Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite Fixed Blade Style

Posted By: Struggle

Favorite Fixed Blade Style - 04/28/15 12:22 AM

I'm thinking of getting some knives made for Christmas presents for my boys and I, but I'm having difficulty picking out a style that I can pull the trigger on. I am leaning towards the skinners but thought I would throw it out here for y'all's opinions as well. Please let me know what your favorite style is. Photo or drawing would be much appreciated as well. Thanks.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Favorite Fixed Blade Style - 04/28/15 12:42 AM

How do you us your knife? If you do a lot of skinning then definitely get a skinner. If you tend to just field dress your deer then a drop point makes sense. If you do a bit of both, there is a compromise blade, that's a drop point with a bit of a belly that works pretty well for both.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Favorite Fixed Blade Style - 04/28/15 12:55 AM

Struggle, I have 3 sons, a daughter, and 4 grandchildren (who are now of hunting age) and over the years, I've supplied every one of them with one of these:

http://www.buckknives.com/product/103-skinner-knife/0103FAM01/

I also have carried one for over 20 years.

When the kids can afford a nice custom knife, they can move up, but I think this Buck will find its way into their hunting bag for a long time!
Posted By: Struggle

Re: Favorite Fixed Blade Style - 04/28/15 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
How do you us your knife? If you do a lot of skinning then definitely get a skinner. If you tend to just field dress your deer then a drop point makes sense. If you do a bit of both, there is a compromise blade, that's a drop point with a bit of a belly that works pretty well for both.

Honestly, I'll use it to cut more steak than skinning anything.

Originally Posted By: mikei
Struggle, I have 3 sons, a daughter, and 4 grandchildren (who are now of hunting age) and over the years, I've supplied every one of them with one of these:

http://www.buckknives.com/product/103-skinner-knife/0103FAM01/

I also have carried one for over 20 years.

When the kids can afford a nice custom knife, they can move up, but I think this Buck will find its way into their hunting bag for a long time!

I thought about that too but I wanted to get my three boys and myself knives that are similar (not identical) that someone made by hand. I'm not saying that the Buck knife is any less of a knife than custom but it's not what I'm looking for at this time. I may be being selfish for my reasoning but it just wouldn't feel the same to me. I want to get them something that they can say no one else has and it's theirs. BTW, my everyday carry is a old Uncle Henry that you couldn't pay me enough for.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Favorite Fixed Blade Style - 04/28/15 03:03 AM

This is my number one selling knife it's a little skinner 7" OAL cutting edge 3" the blade is hollow ground. I have made one for myself for hunting; works like a champ.
It's my model # 108
Posted By: mikei

Re: Favorite Fixed Blade Style - 04/28/15 11:56 AM

Struggle, I just re-read your original post; I missed the part about having the knives "made" by someone! Find a knife maker who can build you some knives with the Buck 103's shape and feel, and have them customized by adding different scales to each one.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Favorite Fixed Blade Style - 04/28/15 02:53 PM

The knives that Kevin makes are the shape I prefer. This is the first one he fashioned for me and it really feels great in my hand. I'll see how it works for skinning an Axis in about a month. I've got some better photos but this is all photobucket will let me post today!!! Baker
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum