Texas Hunting Forum

Knife sharpening.....Bladesmiths recomendations?

Posted By: deewayne2003

Knife sharpening.....Bladesmiths recomendations? - 08/25/15 08:56 PM

I used to sharpen all my own knives from meat cutting- pocket knives with a "Diamond Stick" that I bought at the Ft.Worth TTH Extravaganza 15+ years ago and lost it some time ago and have been unable to find the same "Diamond Stick" or other similar sharpening tool I like.

For you guys that make knives; what do you recommend for sharpening when a sharpening steel isn't enough....Please post pictures or links.
Posted By: Jerry Fisk

Re: Knife sharpening.....Bladesmiths recomendations? - 08/25/15 09:48 PM

I prefer a Norton Fine India stone. You can get them where I got mine, Uncle Al {Riverside Machine shop}, 870 642 7643
This is one of those that used to come in a three pod bathed in oil set up. People have used them for years.
That is just my opinion.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Knife sharpening.....Bladesmiths recomendations? - 08/26/15 02:55 AM

Thanks Jerry,

Do you use honing oil or anything else on it?
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Knife sharpening.....Bladesmiths recomendations? - 08/28/15 05:36 PM

I'm no blade smith, but those little mini-belt grinder machines they sell at cabelas work pretty well. I finish them up with a few light strokes on my ceramic sticks.

face-shaving sharp every time.. from my buck 119 to my case trapper
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Knife sharpening.....Bladesmiths recomendations? - 08/28/15 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Jerry Fisk
I prefer a Norton Fine India stone. You can get them where I got mine, Uncle Al {Riverside Machine shop}, 870 642 7643
This is one of those that used to come in a three pod bathed in oil set up. People have used them for years.
That is just my opinion.

I worked in a slaughter house as a teenager. Those guys had the scariest sharp blades I ever saw. And they all used one of those three pod stone sets. I've always wanted one of those. I bet you can't find those anymore, can you? Except maybe at a garage sale? Do you have a manufacturer's name on yours...for research purposes?
Thanks...DG
Posted By: Jerry Fisk

Re: Knife sharpening.....Bladesmiths recomendations? - 08/28/15 07:40 PM

Those tri hone set ups were made by Norton.

I use WD 40 to float off the tiny steel chips, that is all the oil does, it does not make the stones cut better just keep it clean. That's why there were bathed in oil, turn the hones cleans them.

The mini belt grinder works fine, I am just at places were there is no electric at times. If I need to touch up the edge when I am not around a stone, roll your truck window down and where the side window is "frosted" on top, pull you knife blade backwards. It is just a big diamond hone.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Knife sharpening.....Bladesmiths recomendations? - 08/28/15 07:50 PM

amazon.com is your friend

try diamond , ceramic sharpener in the search box

myself, I prefer WickedEdgeUSA.com products

mine is the 70 lb Pro System
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Knife sharpening.....Bladesmiths recomendations? - 08/29/15 01:17 PM

I found the Norton Tri Hone online. A little pricey, but definitely worth it in the long run. I don't figure you'd ever need another. Thanks Mr. Fisk...I've been looking for one for a while.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum