Texas Hunting Forum

Deer antler knife

Posted By: Bobvilla

Deer antler knife - 12/13/15 08:38 PM

I have zero experience making knives but I have a lot of antlers laying around and thought it might be cool to make a few knives or bbq utensils. Since I don't have the experience I'm thinking of buying blades already shaped and made and will assemble the antler handle. Is this ill-advised? What about quality blades? Any suggestions? I've found a few places online but I'm unsure of their reputation. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: billybob

Re: Deer antler knife - 12/13/15 10:00 PM

I started out building my own blades...then transitioned into buying blades. I have only bought from Jantz Supply and Premium Knife supply...both use quality steel and require procedures for heat treatment and machining. Both have excellent shipping practices and do not charge sales tax. I found it very difficult to compete with their volume pricing. As a result I buy 4-5 blades for every one I build.
I don't think I would start out with antler handle material...it is much more difficult to to machine than wood. You have to be concerned with pith softness and machining holes for your pins or corby bolts. Good luck and watch out it can be addicting. Feel free to PM me.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Deer antler knife - 12/13/15 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: billybob
I started out building my own blades...then transitioned into buying blades. I have only bought from Jantz Supply and Premium Knife supply...both use quality steel and require procedures for heat treatment and machining. Both have excellent shipping practices and do not charge sales tax. I found it very difficult to compete with their volume pricing. As a result I buy 4-5 blades for every one I build.
I don't think I would start out with antler handle material...it is much more difficult to to machine than wood. You have to be concerned with pith softness and machining holes for your pins or corby bolts. Good luck and watch out it can be addicting. Feel free to PM me.

Hit the nail on the head right there. Good way to hone your skills on fit and finish when starting out.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Deer antler knife - 12/14/15 01:01 PM

I've bought so much "stuff" from Jantz that I qualified for a 10% discount on my last order. And, I have "stuff" on back order. But, there are cheaper places on some of it. I went and watched the cutting contest a couple of months ago but didn't buy anything. Shipping is cheaper than sales tax.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum