Texas Hunting Forum

Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving

Posted By: Jerry Fisk

Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/12/15 10:33 PM

This is a 5 inch blade Sendero with a 352 layers of Damascus, that I have been working on while taking my breaks from working on the large bowie that I have going.
The handle is some fossil Walrus Ivory and the engraving also has a touch of gold to make it pop. Knives are like women, they need to look pretty but they are better if they work. Hope you like it.
I soaked the handle in mineral oil when I got through engraving. This one has a bit higher layer count than I like but he was ordering for himself and not me.

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/13/15 02:54 AM

Awesome Jerry; I really like that one a lot. Damascus is impeccable the engraving is out of sight. Great Job as usual.
Posted By: Jason Fry

Re: Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/13/15 03:27 PM

Jerry, what does the mineral oil soak do?

Re: Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/13/15 05:36 PM

Jason, it replaces that natural oils that were in it during its life.
I recommend to the clients to soak ivory and stag, twice a year and do it overnight.
Use the reminder of, "when the [daylight savings] time changes, change oil in the handle". Just drop it down in a can of plain ole mineral oil, it does not hurt the blade.
It helps keep the materials from cracking.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/13/15 10:33 PM

speechless
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/13/15 10:47 PM

Amazing
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/14/15 10:37 PM

Awesome work Jerry. Thanks for sharing. up
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/15/15 05:55 PM

Absolutely stunning!
Posted By: hetman

Re: Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/15/15 10:26 PM

how long was that waiting list again 5yr ? Another awesome Knife Mr. Fisk

Re: Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/16/15 03:34 AM

Het, that's about right. Sometime I can work a hunter in a bit at a time till I get it done but the big stuff is a long wait.
I do a lot of hand work so it just takes awhile.
I will be testing one of my bowies a bit each month starting in November for the public to see how they cut. The last time I did that I was younger. At that time I cut 56 pine 2x4's before the knife lost its good shaving edge and 67 before it lost 50% of its shaving. I will be chopping the boards and doing other cuts. If the knife is done right it should cut at least 20 and still be able to shave a sliver off of a single hair from my beard. It makes no difference if the knife is pretty or ugly, its true function is to cut and it should do that before pretty.
Thanks for the kind words.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Sendero with ancient Walrus and engraving - 07/16/15 03:56 AM

Outstanding Sir. That is a beautiful knife. up up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum