Texas Hunting Forum

Sometimes!

Posted By: MikeC

Sometimes! - 08/07/15 05:57 PM

Things just don't work out. I recently bought some Madagascar Ebony to use for scales. I thought that they would come out nice but boy was I wrong. After getting them shaped to my liking I sanded them down to 1000 grit and buffed them out. Didn't look like I wanted them too so I sanded them down again and gave them a coat of Tru-Oil.
After they dried I sanded back to 1000 and buffed again. Still not good mad
I sanded back to 1000 and buffed again. Still not right. eek
Sanded back to 1000 and gave them a light coat of wipe on gloss poly. After they dried I sanded back to 1000 and buffed again. Still not right. Resanded and tried a light coat of CA, sanded and buffed and they still look like crap. taz
I finally just drilled out the pins and lanyard tube and removed the scales. I haven't decided what I'm going to replace them with but you can bet it's not going to be Madagascar Ebony.

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Sometimes! - 08/07/15 07:09 PM

It looks good in the picture. up
Posted By: Cast

Re: Sometimes! - 08/07/15 07:30 PM

What the heck is wrong with the ebony? You are your worse critic.

Re: Sometimes! - 08/07/15 09:07 PM

The scales just didn't pop, the contrast of colors in the wood just wasn't what I expected. The scales are now resting comfortably in the trash can.

Re: Sometimes! - 08/07/15 10:13 PM

I'll take those scales. Been looking for something to inlay in old 10/22 stock missing sling studs. I'll even pay shipping plus.
Posted By: Kev®

Re: Sometimes! - 08/07/15 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
I'll take those scales. Been looking for something to inlay in old 10/22 stock missing sling studs. I'll even pay shipping plus.
I'll bet they didn't come off in one piece. Lol!

Re: Sometimes! - 08/07/15 11:14 PM

Oh yeah

Re: Sometimes! - 08/08/15 02:34 AM

Tell me how big of a piece you need and I'll send you some. I doubt I'll be using any more of it.

Re: Sometimes! - 08/08/15 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Kev®
Originally Posted By: Cast
I'll bet they didn't come off in one piece. Lol!

Yeah they came off in one piece but they were a little burnt. Heat is the enemy of epoxy!
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Sometimes! - 08/08/15 03:14 PM

They look great to me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum