Texas Hunting Forum

Knife recommendations?

Posted By: 7x57

Knife recommendations? - 10/07/16 03:05 AM

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to knives, don't know a whole lot about them other than the basic styles. I've been looking for a knife that I can carry on my person every day without looking like Rambo (maybe a 3-4"?), preferably one that is fixed blade so that I don't have to worry about junk getting into it when I skin stuff, etc. Would be making a sheath for it that would lay it down along the belt line if possible, if not then whatever works.

I generally use knives to skin, cut ropes, strings on hay bales, etc. nothing too heavy duty aside from the skinning and even then I don't do it on a daily basis. I know there's quite a few artisans on here that know much more about it that might be able to recommend me something nice, whether or not it's theirs'.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/07/16 10:33 AM

You should talk to mike Conner. I am on my second knife From him. Great artist. Great prices. Great guy. Mine is the Stainless skinner on page 4 if your logged in.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/07/16 01:15 PM

I'd be glad to make one for you.

Posted By: Jason Fry

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/07/16 01:16 PM

Most of us knifemakers make a knife like you describe. Myself, Chops, Mike, Andrew Griggs come to mind off the top of my head as folks who are active in this forum.

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/07/16 02:41 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check things out. I'm tired of using my poor little case pocket knife, lol.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/07/16 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
I'd be glad to make one for you.

What do you get on that style of knife with a vertical sheath? I might be interested in one.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/07/16 09:42 PM

PM sent.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/08/16 06:11 AM

Carrying a fixed blade everyday always makes you look like rambo.

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/08/16 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Carrying a fixed blade everyday always makes you look like rambo.

That's why I wanted to try and get it to work with a sideways sheath.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/11/16 01:59 AM

Here are the two MikeC made for me. I carry the smaller one every day. I use it a lot for general stuff. I haven't skinned anything with it. I'm sure I could in a pinch but I bought the bigger one for that job.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/11/16 11:16 AM

I would suggest a Buck Stockman.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/11/16 12:48 PM

here is a small knife made for me by randallss7 a knife maker on our forum and lives in Oklahoma, great quality work. you can never go wrong with Mike C./Andrew Griggs/Chops/Mr. Fisk- I have knives from all of them.

The knife above was made to match my Ruger 45

Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/15/16 02:34 PM

I really like the Buck 113 Ranger Skinner Knife

http://www.buckknives.com/product/113-ranger-skinner-knife/0113BRS-B/

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/15/16 08:52 PM

If pancho starts making knives again try him. Admire Randall and Mike C but don't have experience with their knives. I've bought knives from 7 or 8 makers on here and panchos are the sharpest and hold great edges.
Posted By: maleroads

Re: Knife recommendations? - 10/25/16 01:49 AM

nice
Posted By: Andrew Griggs

Re: Knife recommendations? - 11/02/16 01:32 AM

If I can be of assistance just shoot me a message and I will do my best to make your purchase as smooth as possible.
Posted By: dreeves

Re: Knife recommendations? - 12/14/16 02:34 PM

Just my personal opinion but I don't like skinning with a large fixed blade knife. I feel that the wide blade hinders me. I skin everything from squirrels and rabbits to hogs and deer with a Case Trapper. I do like some of the large fixed blades as far as looks go but just feel like they get in the way. Also, the Case Trapper is one of the easiest knives to keep razor sharp!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum