Texas Hunting Forum

Healthy Meal Thread

Posted By: HMK

Healthy Meal Thread - 04/20/16 04:46 AM

The wife and I are trying to eat healthier. I figured I'd start a thread and we could all share ideas and recipes.

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/20/16 05:04 AM

The wife cooked a roast in the crock pot a few days ago. She had added a couple large onions and let it cook all day. I told her to save all the broth with the onions. When I got home tonight, I started prepping our nightly vegetables. I really didn't have a plan, but a light bulb went off and here's the result. I took that highly concentrated both on to simmer and added some quinoa.

While that was simmering, I chopped up red and green bell peppers, sweet red onions, carrots, and mushrooms, I put everything except mushrooms in a skillet with some olive oil and saute'd until the carrot was crisp tender, then added the mushrooms and cooked a bit longer. I added about a cup of my left over broth. I chopped up some of the left over roast, I added it to skillet till every thing was heated through. I mixed a little arrowroot with water and added to skillet to thicken up and make a nice gravy.

To serve, I put the quinoa on the plate and ladled the meat, veggy, gravy mixture over it.

It was real tasty! I should have taken a picture. Will try to remember next time
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/21/16 01:53 AM

Ate salad for dinner!  Mostly croutons & tomatoes.  Really just one big, round crouton covered with tomato sauce.  And cheese.   FINE, it was a pizza.  I ate a pizza.

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/21/16 02:11 AM

Supper

I saute'd cauliflower, carrot, onion, bell pepper, Jalepeno, than added, chopped roast, then poured eggs over and cooked till done.

Ate this with 1/2 avocado
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/21/16 02:39 AM

Grilled pork chop, baked sweet potato and green beans. Easy on the butter and it's a low fat meal.
Posted By: SmithR

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/21/16 06:45 AM

Originally Posted By: PKnTX
Ate salad for dinner!  Mostly croutons & tomatoes.  Really just one big, round crouton covered with tomato sauce.  And cheese.   FINE, it was a pizza.  I ate a pizza.
cheers
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/21/16 08:42 PM

Couple of things we're doing that seem to be helping right now.. Eating a lot of fish & I don't mean fried catfish.. Mostly tilapia & salmon in the oven & then use it on top of a salad..

Eating a lot of veggies these days.. Sliced squash & zucchini baked in the oven w/ a little bit of olive oil.. Steamed broccoli, green beans, spinach, roasted corn on the cobb on the BGE, Brussel sprouts, etc.. You can get full on veggies & take in a lot less calories than w/ carbs.

Also been making chicken teriyaki kabobs w/ bell peppers (green, red & yellow.. all different flavors), purple onions, mushrooms, squash, zucchini & boneless/skinless chicken breast cubed & put on skewers..
Posted By: huck18

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/21/16 08:44 PM

Add more fat to your diet. Butter is fine, it is much better for you than margarine or low fat alternatives. Anything that says "low fat" on the label is garbage, don't eat it.

Replace carbs with fats and you will see your body fat melt off. Foods high in fat are nuts, coconut oil, coconuts, olive oil, butter, peanut butter, eat the fat/skin of meats, avocados, cheese, milk, whole eggs, full fat yogurt, fatty fish, flax seed and olives.

Most of the information regarding fats and saturated fats is way outdated and flat out wrong for the most part. Fat is good for you, it helps promote testosterone production and metabolism.
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/21/16 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: huck18
Add more fat to your diet. Butter is fine, it is much better for you than margarine or low fat alternatives. Anything that says "low fat" on the label is garbage, don't eat it.

Replace carbs with fats and you will see your body fat melt off. Foods high in fat are nuts, coconut oil, coconuts, olive oil, butter, peanut butter, eat the fat/skin of meats, avocados, cheese, milk, whole eggs, full fat yogurt, fatty fish, flax seed and olives.

Most of the information regarding fats and saturated fats is way outdated and flat out wrong for the most part. Fat is good for you, it helps promote testosterone production and metabolism.

Keep a jar of sunflower seeds w/ me as a little afternoon snack.. We're also going through a ton of avocados on salads, as a side to the kabobs, as a side to grilled pork chops, on grilled chicken wraps, etc..

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/22/16 12:28 AM

Jamba Juice for supper

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/25/16 07:45 PM

I made a vegetable soup for my lunches this week.

I started with 2 tablespoons olive oil, Added 1 large onion chopped, and 4 cloves chopped garlic, added 1/2 pound extra lean Hamburger meat and cooked till browned. Then added the following.

2 cups diced carrots
4 cups Chopped Bok Choy
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups chopped savory cabbage
2 cups Swiss chard
2 cups kale
1 cup cup corn
12 chopped Roma tomatoes
2 cups fresh picked green beans chopped
1 large can crushed tomatoes
2 Jalepenoes
2 bay leaves
1 large container beef broth

let simmer 30 minutes
Posted By: Cast

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/25/16 07:54 PM

Lost me at Kale.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/25/16 08:03 PM

Seared deer steak with sautéed squash and onions.

Pan seared fish with some form of vegi.

Biggest thing I have always found is portion control. I will eat until there is no food left, helps to only cook what we need to eat up
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/25/16 11:05 PM

A fast easy one is a can of chicken drained and a can of hot rotel. I usually add a little brown rice.

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/26/16 02:30 AM

Energy Bowl inspired by the one I ate at Jamba Juice

Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/26/16 03:46 PM

We make spaghetti with spaghetti squash instead of the noodles. I was pretty leery of it at first, but it's actually pretty good.

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/27/16 03:40 AM

I made another pot of veggy soup tonight. I adddd a little wild rice to change it up a bit
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/27/16 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: HMK
I made a vegetable soup for my lunches this week.

I started with 2 tablespoons olive oil, Added 1 large onion chopped, and 4 cloves chopped garlic, added 1/2 pound extra lean Hamburger meat and cooked till browned. Then added the following.

2 cups diced carrots
4 cups Chopped Bok Choy
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups chopped savory cabbage
2 cups Swiss chard
2 cups kale
1 cup cup corn
12 chopped Roma tomatoes
2 cups fresh picked green beans chopped
1 large can crushed tomatoes
2 Jalepenoes
2 bay leaves
1 large container beef broth

let simmer 30 minutes

Sounds great.... but i dont think you can call it vegetable soup if you put beef in it.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/27/16 10:51 PM

rofl

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/28/16 02:41 AM

Yeah, I guess not. It does have a small amount of beef. This pot of soup will last me all week for lunches. By the time you break 1/2 pound of meat into 5 lunches, I'm not consuming much beef at each meal. Certainly a lot less than my normal cheeseburger at one meal.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 04/28/16 02:43 AM

Fine lunch for sure. Ive been eating tuna with sarrachi sauce and crackers.
Posted By: kmkellar

Re: Healthy Meal Thread - 05/26/16 10:31 AM

Last night was a good one,

Grilled cod seasoned with paprika, spg.

Roasted asparagus and cherry tomatoes.

Drizzled a balsamic reduction over both.

No oil except on the grill grates had me a bit concerned but it was REALLY dang good!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum