Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite deer skinning knife ?

Posted By: BigMarsh72

Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/06/15 12:13 AM

I love my Sharpfingers for skinning and cleaning deer. What other style knives are really good skinning knives ?
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/08/15 05:39 AM

I've got a Gerber with good upswept to the blade that I like to use alot. Their mystery steel is also easy to keep sharp.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/08/15 07:42 AM

I've used a Buck 103 skinner for 45 years. It has always worked well, but I don't use it for gutting.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/09/15 12:00 PM

I now use a Havalon, love it for skinning.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/09/15 01:42 PM

One of my own. Out of all of my designs, this is the handiest to me when it comes to skinning and quartering.

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/09/15 06:05 PM

Buck 110 folder currently. Hope to replace it with one of MikeC's design by next season.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/09/15 06:46 PM

I'm a fan of a blade shape like what MikeC showed. My particular knife isn't fancy, being an old KaBar. I use it for skinning and for gutting. The long blade is a big help with the gutting. For de boning the meat, I use an old Browning folder with about a 4 inch thin blade that really holds an edge. Been doing it like that for over 35 years. I've tried other type blade shapes from Puma, Gerber, Buck, etc, but though they were Ok, they weren't better.

Just to get fancy, I did ask a few guys about making me a KaBar with Damascus steel, but it would have been rather expensive. And other than being pretty, it wouldn't have skinned any better. Still...the thought keeps coming back to me.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/09/15 06:49 PM

Cant really remember how long iv had one of these..

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/09/15 06:54 PM

also have something similar to this

loaded with these
Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/09/15 09:06 PM

I've been using a RMEF knife from Browning that has been great but I have a couple of new ones from MikeC and one from Kev that will get used this coming week. I'll report back.
The pic that Mike posted, the handle looks odd to me, but it is one of the best feeling and best balanced knives I've ever felt but he wouldn't let me 'borrow' it.

Top one is from Kevin's bench, bottom two are from MikeC

Posted By: cerda12

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/09/15 09:07 PM

I love my Viscera. Works like a charm and stays sharp.

Real Avid Viscera
Posted By: DeadRooster

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/10/15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: MWTX270

+1
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/10/15 04:54 PM

I am a fan of the Outdoor edge swingblade, the blade is great for skinning and the unique gut blade works great. "opens game like a zipper".
Posted By: Fair Chase

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/22/15 03:00 PM

By far the best non-custom American-made knives I have used are Bark River Knives. For skinning & caping, a set of these is all you might need...
In our elk camp a few years ago, we used these to skin 5 elk and never needed to re-sharpen them!

Bark River Canadian Special and Mini Canadian
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/22/15 08:58 PM

You need a knife to skin deer?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/22/15 09:50 PM

I bought this one at Bed Bath and Beyond 5 or 6 years ago. I like it better than anything I've had before. I'm also a fan of the white handled knives at SAMs.
I also like the large hospital water cups for mixing a tall vodka and orange juice.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/22/15 10:56 PM

avalon or old school cheap filet knife
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/23/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: DeadRooster
Originally Posted By: MWTX270

+1

x2
Posted By: postoak

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/23/15 09:48 PM

This is the Buck 103 Skinner. I got mine in 1973. I notice they still make it and it is priced at $93 on the buck web site.

Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Favorite deer skinning knife ? - 12/24/15 12:59 AM

I have a lot skinning knives. The one I use the most often is an inexpensive 3" ceramic paring knife. You can get them almost anywhere for less than $10. They are lightweight, so I can carry more than one in my pack. They also NEVER need to be sharpened. If I break or lose one, it's no big deal. I just get another. If I lost one of my nice knives, it would make me sick.

This one is my favorite.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0051ENATS...&ref=plSrch
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum