Texas Hunting Forum

Knife laws

Posted By: slayer12

Knife laws - 08/14/16 03:11 AM

I have been looking online and it seems about clear as muddy water.
Can you legally carry or own a a Auto OTF knife some say as long as it's a single edge others say no.
Any help on this would be great.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Knife laws - 08/14/16 12:28 PM

I believe as long as it is not a double edge, yes.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Knife laws - 08/15/16 03:15 AM

I'm Texas. Not all states are created equal. Can not be double edge.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Knife laws - 08/15/16 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010

I believe you are at least partially incorrect. Not worth arguing the issue, but I believe it is legal to own one and have possession of one. Carrying one on the street is a different matter.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Knife laws - 08/15/16 09:21 PM

Quote:
as of September 1, 2013, switchblades are no longer illegal in the state of Texas.

Quote:
Restrictions on Carry
It is illegal to conceal or open carry any knife with a blade over 5 ˝ inches long
It is illegal to conceal or open carry throwing stars or any type of throwing knife
It is illegal to conceal or open carry dirks, daggers, stilettos, and other stabbing knives
It is illegal to conceal or open carry a bowie knife
It is illegal to conceal or open carry a sword or spear
Carry restrictions do not apply to a person’s own vehicle or a vehicle that is under their control, as long as the weapon is being carried for a lawful purpose.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Knife laws - 08/15/16 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Originally Posted By: wburke2010

I believe you are at least partially incorrect. Not worth arguing the issue, but I believe it is legal to own one and have possession of one. Carrying one on the street is a different matter.

Correct. You can own it and collect them, but not carry it.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Knife laws - 08/28/16 01:06 PM

Switchblades are legal to possess and carry as long as they are not double edge or more than 5 1/2" blade length. Double edge knives are legal to possess but not legal to carry. Knives with blades over 5 1/2" long and double edge blades are considered illegal knives by Penal Code definition so they can't be carried unless you are on your own property or property under your control. As of Sept. 1, 2013 switchblades became regular knives under the law subject to the previously mentioned restrictions. Prior to that you couldn't even possess one in your house.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Knife laws - 09/15/16 10:41 PM

Illegal knife definition per TX Penal Code 46.01:

(6)“Illegal knife” means a:

(A)knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;

(B)hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;

(C)dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;

(D)bowie knife;

(E)sword; or

(F)spear.

All are legal to own. Per PC 46.02, it is an offense for a person to carry on or about his person an illegal knife unless on premises or directly en route to your vehicle.
Posted By: glazer1972

Re: Knife laws - 09/24/16 05:36 PM

As long as they don't come under one of the other prohibitions.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum