Texas Hunting Forum

Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner

Posted By: D.Crawford

Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/07/15 03:04 AM

Here's a mid-size hunter/skinner made from 1/8" thick 1084 carbon steel. Length is 6 3/4" & blade is 3 1/8" from tip to bolster.
Handle is black & white ebony and the 440c bolsters are dovetailed. Thanks for looking.

Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/07/15 05:37 AM

Class !!! Good cigar and bottle of sipping whiskey.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/07/15 11:14 AM

very nice
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/07/15 12:46 PM

Really nice work David. cheers
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/07/15 03:40 PM

I really like the white/black ebony I am going to have to get a knife made with that material.

I like the knife, great work as always.

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/08/15 03:19 AM

Thanks guys. Nathan, the B&W Ebony makes a great handle and finishes up with a nice sheen not shown in the pic.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/08/15 11:43 PM

Really nice David. I've got a Damascus EDC in the shop that I'm going to use some ebony on. I've got some solid black and some that's more brown with the black swirls and streaks. I haven't decided which I want to use.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/10/15 07:13 AM

Nice knife

I am semi allergic to ebony, sanding it makes the pores of my skin burn and makes my face break out.

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/11/15 02:31 AM

Colt, I'm allergic to Cocobolo dust myself. Breaks me out worse than poison ivy which is why I never use it.
A lot of the Rosewoods are "sensitizer woods" and will make you react worse each time you encounter them.
I know a couple of knifemakers who ended up in the emergency room with constricted airways from inhaling the dust.

My experience has been that it's just the dust that will do that though.

Here's a link to a list of toxic woods...

http://www.bwwt.org/bwwt_toxic_wood_chart.html
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/11/15 05:24 AM

Yeah, I build guitars, and there are certain woods I will not work with any longer. When I do use Ebony, I wear goggles and respirator. I have known a few luthiers who have had some serious reactions to some of those species.

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/11/15 06:26 AM

Oh, cool. I was preachin' what you already knew. Yeah, a bunch your guitar woods are on that list, huh?
Several years ago I spent 3 or 4 months with a wicked case of poison ivy on my ankle which actually turned out to be caused by grinding Cocobolo while wearing shorts & sandals.

You should post some guitar pics in the "Photos" section.

D-
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Ebony handled Hunter/Skinner - 07/13/15 10:46 PM

Awesome
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum