Texas Hunting Forum

New/ old Filet knives.

Posted By: HornSlayer

New/ old Filet knives. - 06/24/16 04:28 PM

In my attempt to find a filet knife made of better steel, I got these two Gerber's of Ebay for $40.00. Box included. I put an edge on the smaller of the two and so far I'm pretty impressed. The edge wasn't easy but it wasn't impossible either. Only time will tell if they can handle the abuse I dish out. Speaking of the aluminum handles, don't think I'm going to be a big fan. Anyway, they are vintage 1947.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 06/25/16 02:37 AM

Neat set....be interesting to see how they hold up...
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 06/26/16 12:14 PM

They look like they would be awfully slick when they get wet and slimy!

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 06/26/16 02:30 PM

Yeah that's what I'm thinking also. I need some ideas as to how to put a non-slip material on them. I have some non-slip boat deck coating that I'm thinking of using but need to research a primer that will stick to aluminum.
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 06/28/16 05:27 PM

Nice
Posted By: Cast

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 06/28/16 06:43 PM

Heavy wall glue lined heat shrink on the handles.
Posted By: rickym

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 06/28/16 09:08 PM

I like em! If you have to cover them I would think some type of rubber dip
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 06/29/16 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
Yeah that's what I'm thinking also. I need some ideas as to how to put a non-slip material on them. I have some non-slip boat deck coating that I'm thinking of using but need to research a primer that will stick to aluminum.

Isn't there some type of rubberized material that you could dip the handles into?

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 06/29/16 04:29 PM

See if bed liner will stick to it.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 06/29/16 09:02 PM

There's Grip Dip for tools, Google it, some other options will come up also.
Posted By: BillS2008

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 07/01/16 05:10 PM

I have an old original Rapala that can't be beat. I only use it now to trim ribs out of te]he fillets, but I sharnen it once a year. I have some newer Rapalas that don't hold an edge as well.

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 07/01/16 07:06 PM

I also scored a couple of old fillet knives on eBay. They arrived today, very dull and rough. I ran them up to House of Blades and they fixed me right up with three new super sharp knives. Just touched the palm of my hand and sliced it a little.

Chicago Cutlery set up top with double sheath, Case XX below.

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 07/02/16 06:57 PM

I'm going to try the tool dip or shrink wrap. I'll post pics afterward.

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 07/05/16 06:17 PM

I used black tool dip. Any ideas as to how to prevent the bubbles?

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 07/05/16 08:09 PM

Spiral wrap it with paracord or something and dip it again. That'll ridge it up.

Check this link to fix bubbles.

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 11/03/16 02:06 PM

Got a chance to use the knives last week in Port A. Didn't catch as many fish as usual but never the less I was pleased with these two Gerbers. Very solid steel that held up really well on Reds and trout. The thought that I paid so little for the pair is mind blowing.

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 04/11/17 01:22 PM

Used them again this past week and hammered the sheepshead, reds and trout. These 73 year old blades did a wonderful job. If anyone here has cleaned a red or a sheepshead you know how tuff they are on knives. I only use these knives to debone the fish and use a flat bladed Carl Schlieper to filet with. I was able to clean 10 big sheepshead and a red or two with out having to resharpen. These blades are a steal on eBay if you can find them!
Posted By: chopsknives

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 04/12/17 02:29 PM

With epoxies bubbles are a prob below 65 degrees - warmer equals less
Posted By: MO

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 04/13/17 05:33 PM

I use a wood handle rapala that is over 40 years old. A few strokes on an apollo stone crock stick ( also 40 years old) brings it back to shaving sharp after each mess of fish.
I have half a dozen other fillet kinives that I have bought or received as gifts , but none work like the old rapala

Mo
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 04/13/17 07:51 PM

Y'all caused me to go to Ebay and look at fillet knives. Ended up ordering a Schrade old timer (older USA built) fillet knife with sheath and placed a bid on another.

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 04/13/17 08:10 PM

I bought myself a few old fillet knives a while back. They're definitely sharp after a trip through the Ken Onion.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 04/14/17 03:32 PM

Looks like I'm going to get the second one too. I'll work em over with my Lansky Sharpener and they will be good to go. Still gotta decide what file of my dads I'm sending to Mike C. I can't wait to see that bad boy.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: New/ old Filet knives. - 04/14/17 06:44 PM

any makers name?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum