Texas Hunting Forum

Drawing Today

Posted By: elvisp_bucks

Drawing Today - 09/05/23 01:34 PM

Has the drawing today started yet?
Posted By: Mistereeee

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 01:55 PM

I'm refreshing every five minutes or so...
Posted By: JKTexas

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 02:03 PM

I only put in for two for today, NR archery (1pt) and PL Either Sex (8pts), and I don't anticipate drawing either. But, you never know.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 02:09 PM

7 for me. There are a lot of Private Land opportunities down here in Central Texas.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by elvisp_bucks
Has the drawing today started yet?

Not yet! Usually late-morning to early-afternoon in my experience.
Posted By: 65x55

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 02:57 PM

Won my first drawn hunt, NWR upland game not a high demand one but still cool. I think this is third year of applying.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 02:59 PM

Anterless/Spike has drawn... no luck for me.
Posted By: JKTexas

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 03:00 PM

both mine went to 2nd draw pending

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 65x55
Won my first drawn hunt, NWR upland game not a high demand one but still cool. I think this is third year of applying.

Congrats! Always fun to win, no matter what it is.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mistereeee

Thanks, yeah I am excited.

Those who have hunted Trinity River Page for rabbits/squirrels, how thick is it in there? Is shotgun the way to go or open enough for rimfire? I'll probably take my 20 gauge O/U the first time and go from there.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 06:21 PM

Between the drought and working with a young pup, I passed on applying for most hunts this year. I did draw one though. Gus Engeling Squirrel for the last hunt period end of January.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 09:58 PM

I've drawn two so far this year. Javelina at Big Bend Ranch and Archery Deer at Big Lake Bottom. Very excited about both of these hunts for very different reasons.

Still waiting on plenty to draw. Fingers crossed for a meat hunt later in the season! up
Posted By: HenryL

Re: Drawing Today - 09/05/23 10:12 PM

Archery Draw - Granger PHL. Anyone had this before to know if this is a decent place?
Posted By: GrantW

Re: Drawing Today - 09/06/23 12:46 AM

Same here. Gus squirrel last weekend hunt.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/06/23 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sauerkraut
I've drawn two so far this year. Javelina at Big Bend Ranch and Archery Deer at Big Lake Bottom. Very excited about both of these hunts for very different reasons.

Still waiting on plenty to draw. Fingers crossed for a meat hunt later in the season! up

You're on fire!

Re: Drawing Today - 09/06/23 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by HenryL
Archery Draw - Granger PHL. Anyone had this before to know if this is a decent place?

My BIL used to hunt up there and would usually see at least some hogs, occasionally deer. Beautiful place though. He'd usually take his jon boat.
Posted By: HenryL

Re: Drawing Today - 09/06/23 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by HenryL

My BIL used to hunt up there and would usually see at least some hogs, occasionally deer. Beautiful place though. He'd usually take his jon boat.

Thanks, appreciate the response!
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Drawing Today - 09/08/23 07:21 PM

Those who have hunted Trinity River Page for rabbits/squirrels, how thick is it in there? Is shotgun the way to go or open enough for rimfire? I'll probably take my 20 gauge O/U the first time and go from there.

I hunted out there years ago for squirrels. I used a rimfire and was successful. I still haven't figured out how to be good at squirrel hunting but I learned that if you sit still next to a tree they will get annoyed and give their location away. There are squirrels out there and it will be fun. There are huge spiders out there too that put their webs at face height. Find a small branch to walk with for swatting.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/09/23 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

I hunted out there years ago for squirrels. I used a rimfire and was successful. I still haven't figured out how to be good at squirrel hunting but I learned that if you sit still next to a tree they will get annoyed and give their location away. There are squirrels out there and it will be fun. There are huge spiders out there too that put their webs at face height. Find a small branch to walk with for swatting.

Thanks for the tips, did you see any rabbits? I know if I bring a rifle, I'll see a lot of running rabbits, and if I bring a shotgun, some big fox squirrels will show up 70 yards away. I'm going to bring my camera to do some wildlife photography too to make the most of it.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/10/23 03:08 AM

I don't recall seeing rabbits out there but I'm sure they are there.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/11/23 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
[quote=Mistereeee][quote=65x55]Won my first drawn hunt, NWR upland game not a high demand one but still cool. I think this is third year of applying.

There are huge spiders out there too that put their webs at face height. Find a small branch to walk with for swatting.

HELL. NO.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Drawing Today - 09/12/23 05:52 PM

i'm curious if someone was willing to share....what does the "you've' been selected email" even look like? i got all excited over nothing the other day, i got a tpwd email updating fishing reports right after one of the drawings.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/12/23 07:06 PM

The Subject line from my last one, "TPWD - National Refuge General Deer -- Selection"

So I think the giveaway would be a category name. But yeah, those random emails from TPWD during a draw are THE WORST.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/14/23 01:17 PM

good to know. Thank You.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Drawing Today - 09/15/23 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Erich
i'm curious if someone was willing to share....what does the "you've' been selected email" even look like? i got all excited over nothing the other day, i got a tpwd email updating fishing reports right after one of the drawings.

I don’t really remember for sure, but mine always showed up in the junk mail. The best way to find out is go to the draw hunt page and check status. Then if you see Selected there and don’t see a email, check the junk mail.
Posted By: DRUNK

Re: Drawing Today - 09/15/23 08:10 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Drawing Today - 09/15/23 09:15 PM

i hope to see one of those soon

Re: Drawing Today - 09/15/23 11:30 PM

They should draw on Monday for this latest round. Got my fingers crossed for some deer meat this year.
Posted By: DRUNK

Re: Drawing Today - 09/16/23 01:02 AM

The second draw for the 9/1 deadline should post early tomorrow.
Posted By: hunter1st

Re: Drawing Today - 09/16/23 12:04 PM

2nd draw is posted- not selected.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Drawing Today - 09/16/23 04:51 PM

I hit Muleshoe Quail on the 2nd draw.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/16/23 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
I hit Muleshoe Quail on the 2nd draw.

That should be fun. I haven't hunted quail in years.

Re: Drawing Today - 09/18/23 03:19 PM

Today is a big day for the draws. They should be pulling the cards real soon. Good luck!
Posted By: Bullets&Broadheads

Re: Drawing Today - 09/18/23 05:34 PM

I just drew the Granger bow hunt and am pretty excited! Anyone have experience with the deer hunting there?

Re: Drawing Today - 09/18/23 05:36 PM

Also got really lucky and just drew Colorado Bend doe/spike! 16 years and never drew 2 hunts before. Anyone have experience there?

Re: Drawing Today - 09/18/23 05:40 PM

Hey Henry I just drew Granger bow as well. Now the search for useful info begins!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum