Texas Hunting Forum

Havalon Baracuta

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Havalon Baracuta - 10/16/15 02:09 AM

Does anyone or has anyone used these to skin deer? If so can you please provide the pros and cons.

Thanks,

Mel
Posted By: hetman

Re: Havalon Baracuta - 10/16/15 02:33 AM

they are sharp / blade is thin / but interchangeable / did I mention they are sharp
Posted By: mikei

Re: Havalon Baracuta - 10/16/15 02:40 AM

I have used them and they are very good for skinning deer. You just need to consider them strictly as a tool; there isn't much "pride of ownership" associated with them. But, by golly, they "git 'er done!" I went back to my old Buck after snapping off a couple of blades during late night skinnings. . .
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Havalon Baracuta - 10/16/15 02:47 AM

Very handy knife and great for skinning and quartering. I still use my Buck knife for cleaning though.

As was said, they are sharp but a little flimsy and the blades will break if you over work them.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Havalon Baracuta - 10/16/15 03:06 PM

I've used them but not for skinning. We used to have a couple I used to castrate calves. The blade is a long scalpel blade. They're sharp as heck but like others said, a bit flimsy for heavy work. I don't have one anymore. Haven't seen the need to buy one since leaving my old job.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Havalon Baracuta - 10/16/15 03:49 PM

Barracuda for me is to long and flimsy for deer. To sharp for specks, but just right for reds and tuna and snapper.

I did use one this year on my elk when skinning it. I quartered and deboned with the piranta. With that said I think for now on I will only use a havalon for capping heads. It like the outdoor edge version better. Blade stability and durability is better and safer
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Havalon Baracuta - 10/22/15 04:03 PM

What BOBO said. Outdoor Edge for heavy duty work. Havalon for detail.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum