Texas Hunting Forum

Knives from a knife maker who left the business

Posted By: mikei

Knives from a knife maker who left the business - 09/10/15 11:35 PM

Over the years, I have bought several knives from a local, very talented knife maker. It appears that, although he built beautiful knives, he was not a very good business person, and he didn't handle his customer relations very well (per the BBB). He's gone out of business and sold all his knife making equipment. I'd like to hear from you professional knife makers: are his knives still of any value, or have the many problems associated with the manner in which he ran his business devalued these knives? They are still works of the knife maker's art, in my opinion, but have they become "tainted goods" in the knife collector's world?
Posted By: Jerry Fisk

Re: Knives from a knife maker who left the business - 09/10/15 11:45 PM

Depends upon who he is, how long he was in the business, the styles of his knives and materials used.
Yeah, I know that is a lot of stuff but it all affects it.
Most of the time when that happens for the average maker the price will be what a person would give for a plain user. Not always, but most of the time

Re: Knives from a knife maker who left the business - 09/11/15 12:47 AM

Thanks, Jerry. This guy was in the business for at least 10 years, maybe 15. He was in Arizona, then relocated to Texas. As near as I can tell, looking at his knives, he used top grade blade stock and the usual variety of materials for scales. Nothing real fancy on the scales.
Posted By: Jerry Fisk

Re: Knives from a knife maker who left the business - 09/11/15 04:15 AM

Mike, a big part of it is or was his second market. If he did not pay it much attention then the value is down.

Re: Knives from a knife maker who left the business - 09/11/15 11:57 AM

Thanks, Jerry!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum