Texas Hunting Forum

Cheap Chinese steel

Posted By: 603Country

Cheap Chinese steel - 12/20/15 04:57 PM

The wife is cutting up venison. She uses a couple of old filet knives, one of them being an old Rapala, which was made in Finland. That thing will hold an edge that is amazing. Great steel. Well, recently while in Cabelas, I saw a new Rapala with a rubber grip and a shorter blade. I thought that was just about the right size for cutting up venison and trimming fat and gristle and whatever. After some use, it got rather dull. No problem, I'll just touch up the edge. Well, touching up the edge wasn't that darn easy. Had to take the knife to the barn workshop and get out my serious sharpening gear. I still can't get the edge up to the level of the old Rapala with Finnish steel. Disappointing.

I think I'll see if I can find some old Rapala filet knives with the good steel. Do they still sell them? Prob not, but I'll look.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Cheap Chinese steel - 12/20/15 05:49 PM

I would skip the Rapala and go with Victorinox-Forschner, which are sold under the Forschner name, to butchers. Look at both the boning and fillet knives there should be a model that fits you needs.

Re: Cheap Chinese steel - 12/20/15 05:55 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Cheap Chinese steel - 12/21/15 12:10 AM

Yep, thats what I use and they are very good... 6"flex fer me!

Re: Cheap Chinese steel - 01/02/16 08:45 PM

And that's what I bought for the wife - the 6 inch Victorinox. She likes it. Thanks nsmike.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Cheap Chinese steel - 01/08/16 02:51 AM

Dexter Russell sani safe stiff boning knife ftw. If I were only allowed one knife for the rest of my life, that would be it.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Cheap Chinese steel - 01/08/16 06:37 PM

x2 for dexter
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum