Texas Hunting Forum

paracord knife handle

Posted By: mikei

paracord knife handle - 03/25/18 07:22 PM

I had this old knife sitting around and decided to play around with paracording. The biggest challenge was getting the old scales off the knife! To release the epoxy I had to soak the knife in VERY HOT water for about 30 minutes. Scraped off the residue and then wrapped it in 550 paracord. It came out fairly well. I touched it up with a bit of heat on the lanyard end of the wrap to make sure it wouldn't come off while being used on a hog or deer. It feels good in the hand, with the paracord giving a good purchase. We'll see. . .

Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: paracord knife handle - 03/25/18 11:53 PM

I like it , very nice job.
Posted By: Cast

Re: paracord knife handle - 03/26/18 04:34 PM

Did you apply beeswax to the cord?

Re: paracord knife handle - 03/27/18 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Did you apply beeswax to the cord?

No, no beeswax, but I did apply a coat of PlastiDip on it before I wrapped it to minimize slippage. Is that what the beeswax is used for? I've not heard of using it before. I'm also considering dipping the "finished product" in some more PlastiDip and seeing how that works out.

Re: paracord knife handle - 03/27/18 01:53 PM

I went ahead and did the "dip" for the knife handle. It doesn't look much different, but it feels a bit better and is now rather tacky to the bare hand, as opposed to the rather slick feeling of the paracord. I'll see how it holds up after drying for several hours and then using it a few times.

Posted By: A-Bolt71

Re: paracord knife handle - 05/02/18 05:26 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum