Texas Hunting Forum

Frost Cutlery Two Blade Bullet Trapper

Posted By: AledoGYoung

Frost Cutlery Two Blade Bullet Trapper - 08/01/16 09:17 PM

The old knife is a good friend of mine. He is 86 and a Marine that fought in Korea where he received a Purple Heart. He asked me to see if I could get the knife fixed for him. He has had several knives, but this is one of his favorites that he has had for a long time. I was wondering if there is somebody near the Fort Worth area that could replace the missing side and the bullet. Frost Cutlery has not made the knife in several years, so I could not get any help from them. The picture of the new knife is what the bullet should look like. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks!

Posted By: nsmike

Re: Frost Cutlery Two Blade Bullet Trapper - 08/02/16 02:36 PM

I'm not a knife maker but fixing it won't be cheap. You would need to hand fit both scales so that they match and some how get a replacement bullet If Frost won't supply one then it'll have to come off another knife. If it's of enough sentimental value that spending a good amount of money restoring it isn't an issue then it's doable. I suspect most makers with the skill would not even look at it unless you told them upfront that cost isn't an issue.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Frost Cutlery Two Blade Bullet Trapper - 08/11/16 05:19 PM

The knife is not a collectable so fixing it probably isn't worth while.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Frost Cutlery Two Blade Bullet Trapper - 08/11/16 05:26 PM

I have replaced sides on a Case knife I found in the woods. The process was fairly easy and straight forward. I ground the pins flush with the liner, then epoxied in some antler I cut to fit the bolsters. I then used a belt sander to make it all flush again, and polished it up nice. Gave it to my dad as a christmas present. Probably need to buy a donor knife to get the bullet.

Fixing the pins and all would be expensive, I would think, and most knife guys wouldn't get excited about working on a Frost Cutlery.

Re: Frost Cutlery Two Blade Bullet Trapper - 08/12/16 03:03 AM

Here is what I would do. Buy one off ebay to get the shield. Then glue it in with Devcon. Then get a piece of Bodark or Mesquite and whittle one to fit the other side. Go to Ace hardware and buy a couple drill bits to fit the pins. Force the wood over the pins and glue it down with the Devcon. If you have access to a table saw and a drill press it shouldn't be that difficult.

Re: Frost Cutlery Two Blade Bullet Trapper - 08/12/16 03:12 AM

I use Devcon Steel 5-minute putty because it is stable to 200degrees.
Posted By: AledoGYoung

Re: Frost Cutlery Two Blade Bullet Trapper - 08/16/16 02:07 AM

Thanks for all of the input! I am going to see if he would want me to try to fix it, even though it would be my first time. Thanks again!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum