Texas Hunting Forum

Stropping

Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Stropping - 04/26/16 08:05 PM

I never really learned how to use a stone properly so to sharpen my knives I would use stuff like the AccuSharp. Yes, I know, very amateur of me, but hey, I am learning. I upgraded a while back to a Work Sharp and have been very happy with it. Last year I finally got a nicer knife, a Benchmade and realized what a sharp knife should be like. So I want to keep that razor edge. I have done a lot of research on stropping and saw that you can use a variety of things --- leather, cardboard, windshield glass, etc. I might get one of those manufactured strop paddles. Any advice on best stropping method?

But I was thinking I might upgrade my Work Sharp to the Ken Onion model and saw that they have a leather belt you can use for stropping. Anyone have experience with that? Thanks!!

Re: Stropping - 04/27/16 07:30 PM

Anyone out there use a strop to get that little extra edge, especially with the Work Sharp leather belt?
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Stropping - 04/27/16 07:48 PM

I do, I'm not too fancy, a leather paddle and white rouge. I'm careful to hold the knife at the same angle as the sharpener as I pull it back towards me. I get my knives sharp enough to easily shave the hair on my arms.
Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Stropping - 04/27/16 11:44 PM

I'm not a fan of the work sharp, but I know many are. I use a Lanskey then strop on a paddle. If I start loosing the edge, I can put it back on the strop several times before I needed to touch it back up on the Lanskey. Just glue a strip of leather to one of the paint stir sticks from the hardware store and treat it with white or green compound

Re: Stropping - 04/27/16 11:54 PM

Dodger - Sounds like a cheap alternative. What's the name for the green compound?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Stropping - 04/28/16 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Ag Hunter 78
Anyone out there use a strop to get that little extra edge, especially with the Work Sharp leather belt?

Yes. I sharpen with warthog or work sharp then strop with leather. I wouldn't upgrade just for the strop. You can get a strop for $8-$14. All the strop does is take the burr off the edge.

I use white and green zinc oxide soap.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Stropping - 04/28/16 12:19 AM

http://www.stropman.com/Stropping-compounds-Compound-Choice.htm
Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Stropping - 04/28/16 01:45 AM

There you go Ag. Bobo posted a link. Most any decent hardware store should have it also or you can get them at a Tandy leather store.
If you need a strip of leather, I probably have a scrap piece around here somewhere.

Re: Stropping - 04/28/16 12:52 PM

Thanks for the offer Dodger. I probably can find some leather around here at a cheap price. I think I'll follow the frugal advice and glue some leather to a paint stir stick. I have even seen a video where one guy uses strips of old blue jeans glued to a paddle and adds the compound to the jean fabric.

Oh, and my Work Sharp is on the blink....sounding really loud like it's about to peter out. So I'll probably get another soon but the newer Ken Onion model.
Posted By: billybob

Re: Stropping - 04/28/16 08:11 PM

By the time you get thru to the final ken onion belt a leather strop won't be nessesary

Re: Stropping - 04/28/16 09:01 PM

That's good to know. I'll hold off on a strop until after I get the KO version and see how well it does.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Stropping - 04/29/16 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: billybob
By the time you get thru to the final ken onion belt a leather strop won't be nessesary

This, have an old barber strop that I use when it has to be sharp. Have also used a note pad, paper works.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Stropping - 04/29/16 12:02 PM

Palm of your hand. Usually have it with you.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Stropping - 04/30/16 11:06 AM

About every couple of months I go through the knife drawer. Then use a steel and strop as needed. The strop is which ever piece of leather I have handy.

If I pick up something that is dull, I use a stone, steel and then strop.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Stropping - 05/07/16 08:35 PM

I sharpen freehand on DMT diamond plates, then strop on an old wide leather belt, with a yellow rouge. Same gear I use for my hand plane irons, which need to be extremely sharp.

Honestly, it just seems wrong to use a fancy power tool to sharpen a knife. My grandfather would be ashamed of me.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Stropping - 05/10/16 12:59 PM

I use a strop board with cowhide leather on both sides. One side is white rouge the other is red jewelers rouge. There is no way I would ever spend a bunch of money just to sharpen my knife. A Lansky set of diamond stones backed up by their soft and hard Arkansas stones will put a beautiful edge on your blade. No electricity required with is important out in the field.

Now if I were making blades I wouldn't hesitate buying a good sharpener. That's different.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum