Texas Hunting Forum

What stone do y'all use?

Posted By: SapperTitan

What stone do y'all use? - 06/21/15 02:53 AM

I use a Worksharp and I love it especially for a dull knife and getting and edge back quickly but id like to get a nice stone preferably with a medium and fine stone combination for final touches while sharpening.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: What stone do y'all use? - 06/21/15 03:50 AM

I use a leather strop and rouge to finish.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What stone do y'all use? - 06/21/15 04:28 AM

I'll sell you some great Arkansas stones, which I don't use anymore since I switched to DMT diamond plates. They are flat steel plates with various grit. Get a medium and a very fine and a leather strop with jeweler's rouge and you can really put an edge on your blade. The plates stay flat, need no oil or water while in use, and I just wash them with soap and water when I'm finished.

Much faster In use than Arkansas type stones. And they never wear out.
Posted By: Jerry Fisk

Re: What stone do y'all use? - 06/21/15 04:12 PM

I use a Norton Fine India stone. I have used the same stone since 1987 to sharpen everything on. I have never cleaned it, just keep it washed off with WD40. As a result it cuts a bit finer than a new stone.
When making the knife, I come right off of rolling my convex with 320 then stone it.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: What stone do y'all use? - 06/22/15 11:10 AM

I've been using the same Arkansas stones, with oil, for a LONG time. They have gotten pretty concave over the years. Lately I've started supplementing with a steel and cheap strop or piece of belt leather. When it slices a piece of notebook paper, it's sharp enough for me.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: What stone do y'all use? - 06/22/15 01:40 PM

Since I have all my knife making tools at my disposal I use a 2000 grit belt on my belt grinder and a strop; when it cuts cigarette rolling papers then it's sharp enough for me. I get some weird looks when I buy those rolling papers, and I tell them it's for testing blades, they say "sure you do." laugh

I have a work sharp and used it for a while but I don't like the convex edge it leaves to me it doesn't hold an edge as long as a flat edge (to me). Al though a convex edge is stronger I like the flat better for slicing. It's all the intent of the blade, for my camp knives I like a scandi grind and then I strop it not ever letting it get too dull.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: What stone do y'all use? - 06/22/15 03:07 PM

if you don't mind spending $1800, try the Wicked Edge professional

I have one and have been extremely pleased
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum