointment yet?

They had to reschedule for tomorrow because of busted pipes. Knee opened up again during the blackout while I was hustling firewood. Oozing blood instead of joint fluid now. Looks like I'm heading back under the knife. Sucks that I've wasted 5 weeks on this.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/23/21 03:06 AM

Man I so wish that were not the case. Was praying you would be back in the fast track.
We will get there!

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/23/21 10:43 PM

Just returned from Dr appt. Worse case scenario. I'll be checking in the Hospital Thur night for a Fri surgery. May be there awhile as he's going to open me up even wider than before, remove the parts, clean out and test for infection. Repeat the clean out so many times, then wait there until all is good and replace parts and send me home for 2 months of IV antibiotics. If I would have any idea this would have happened I'd have just lived with the bad knee.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/23/21 11:48 PM

That is just the worst outcome I can think of .Hopes and Prayers are heading your way from here .

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/24/21 08:26 PM

Hang in there Jimbo!!!

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/24/21 08:45 PM

Yep. That is the one thing you do not want to happen. Very sorry to hear that.
But, now you know the plan. Now you can set your mind and get it done and over. Do what ya can and believe this is the beginning of the end of issues and you will be good as new shortly. This is one of those things where you just have to embrace the suck and fight through. You will and can do this. Will continue to pray for you sir.
Keep us posted as you are able.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/24/21 10:20 PM

Thanks y'all. Trying to keep my spirits up. Actually, wife and I made a lease run today to fill feeders and check on the trailer, etc. Already had the feed in the truck. Had planned on going Sat anyways. Wife did most of the lifting. She also wanted to stop at the cemetery in Ft Worth and see my mom. Knee soaked through on the way back. UGH. I'll work at home tomorrow and check in to the ER around 8pm. Fun times ahead. At least I already know what to expect during the recovery as I already did a lot of it (minus the IV regimen).
Posted By: freerange

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/24/21 11:56 PM

Dang, hang in there man. Try to have a good attitude, it will help. There is always something worse out there.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/25/21 02:05 PM

Praying for you Jim.

This making me re-think my replacement

But what are the alterative to a "shot" knee. no other choice other than limp around for the rest of my days

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/25/21 11:31 PM

Still pulling for you Jim

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/25/21 11:44 PM

Praying for you Jim.

But what are the alterative to a "shot" knee. no other choice other than limp around for the rest of my days

Hey Buzz, my surgeon said this was a rare outcome.
Thanks for the good thoughts everyone, I'll get through this...eventually.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/26/21 01:15 AM

Hang in there Jimbo, what a terrible piece of luck. Here is a hope and prayer that the next surgery will be a breeze. Has to be cause you have already had the bad times. Hang in there!

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/26/21 01:38 AM

Praying for you Jim.

Hey Buzz, my surgeon said this was a rare outcome.
Thanks for the good thoughts everyone, I'll get through this...eventually.

The docs always say it’s rare but I beg to differ, I’ve been saying it for a little while unfortunately. I hope you have a great outcome but your in for hell. PM me for the long term or any questions. My MRSA turned into Osteomyelitis and that’s a lifelong issue.

Re: Total knee replacement - 02/26/21 02:00 AM

Praying for you brother. Stay strong.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/01/21 04:35 PM

Hey fellas. Still in the hospital, probably out tomorrow. Got my pic line put in this morning. So there was definitely a staphylococcus infection. Not MRSA, thank God. They replaced all the hardware and cleaned it out good. Packed it in antibiotic beads. I’ll be in an immobilizer for 3 weeks to give extra protection for wound healing. I.V antibiotics for 8 weeks and then oral antibiotics for life. Going to be a PITA for a couple months but it is what it is. I’ve come to grips with it.
Hope everyone is going good, thanks again for the good thoughts.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/01/21 04:51 PM

I feel your pain buddy, hang in their it does get better. I still have box’s full of sealed up pic line components if you happen to need anything. I started spitting blood clots from the pic line and I ended up with 18 blood clots in my lungs so definitely ask about blood thinners if you have any family history of blood clots. I didn’t know to and it almost cost me my life. If you have any clots in your family’s history let them know ASAP. It’s not a big deal but simply something to know,

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/01/21 05:33 PM

DAMM

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/01/21 06:18 PM

Still in my thoughts and prayers.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/02/21 12:31 AM

Great news. Okay. Day one. Just move forward and I bet it goes well this time.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/03/21 06:46 PM

Got home from the hospital late Monday afternoon. Had my appt yesterday at the infusion office where they showed me everything I need to know about my IV. I just finished my first "in-home" infusion. Piece of cake. Also had the home health (PT) come out this morning. Just have to ride it out now. I might start back at work Friday (at home). Just sitting here is pretty boring. Now I need to start working on getting my pool and equipment inspected from the storm.

Well wishes for everyone.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/05/21 05:09 AM

Hope it is all smooth sailing from here on. Sorry you had issues and pray they are all in the past.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/16/21 10:55 PM

Been on the Vancomycin for two weeks now. Blood tests last week were perfect. This last week I started having chills and sweats and slight fever. Was getting my weekly batch today and told them what was going on so they notified the DR and is putting me on a different antibiotic tomorrow. Said to stop my Atorvastatin also as it can cause problems while taking this stuff. Just keeps getting better for me! Hoping to get my brace off next Tuesday...maybe then I'll just go drive into a bridge pillar and be done with it!

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/16/21 11:04 PM

Hang on man. You're having a terrible time of it for sure .But it'll get better .

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/17/21 01:52 AM

What’s the saying, if it weren’t for bad luck,

That’s has to be tough and am sorry to hear that.

Stay strong, this too shall pass.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/17/21 02:42 AM

Hang in there Jimbo !!!

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/17/21 10:24 PM

Thanks fellas. Got my new meds today. Good thing is they only require about 30 min whereas the other stuff took almost 2hrs. No side effects...so far. Winning!!! Ha!

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/17/21 11:18 PM

up All downhill from here bud.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/18/21 12:50 AM

Each day that passes it gets better, honest !

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/18/21 02:03 AM

clap

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/19/21 12:20 AM

Second day of the new meds, hope they are helping in a big way! Hang in there.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/19/21 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Second day of the new meds, hope they are helping in a big way! Hang in there.

Man, it's like night and day. Feel like a new man. No side effects whatsoever. Just hope it's killing what it's supposed to!

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/19/21 01:20 AM

Good to hear. You've had a tough time of it to say the least.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/21/21 03:09 PM

how's it going Jimbo?

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/22/21 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by soooo

how's it going Jimbo?

So far so good. Waiting on Tuesday afternoon to unwrap the knee and hopefully proceed from there. I need some good news.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/22/21 01:43 AM

how's it going Jimbo?

So far so good. Waiting on Tuesday afternoon to unwrap the knee and hopefully proceed from there. I need some good news.

Man I so feel for ya. That’s gotta just suck big time. I give you credit for holding it together. Your surgery was three weeks before mine. There is really nothing I can’t do with mine now. I cut and split wood all week and had some big logs. Had to brace with my knees and push with them to split the big ones. Wore me flat out. I was whining about them being sore. Every time I check this thread it makes me feel thankful and just can’t imagine going through that. Hats off to you for your endurance in battling this. Still praying for you.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/23/21 11:17 PM

Went to the infection DR this morning. Good news so far. Back in 3 weeks. Knee DR this afternoon. They removed the stitches and took x-rays. Boy, he really sewed me up tight this time. Must have been 50 stitches. Knee looks a little gruesome but no leaking. Will wear a watertight bandage for next two weeks. Will start back with PT. Knee is stiff as all get out. Cant even get a 90 degree bend right now. DR said I should have a full recovery with time. Wife pissed me off by convincing him to not let me drive for another month. We'll be divorced if I have to be her passenger for another month! Other than that, I'm pretty happy how the day turned out. Plus....I get to take real showers again!!!

Appreciate all the well wishes and prayers.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/24/21 12:19 AM

cheers

Good news !

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/24/21 01:39 AM

up

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/24/21 02:13 AM

Glad you had some good news! You deserve it, will be a short month and you will be driving like a teenager. Great.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/24/21 11:57 AM

Jimbo, what do you think caused you to have to go through this horrible experience?????

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/24/21 10:48 PM

Jimbo, what do you think caused you to have to go through this horrible experience?????

Not sure. Payback for some earlier life choices? Karma? Probably just bad luck.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/25/21 03:29 AM

I went today fo another round of injections. I am getting really bad. He wont operate till i get to 255, i was 282 at his office. I dont know what to do. Find another doctor.

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/25/21 11:36 PM

I went today fo another round of injections. I am getting really bad. He wont operate till i get to 255, i was 282 at his office. I dont know what to do. Find another doctor.

I was around 305. DR barely mentioned my weight. If it is really bad I'd probably look for another surgeon. Have you thought about the gell injection? I know it's just a stopgap but maybe get you through the weight loss time if you're sticking with your DR.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/26/21 03:13 PM

Insurance required me to get cortisone injections and then rooster comb injections to see if they worked before surgery. They did not work and now I have had both knees done (at different times). Just do the physical therapy and you will be fine. You WILL NOT be like you were as a pup, but you will be better than before the surgery. Weight becomes a catch 22 problem. You hurt so you cannot exercise. I was 279 when I had mine done, and now I am 250. Check into another doctor. They can re-replace what they do today in a few years, so why does it matter to the doctor?

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/30/21 12:17 AM

How are you Jimbo? Still improving I hope ?

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/30/21 12:49 AM

How are you Jimbo? Still improving I hope ?

Driving again so life is less stressful. New antibiotics are making life a bit easier too. No side effects. The knee itself is still sore, especially upon just getting up. Bending a little easier though. No swelling or redness so I think I'm on the right track.
I do need to call and set up PT again... I'm ready to get back to the lease. Those hogs aren't going to kill themselves!

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/30/21 10:45 AM

up

Re: Total knee replacement - 03/31/21 02:20 AM

So glad to hear you are improving. Crazy, my knees hurt when I stand up. Last a couple seconds then all seems to work.

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/07/21 11:16 PM

Knee DR yesterday - removed the aquacell covering. Incision completely healed, looks great. X-rays perfect. No sign of infection, little swelling. Knee has been killing me at night for a week so he put me on Gabapentin. Don't know it it was the new meds or just removing the covering but I only woke up once (to pee) last night. Start back with PT on Friday. Infection DR says I may get my pick line removed Tuesday. Oh happy days!

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/08/21 12:01 AM

up
Great news !

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/08/21 01:51 AM

Great news.

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/08/21 01:37 PM

Gabapentin doesn't seem to work that good for me. I take it for nerve pain extending from my spinal stenosis.

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/08/21 07:16 PM

Gabapentin doesn't seem to work that good for me. I take it for nerve pain extending from my spinal stenosis.

My doctor has me try it ever few years for my nerve damage. Never helped me at all. I mean none.

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/08/21 11:53 PM

My doctor has me try it ever few years for my nerve damage. Never helped me at all. I mean none.

Only other time I've ever had it was in the hospital. I'm not convinced it's helping the pain but I know I'm sleeping better. He only gave me two weeks worth. I have no intentions of long-term use.

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/13/21 07:13 PM

Started back with PT last Friday. They flat wore me out. Have 15 sessions approved. Pick line was removed today. A lot less trouble coming out than going in! Still no lifting or shooting for the next 10 days...UGH. Wife is watching me like a hawk. Will be on oral antibiotics for a full year. Regularly scheduled blood tests. At that point they'll decide if I'm done.

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/13/21 08:08 PM

You've improved a lot from where you once were. Just keep on with the program and it oughtta work out.

Antibiotics for a year is a new one on me. Same med or will it be a rotation of meds?

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/13/21 08:38 PM

Thanks. Same meds right now.

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/13/21 10:18 PM

Started back with PT last Friday. They flat wore me out. Have 15 sessions approved. Pick line was removed today. A lot less trouble coming out than going in! Still no lifting or shooting for the next 10 days...UGH. Wife is watching me like a hawk. Will be on oral antibiotics for a full year. Regularly scheduled blood tests. At that point they'll decide if I'm done.

Yes indeed. Pray the improvement continues.

The same antibiotics for a year seems to me like, an odd thing. But I am no doctor so I am sure they know what they are doing. Just glad you are improving and healing.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/14/21 03:05 PM

Infections that set in after an orthopedic procedure tend to be hard to treat. A year seems excessive but after some of the stories I've heard understandable.

Re: Total knee replacement - 04/15/21 10:41 PM

I was wrong...new medicine is Cephalexin.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum