Texas Hunting Forum

Been almost too hot to forge.

Posted By: bjankowski

Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/18/15 12:44 AM

This is what I decided to forge on the hottest day of the year last week. Forged from 1/2 1084 I found while cleaning up my shop. It’s now 1/8in. 9 inches OAL cutting edge is 4 inches. Blue and Yellow Kirnite handle with red and yellow liners. I can say it was a pain getting all the forging marks off it, I haven’t forged since I forged that knife for my granddaughter from a railroad spike. I hope to make the sheath tonight after it cools down a bit, unless I fall asleep, it’s been a long, long day!. lol

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/18/15 12:55 AM

Looks great
Posted By: Cast

Re: Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/18/15 12:59 AM

That's purty

Re: Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/18/15 01:48 AM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/19/15 11:50 PM

Nice knife but I'd have to disagree with you on one thing. It's not almost too hot to forge, it is too hot to forge! roflmao

Re: Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/20/15 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
Nice knife but I'd have to disagree with you on one thing. It's not almost too hot to forge, it is too hot to forge! roflmao

I agree Bubba; We're at our lake house and it's too hot to fish. I'm waiting till I can go out without my sneaker melting. I now one thing my new knife shop WILL have heat and air. My old bones just can't take the extreme elements anymore.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/20/15 01:40 AM

I can stay in the shop up to about 90° then I call it quits. Cold in the winter doesn't bother me much but the heat kicks this old mans tail!
Posted By: Jerry Fisk

Re: Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/20/15 02:21 AM

Around here when I am running the forge this time of year it is like standing in front of Hell with the doors open.
I have AC in the forging room but it is no use to run it then, I do run it when I am grinding. The finish and engraving rooms are AC
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/20/15 03:18 AM

I would love to be able to make something that looks that good.

Re: Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/20/15 11:58 AM

One thing that helps for sure is having a gas forge; Good Lord, I can't imagine forging inside using a coal forge in these Texas summers flame

I remember years ago when I first got hooked I used a small coal forge with an electric blower and kept outside, but I was a lot younger then. Winter times I wanted to bring it inside but my shop wasn't fire proofed like Jerry's shop. laugh
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Been almost too hot to forge. - 07/22/15 01:57 PM

Very nice work Bob. Like the blued blade with those scales. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum