Texas Hunting Forum

Looking to start making knives

Posted By: arlnitro14

Looking to start making knives - 05/05/17 04:24 PM

Anyone have any tips on where to get all of the equipment needed? Looking to make fixed blade knives. 100% beginner.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Looking to start making knives - 05/05/17 06:40 PM

I'd suggest that to start with you should get some blades that are pre made and just put scales on them. That way you can get an idea if it's something you want to pursue further. You and get your fit and finish down using that method without spending tons of money on shop equipment.
One of the small bench top belt sanders and a small drill press along with various grits of sandpaper ranging from 120 grit to 600 grit and some epoxy will get you started.
There are a lot of videos on youtube that are helpful.
You can get all of your supplies from Jantz supply.
https://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/1058.htm
To set up a shop with 2X72 belt grinders, big drill presses, band saws,heat treat ovens and so forth will cost thousands of dollars. To many have jumped into making knives, buying all of the bells and whistles equipment only to decide that it isn't something that they are serious about or want to do.
Keep lots of band-aids around too.
It's not a matter of if you'll get cut. It's just a matter of how often and how bad.
Good luck,
Mike
Posted By: Andrew Griggs

Re: Looking to start making knives - 05/08/17 03:51 AM

Don't know where you live but I would suggest finding a maker near you and seeing if they will teach you the basics and give you the opportunity to get your feet wet. Feel free to message me with any questions you have.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Looking to start making knives - 05/08/17 10:26 AM

The first step should be some good hearing protection. It's optional. You can always, like me, spend $5K for hearing aids. Blue painters tape and BandAids also comes to mind. But, agree with MikeC on YouTube.

Re: Looking to start making knives - 05/10/17 03:11 PM

Remember when I said that it's just a matter of how often and how bad?
Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Looking to start making knives - 05/10/17 06:10 PM

Damn Mike

Re: Looking to start making knives - 05/10/17 06:50 PM

confused2
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Looking to start making knives - 05/22/17 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
To many have jumped into making knives, buying all of the bells and whistles equipment only to decide that it isn't something that they are serious about or want to do.

Does this mean he might be able to get used/preowned equipment cheaper than new? I thought that about reloading but I was wrong. I offered to buy used left over from upgrades to get started, it didn't happen.

Re: Looking to start making knives - 05/22/17 07:33 PM

It happens but not very often. For whatever reason those who decide that it's not something they want to do on an ongoing basis seem to just keep the equipment that they have bought. You'll find used equipment when some upgrades something but again, not often.
Posted By: HuntCrafted

Re: Looking to start making knives - 05/22/17 08:35 PM

I'd love to learn how to use a 2x72 grinder for beveling if there's anyone in the Austin area. Heck anywhere within a few hours of Austin! I've watched a ton of YouTube videos and its tough to tell where to being or what might work for what I want to do production wise.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum