Texas Hunting Forum

Sharpening a Microtech OTF

Posted By: Damaged85

Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/10/17 03:56 AM

I have 2 microtech OTF. One is a s/e UTX-85 and the other a d/e troodon. Both need sharpening, and I have heard sharpening elmax steel is pretty difficult. Does anyone know of any shops in the north dfw area that sharpens knives well? Or is there a trick that won't take me all day to sharpen myself?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/10/17 12:49 PM

Buy a Worksharp. It will sharpen any steel in a couple minutes.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/10/17 02:12 PM

Very soon I will be buying a Wicked Edge sharpening system. A good friend has one, and I've used his. It produces scary sharp edges. I've no need to sharpen serrated, but it wouldn't surprise me if they have addressed those type blades.

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/10/17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Buy a Worksharp. It will sharpen any steel in a couple minutes.

My buddy has one. Doesn't work well on these type of knives.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/10/17 04:46 PM

Have your buddy visit their website. They have instructional videos that will show how to sharpen these knives. up
Posted By: spg

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/15/17 02:26 AM

Ive been having the wicked edge for 2 years, there's a learning curve but once you master it, there's nothing that can beat it. Started out with the basic kit within one month I had every stone they offer. Get the extension arms and the part that lift the vise for sure. Remember to go 2 degrees less when stropping.

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/16/17 10:04 PM

My buddy just had his microtech knives sharpened at a knife store and the dude couldn't get them sharp. He fixed the edge and the point on another but like I said, couldn't even sharpen the knife! Is elmax that much of a pain to sharpen?

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/18/17 09:35 PM

Is it the double edged blade? I sharpened one before, PIA but still can get to hair whittling on both sides.

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/19/17 06:49 PM

His was a S/E. I have a S/E and a D/E I need to sharpen

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/19/17 10:32 PM

Where are you located?

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/19/17 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Damaged85
His was a S/E. I have a S/E and a D/E I need to sharpen

Let me know if you want me to give it a shot, I can PM you my address if your to far away. The S/E is no problem, the D/E takes some time, I've done 3 D/E's and the issue is the shape of the shaft doesn't have enough flat surface to clamp for a secure hold. I had to use shims to get a solid hold so I could work the edge. Should be able to finish them and mail them back on day I receive them.

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/20/17 02:36 AM

I live in McKinney. And the d/e one side is serrated so I bet that's a PIA

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/20/17 03:25 AM

I'm not set up for serrated.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Sharpening a Microtech OTF - 04/20/17 01:46 PM

I sharpen serrated with my Ken Onion. It works well on them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum