Texas Hunting Forum

Cutco knifes

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 04:22 PM

Been thinking about get a few , what are yalls thought about them? Where would be the best place to get the best deal for them. Pros and cons?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 04:29 PM

They sell some on amazon, you may try there.

What kind of knives are you looking for? Kitchen, boning, etc?
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 04:42 PM

I have both 8" and 10" Shun chef knives and I think they are excellent and extremely sharp.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 04:46 PM

I have a "hunting" cutco knife and wasn't that impressed with the durability of it. I switched back to my Buck knife pretty quick. I will say that it is easy to sharpen and will get very sharp! Didn't hold an edge that well and didn't do well cutting through tough areas of the animals.

Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 04:56 PM

I have their filet knife and have been pleased with it. The extendable blade is a pretty cool feature.

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 04:56 PM

I was interested in a few kitchen knifes for veggies and meats mostly. There shears seem to be pretty good aswell.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 05:10 PM

I use one of these for just about everything in the kitchen, then wrap it in cardboard and take it to the ranch when I go hunting. It was a gift from one of my buddies for standing in his wedding and it was a good gift. Steel it every now and again and be careful not to cut yourself.

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 06:58 PM

I like the cheap ceramic kitchen knives, there is a Cutco store in Frisco, I'll have to stick my head in and look at them
Posted By: TonyWornick

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I use one of these for just about everything in the kitchen, then wrap it in cardboard and take it to the ranch when I go hunting. It was a gift from one of my buddies for standing in his wedding and it was a good gift. Steel it every now and again and be careful not to cut yourself.

This is the brand I have switched to for cooking needs. Great knives for the price.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
I have their filet knife and have been pleased with it. The extendable blade is a pretty cool feature.

I have two of these and really like them. I have been looking at a few for the kitchen here lately.
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/08/17 08:43 PM

I've got this one with the orange handle and serrated edge I'd sell for $75 shipped. Brand new, never used.

https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=drop-point-knife#sm.000rgsmm21318cnnqbk1peuqurwqu

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/09/17 09:31 PM

So I'm still on the fence, anyone own a few and have a review on them.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/09/17 09:50 PM

My wife bought a set of those over priced knives and cuts her self every time she uses them. Shop around
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/09/17 09:57 PM

I have a kitchen set - over 15 years now. Steak knives are great. Long blade serrated for slicing still work fine. Butcher OK - I just need to sharpen it. Bread knife great. Paring knife - so-so. They did replace a steak knife for free when the handle melted a bit after contact with a hot skillet. Shears are incredible - we have two. I use Henckles for trimming my game meat though. Cutco for everyday kitchen use works fine for us.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/09/17 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyWornick
Originally Posted By: redchevy

This is the brand I have switched to for cooking needs. Great knives for the price.
Ditto
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/09/17 10:44 PM

Just go to Ace Mart Restaurant Supply. There's a few around Houston. Get you some of the Dexter-Russel knives for the kitchen. Lots of butchers and chefs use them. Much better price than Cutco.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/09/17 11:23 PM

chicago cutlery high carbon steel with wood handles were the best knives I had for dressing out elk/deer.

fast and easy to sharpen and hold an edge pretty good. best thing is they are priced right.
I carried an 8" chef/8" carving/6" boner in a custom sheath with a 4" stone pocket.

sharpen them on about 30* and they will do the job well.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/11/17 10:51 AM

I have some Old Hickory kitchen knives. They are ancient and pretty badly tarnished and that's OK. They cut. Not so with the stainless steel knives.

I built my Grandson a high carbon steel skinning knife. He killed a deer and took it home to dress out and package. My daughter thought she would help him. She got out her expensive stainless steel knives and started trying to help. She called the next day and wanted me to make her some cutting knives instead of what I call high priced "looking at" knives. Grandson was slicing through meat and she was having to pull her knives through. I told her I would but in the meantime go to Amazon and buy a 5 knife set of Old Hickory knives for about $50. She did and called later to say that she didn't need for me to make any knives. She wound up buying about 10 high carbons. They need to be hand washed and dried to keep rust off but that's no big deal.
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/11/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction
So I'm still on the fence, anyone own a few and have a review on them.

Originally Posted By: jrfan
I've got this one with the orange handle and serrated edge I'd sell for $75 shipped. Brand new, never used.

https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=drop-point-knife#sm.000rgsmm21318cnnqbk1peuqurwqu

I love mine. I received this one as a gift for Christmas. I already had one identical and I had intentions of sending it back and never did. I don't figure I need two.
Posted By: TXAg08

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/15/17 08:39 PM

I love all my CutCo knives. I keep a pair of shears and the 4" in paring knife in my hunting pack. The 4" paring actually works great on game. I have cleaned many hogs and deer with it. And all the knives in the kitchen are great.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/16/17 02:49 AM

I'm in the Old Hickory camp. I still have an Old Hickory 8" slicing knife that was part of a five-piece set my wife and I got for a wedding gift 35 years ago. It is the best knife in my kitchen!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/16/17 05:01 AM

I don't own one but a buddy of mine has the serrated edge hunting knife from cutco. Its an older one from the 70-80's I think. The thing is INSANELY SHARP! Makes quick work of gutting and quartering.

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/17/17 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: TXAg08
I love all my CutCo knives. I keep a pair of shears and the 4" in paring knife in my hunting pack. The 4" paring actually works great on game. I have cleaned many hogs and deer with it. And all the knives in the kitchen are great.

Where would be the best place to pick up a set? Price wise.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/17/17 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: hopalong
high wood
were for dressing
I carried a 6" boner in a custom sheath with a 4" stone pocket.

eek2
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/18/17 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction
Been thinking about get a few , what are yalls thought about them? Where would be the best place to get the best deal for them. Pros and cons?

I have the serrated hunting knife and serrated boning knife. Both gifts from my wife. The hunting knife is the first knife I could skin and cut up a jumbo size alligator with a single knife and not stop to resharpen. But it does have a thin very sharp tip that would break if it caught in a bone joint and will easily punch through a hide or your finger if not careful. Out in the field hunting away from camp I carry one of two buck knives. At camp my buck knives are only for the tough work cutting the joints, bone, ect. Or anywhere near my fingers. The tips already broke off those years ago and reshaped and sharpened. The cutcos I use for everything else like skinning, final quartering, deboning. Fish cleaning I use two dollar retired used commercial fish cleaning knives.

Cutco is one of those things like Tupperware or Mary Kay. Sold by individuals through a pyramid sales scheme. Probably overpriced and better out there for the same money. I personally would not have bought a first one to try, but admit the serrated hunting knife is my #1 knife now and I have several other brand knives I no longer use.

My wife bought mine helping a distant young relative of hers who learning the ins and outs of salesmanship had to pay for their own demonstration knives.

With the easy repair and sharpening programs I would have no need to buy another other than maybe the non serrated versions of what I have. To be honest. If not received as a gift, I would only buy mine used off eBay before I would pay the high retail on these.
Posted By: outnumbered

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/18/17 12:51 AM

I've had the same cutco serrated edge knife on my fishing boat for 5 years using to cut carp for bait and lots of other stuff. Used it on 2 caribou and 1 moose in Alaska prior to that. Pretty good bang for the buck IMHO.
Posted By: ScooterG

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/18/17 07:40 PM

I had their serrated hunting knife. After sending it back twice for sharpening, I put it on a grinder and then my chefs choice. Great knife now.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/18/17 09:38 PM

I had a Cutco chef's knife for a while. Really overpriced for the performance, IMO. I found the handle too thin (and I have small hands) and the steel nothing special. I replaced it with a higher end Henckles that cost around the same and it has been a huge improvement.
Posted By: presley

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/19/17 02:08 AM

Had a set of 4 steak, 1 pareing, 1 spatula, a 8 and a 6 inch serrated knives since 1991. Have a pair of shears also. They replaced the shears once since they cant be sharpened. All the others have been sharpened at no cost twice. Good value with lifetime guarantee.
Posted By: Single Shot

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/19/17 03:04 PM

That's the problem with Cutco you cannot walk into a store or up to a table at a hunting show and buy a knife.
Posted By: rex47

Re: Cutco knifes - 08/29/17 11:48 AM

Cutco is always set up at Canton first monday, they will run you down to get you to watch demo.
Posted By: James US

Re: Cutco knifes - 11/03/17 06:04 AM

You can find a good knife with nice price in Amazon. But, be careful! Bcz there are many Chinese knivies in there
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum