Texas Hunting Forum

My first knife

Posted By: Mike Honcho

My first knife - 02/02/16 11:26 PM

So i did some reading and decided that the tool steel saw blade would hold up good. Well, i have a new found appreciation for all the fine knives and pros that are out there. Here are some pics, keep in mind i have ABSOLUTELY ZERO IDEA WHAT IM DOING. So it aint pretty, but itll do the job.

Advice is very welcomed.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: My first knife - 02/03/16 03:49 AM

Be careful brother; it's very addicting. laugh
Posted By: Jerry Fisk

Re: My first knife - 02/03/16 03:56 AM

Just try to do better with each knife. Ask questions. You will enjoy it. Go to a knife show so you an coon finger the knives and when they do not have anyone at the table ask questions.
We have a good show in Arkansas later this month.
Your first knife looks a whole lot better than my first one did.

Re: My first knife - 02/03/16 03:59 AM

Just outta curiosity does anyone use or fab jigs to get good clean egdes?
Posted By: TAT

Re: My first knife - 02/03/16 04:24 AM

Good job bud
Posted By: randallss7

Re: My first knife - 02/03/16 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jorge
Just outta curiosity does anyone use or fab jigs to get good clean egdes?

I'm not the kind of knife maker who takes it personal or cares about the use of jigs or guides or anything really, to each there own right. But I always like to give this advice for the 2 cents its worth. Take the opportunity now in the beginning to learn to just free hand grind it will make things so much easier in the long run. It just takes a few knives to get it down and you will have clean lines and good bevels. Once you get it down you can do it faster and when you free hand you are not tied to any guides or jigs at that point. Profile grinding and bevel grinding is probably the fasted part of knife making for me, a lot more time is spent in the knife vise getting finished. For a first knife rock on, I made my first knives before the internet was even invented and you didn't have 1000s of resources at your finger tips...lol. Those knives you are talking about probably have a lot more elbow grease in them than time on the grinder.

Re: My first knife - 02/03/16 04:03 PM

Thanks randall ill definitely run with that advice.
Posted By: TAT

Re: My first knife - 02/03/16 04:45 PM

It's very addicting as hobbies go. I've only started one knife, well kinda two but I have done a ton of hand filing. It's alit of fun and time really passes quickly.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: My first knife - 02/04/16 02:39 PM

First thing I would say about your knife is you need more space between the end of the blade edge where it meets up with the handle. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum