Texas Hunting Forum

No more bad, bad knives in TX.

Posted By: White Falcon

No more bad, bad knives in TX. - 05/26/17 03:36 PM

About time!!!
https://lonestargr.com/legislative-updates/huge-2nd-amendment-victory-no-illegal-knives/
Posted By: Cast

Re: No more bad, bad knives in TX. - 05/26/17 03:53 PM

Good. I'd hate to go down for my KaBar fighting knives.
Posted By: LFD2037

No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/26/17 05:30 PM

Just need Abbott to sign & she's done!
https://kniferights.org/legislative-upda...l-bill-hearing/
Posted By: dkershen

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/26/17 06:28 PM

So is a machete legal since it's a "tool" and not a knife? And what if you carry it while wearing an evil clown suit? nidea
Posted By: txshotgun

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/26/17 06:30 PM

Wooooooooeeeeeeeee I've been dying to take my spear with me on business trips!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/26/17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
So is a machete legal since it's a "tool" and not a knife? And what if you carry it while wearing an evil clown suit? nidea

I am in, I will order a clown suit and a machete, then I am going to terrorize the kids in the neighborhood.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/26/17 06:43 PM

I guess I can't take my old K-Bar into movies, fine restaurants, and shopping malls. I can live with that.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/26/17 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: txshotgun
Wooooooooeeeeeeeee I've been dying to take my spear with me on business trips!

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

wink
Posted By: Navasot

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/26/17 07:40 PM

lol guess i never knew that was illegal iv been in all kinds of public places with my skinning knifes, sticking knifes, and even machetes hanging off my back, side and boots while running to town to work..
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/26/17 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
a knife is a tool if it's not then it's just art and useless
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/26/17 11:39 PM

Excellent. I can't wait to finally wear my complete samurai outfit to Walmart. I get funny looks when I wear it without the sword.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/27/17 02:04 AM

The 30.08 "no concealed or open carry knives" signs will be out soon
Posted By: BigPig

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/27/17 02:25 AM

Well that sucks. Do you know how many people I have arrested for an illegal knife... NONE. I did arrest a kid for a sword, he was using the sword for doing robberies
Posted By: MikeC

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/27/17 06:19 PM

up
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/27/17 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Well that sucks. Do you know how many people I have arrested for an illegal knife... NONE. I did arrest a kid for a sword, he was using the sword for doing robberies

Buddy got arrested for one. Now charges got dropped but he was arrested for it. that was late 90's.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/27/17 09:32 PM

Life is good when the adults are in charge...... cheers
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/27/17 09:35 PM

Not so much when the inmates run the asylum....Thank God Hillary lost!
Posted By: MrWood

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/27/17 09:53 PM

So does this mean I can carry my switchblade? Dad gave it to me when he came back from Germany on a business trip.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/27/17 11:15 PM

I used to want a Cold Steel push dagger; seemed like something I would likely never use but would be handy if I needed it. Then found out they were not legal to carry. Benchmade makes one also. I may get my daughter one when she moves back.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 05/29/17 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Buddy got arrested for one. Now charges got dropped but he was arrested for it. that was late 90's.

Were these two desperate criminals robbing donut shops?
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 06/08/17 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Life is good when the adults are in charge...... cheers

cheers up up
Posted By: chopsknives

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 06/08/17 12:27 PM

yes you've been able to carry swithcblades in Texas for about a year now!

I was talking to a 35 yr veteran LEO at a gun show and he said he never rolled up on a fancy knife sticking out of someone - it's always a kitchen knife and even in the heat of the moment they were able to grab the one missing half a handle!! LOL!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 06/08/17 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Were these two desperate criminals robbing donut shops?

no we where headed back home from processing a load of recently made steers.....
Posted By: Grizz

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 06/11/17 06:19 AM

Originally Posted By: MrWood
So does this mean I can carry my switchblade? Dad gave it to me when he came back from Germany on a business trip.

Switchblades have been legal since 2015.
Posted By: pug

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 06/26/17 02:59 AM

June 16, 2017 (link)

As we were in Washington, D.C. yesterday lobbying on our Knife Owners’ Protection Act including repeal of the Federal Switchblade Act we received the welcome news that Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed into law Knife Rights’ bipartisan Texas Knife Law Reform Bill, HB 1935, that repeals all “illegal knives” in Texas statute.

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 06/26/17 03:09 AM

I heard a rumor that the 5.5" carry limit remained in the final bill. Does anyone have definite information on this?
Posted By: pug

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 06/27/17 01:15 AM

Sponsored by Rep. John Frullo with co-sponsor Rep. Harold Dutton, HB 1935 would complete Knife Rights’ efforts to bring knife freedom to Texas by removing entirely the definition of “illegal knife” in Section 46.01(6) of the Penal Code. This includes the prohibition on double edge blades, Bowie knives, and the 5.5-inch carry limit.

The new law does not go into effect until September 1, 2017. Until then, existing restrictions on “illegal knives” remain in pace.

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 06/27/17 01:59 AM

According to this, the 5.5" restriction remains intact:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/pdf/HB01935E.pdf

Look at section 3 in 46.01(6). Double edges, aka "daggers" are ok, but the length limit appears to remain.

Re: No More Illegal Knives In Texas - 06/27/17 02:02 AM

Ok, here's the clarification:

Knife Rights Director of Legislative Affairs, Todd Rathner, has been in Austin again for another full week working to get this bill passed. HB 1935, as amended, eliminates daggers, dirks, stilettos, poniards, swords, spears and most notably, Bowie knives, completely from Texas statute, effectively allowing them to be carried anywhere in the state.

However, in order to get the bill moved after the tragic University of Texas stabbing, the amendment stipulated that knives with blades over 5 1/2 inches are now defined as “location restricted” knives. These knives may be carried all over the state except in a narrow list of places such as schools, colleges, correctional facilities, houses of worship, and bars that derive more than 51% of their income from alcohol sales. This is an unfortunate amendment, but the alternative would have been to watch the bill die and throw years of work in Texas down the drain.

This bill’s passage would still be a huge win for knife owners in Texas and given the tragic circumstances, Todd’s done an incredible job not just saving the legislation, but ending up with 95% of what we wanted. If we get this bill passed, we will be back in two years and again try to finish the job in Texas.

From here:
https://kniferights.org/legislative-upda...l-bill-hearing/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum