Texas Hunting Forum

Smith/weight training machines

Posted By: Chickenman

Smith/weight training machines - 05/22/17 02:19 AM

Anyone recommend a good smith/weight training machine? Prices are $500-$5000+. Obviously, the lower end machines look like crap.

Because I am really wanting to do rope pull downs and sitting butterfly, would it be safe to purchase a low end Marcy? I figure two years of service would be okay.

1 - $700 from Academy - http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marcy-sm-4008-smith-machine#repChildCatid=696542

2 - $250 from Academy - http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marcy-mwm-9880-lb-stack-home-gym#repChildCatid=580456
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/22/17 02:56 AM

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on any <$3,500. Yes, insane, that's why I don't own one! It'd take 10 years of a gym membership to buy a decent cable set-up.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/22/17 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: LFD2037
Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on any <$3,500. Yes, insane, that's why I don't own one! It'd take 10 years of a gym membership to buy a decent cable set-up.
I agree. I would just get in a gym membership and use the crap out of theirs. But look at used machines. My pops and I use to run a family-owned gym here in town and we bought all of our equipment used...just put new cushions and padding on them, and some new paint finishings.

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/23/17 01:29 AM

I looked at these in person again today. Pretty shotty equipment. Craigslist has had some deals from time to time. I'll keep lookin.

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/23/17 01:43 AM

Amazing. I found this one for $75 on CL. Its about 10 miles away. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

I've been looking for things to break and things to piss me off on CL for months. FOUND ONE. HA!

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/24/17 12:18 AM

Cancel that. Craigslist guy sold it knowing I was picking it up tonight. Weird. Bummer.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/25/17 05:57 PM

CL always has some listings for equipment. If you want to limit the 'footprint' of a piece of equipment look at SKLZ They usually run good deals and their equipment is commercial quality.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/26/17 04:21 PM

Smith Machines and Cable Machines have their place but are the last pieces of equipment you should buy. If you have the room you only need a few pieces equipment to do almost everything you need.

Power/Squat Rack
Adjustable Bench
Bar and weights
Dumbbells

http://www.titan.fitness/cages-and-racks/titan-t-3-series-hd-power-rack-36-deep-combo-w-bench.html

Add some bands and a box and the possibilities are almost endless. You can even add a pulley to the pull up bar and make a pull down machine.

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/26/17 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: huck18
Smith Machines and Cable Machines have their place but are the last pieces of equipment you should buy. If you have the room you only need a few pieces equipment to do almost everything you need.

Power/Squat Rack
Adjustable Bench
Bar and weights
Dumbbells

http://www.titan.fitness/cages-and-racks/titan-t-3-series-hd-power-rack-36-deep-combo-w-bench.html

Add some bands and a box and the possibilities are almost endless. You can even add a pulley to the pull up bar and make a pull down machine.

Agree with Huck here. Most 'Smith' machines and cable type equipment limit your range of motion (ROM). They work well in a controlled rehabilitation type setting where isolation may be needed but for everyday utilization and improved health/wellness you can decrease the dust catchers and laundry hangers by going minimal. Many tend to forget about body weight and gravity work as forms of resistance too. If you cannot move your own body weight against gravity or your own weight there is no reason to externally load. Simply asking for an injury....

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/26/17 09:04 PM

How do yall suggest I incorporate lateral tricep rope pull downs without a machine?

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/26/17 09:39 PM

Skull crushers, 2 armed behind the head upright presses, bent over kick backs, narrow grip flat bench, narrow handed push-ups. There's 5 great tricep exercises w/out a cable machine!

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/26/17 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Chickenman
How do yall suggest I incorporate lateral tricep rope pull downs without a machine?
Tricep extension with tubing

Chest press with tubing - closed chain tricep work

OR build your own

DIY pulley system for home use

It really depends on your goal and I failed to ask. What are you wanting to accomplish? Do you have any elbow/shoulder issues? You get more efficient work done if you incorporate multi joint movements as opposed to isolating a joint/muscle group. This is also safer and referred to as closed chain work vs open chain work. Squats are an example of closed chain. Leg extensions are an example of open chain work.

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/28/17 09:25 PM

Made one. $26 I think. Welded the weight rack. Functional. Pretty cool.

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/29/17 01:21 AM

You have a basement? Lucky dog.

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/29/17 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: LFD2037
You have a basement? Lucky dog.

Better. Detached 2 floor 40x40ish shop complete with a recliner, TV, tools, pretty much whatever I can fit in there smile

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 05/29/17 01:47 AM

That's awesome! I like your improvisation on the cable set as well.
Posted By: Dub32

Re: Smith/weight training machines - 06/06/17 03:28 PM

Check out Powertec multi station gyms. They have faults, like most all multi gyms have. Mostly dealing with fixed range of motion using bench press. Add plates and dumbbells and you have a very capable setup. You can find these used pretty cheap at times. I've been pleased with mine.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum