Texas Hunting Forum

Drawn hunts

Posted By: Johnny Rocket

Drawn hunts - 03/25/18 03:06 PM

What drawn hunts are you guys posting for this year?! As for me? Everything!
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Drawn hunts - 04/24/18 03:48 PM

is may 15th the first picks? getting closer
Posted By: Erny

Re: Drawn hunts - 04/24/18 07:31 PM

Is it that early???i thought it was late june.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Drawn hunts - 04/24/18 09:17 PM

I thought it was all in July and they staggered the drawings?
Posted By: pkhunter624

Re: Drawn hunts - 04/24/18 10:20 PM

I think Last year it was the first week of July when they started the drawing

Re: Drawn hunts - 04/26/18 12:18 AM

Im looking at exotics for meat hoggin and possibly horns! not interested in audad

Muley and Either Sex for my first set of horns on the wall. Not sure which ones but I am going to sign up for a lot of them.

I want to start thinking about antelope so I am going to start building my loyalty points and sign up for that also.

this will be my third year applying. My first year I only applied to 3 or 4 but last year I applied to about 20 something and was picked for Inks Lake Doe hunt. Tagged out on my first hunt afternoon. But I realized I am not after WT does because I dont enjoy the meat that much and no horns. I need some horns on the wall so that is my goal for this year!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Drawn hunts - 04/29/18 03:07 PM

Usually the 1st week of July is when TPWD posts the drawn hunts for the Fall and following spring. Good luck to you.

Re: Drawn hunts - 05/01/18 12:17 AM

Is july here yet?? 6 more months till november. jeeez thats a long time.
Posted By: J W M

Re: Drawn hunts - 05/06/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Im looking at exotics for meat hoggin and possibly horns! not interested in audad

Muley and Either Sex for my first set of horns on the wall. Not sure which ones but I am going to sign up for a lot of them.

I want to start thinking about antelope so I am going to start building my loyalty points and sign up for that also.

this will be my third year applying. My first year I only applied to 3 or 4 but last year I applied to about 20 something and was picked for Inks Lake Doe hunt. Tagged out on my first hunt afternoon. But I realized I am not after WT does because I dont enjoy the meat that much and no horns. I need some horns on the wall so that is my goal for this year!

This is "by no means meant a criticism, but you are missing out on something special if you aren't enjoying the venison. Do yourself the favor of learning the proper way(s) to prepare and cook it. You'll be glad you did.

I was in the same position many years ago, but when I learned how to prepare my own venison, it made all the difference in the world. I look forward to that every year.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Drawn hunts - 05/07/18 06:00 PM

2cents we do are own preparation of hog & venison. Steaks & sausage, ground meat. Can add hamberger if not inta the venison. Flaver with your choice seasoning. Used bigger holes first, added seasoning then put threw with smaller holes. Did samples, threw in fry pan, & added ta taste.
Size antlers usualy goes with age, & like with steaks, older cattle not as tender.
Differance between rack hunters. Younger more tender.
Another Best kept secret. Same with fishing.
Best wishes ta all with draw hunts.
Been looking at the public lands here.
flag

Re: Drawn hunts - 06/06/18 09:06 PM

I noticed you can sign up for 2 people and on a few hunts like palo duro canyon it was only for 2 man teams. I also noticed on some applications it says 2 to 4 persons. How can I sign up with my buddy on tpwd website when the draw hunts start? Do I just need his info like ss number?
Posted By: billygoat

Re: Drawn hunts - 06/06/18 11:28 PM

Yes you will need his ss#.
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: Drawn hunts - 06/06/18 11:42 PM

Or you can use their drivers license number.
Posted By: pkhunter624

Re: Drawn hunts - 06/06/18 11:50 PM

or his hunting license number

Re: Drawn hunts - 06/28/18 05:38 PM

I just received an email saying that TPWD was releasing everything for the draw hunts at the beginning of July. So it's just around the corner!
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Drawn hunts - 06/29/18 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Cherokee Mingan
I just received an email saying that TPWD was releasing everything for the draw hunts at the beginning of July. So it's just around the corner!
up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Drawn hunts - 06/29/18 05:02 PM

This is my year for desert bighorn sheep. I can feel it. nuts

Re: Drawn hunts - 06/29/18 08:25 PM

I hope they have it this year because it will be you and me most likely.
Posted By: odwraca

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/03/18 04:42 PM

All of them. Haha. At least Laguna, Sam houston, Gus Engeling, Richland creek, Angelina Necheae....
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/03/18 04:55 PM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/pub...rce=govdelivery

Drawn Hunts are ready to go....
Posted By: RedRaider13

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/11/18 09:17 PM

Just gave my annual $150 donation to TPWD, maybe I'll get selected this year?

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/11/18 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
I hope they have it this year because it will be you and me most likely.

I overreacted on another thread on here about this, but it's not on the initial drawing website. We gotta wait until September 1st. I added it on my phone and added an alert to remind me. You and me buddy!
Posted By: Appels

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/12/18 05:08 PM

What kind of loyalty points are you guys going in with this year? I have quite a few spread out in varied categories, but the highest for me is 6 in Exotic and 6 in Pronghorn. Given the total # of applicants in each of these categories yearly, I imagine it's going to take way more than that to get selected.
Posted By: RedRaider13

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/12/18 06:03 PM

I have 3-4 in almost all categories, I know many people that have way more points than I do. There's always a chance someone can draw on their first try, that's the beauty of the system. I look it as my yearly donation since I already have he lifetime liscense.

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/26/18 05:47 PM

Anyone have photos of deer from past draw hunts (whitetail or mule deer)? I can't find a lot on the internet. What I have found "mostly" does not say where it came from.

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/26/18 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: J W M
Anyone have photos of deer from past draw hunts (whitetail or mule deer)? I can't find a lot on the internet. What I have found "mostly" does not say where it came from.

I can find you some. What areas of Texas are you interested in?

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/26/18 08:43 PM

all of them that offer whitetail or mule deer.

Thanks
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/26/18 10:30 PM

Was shot at White Oak Creek several years ago.

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/27/18 12:53 PM

all of them that offer whitetail or mule deer.

Thanks

Nevermind, that's too many.

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/27/18 04:30 PM

I have found photos online from Muse, Richland creek, Matador, Chapparal, and a couple of others. However, I would like to get an idea of the possibilities from some of the other places, so that I am applying for the areas that offer the best opportunity for a trophy (everyone has their own opinion of what a trophy is, and that's cool).
Whitetail: I have hunted Devils River. I live close to Daughtrey and Choke Canyon. I am familiar with those. I am just hoping that anyone that has photos from any of the draw hunt bucks they have taken, would share those.
Mule Deer: I have hunted Elephant Mtn., and was successful there. But am still interested in photos of mule deer bucks from any of the other draw hunts for mule deer.

Again, Thanks!

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/27/18 04:31 PM

Very nice. Do you know what year that was?

Thanks!
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/28/18 02:43 AM

The whitetail from WOC was shot about 10 years ago.
Posted By: gfrancescon

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/31/18 03:44 PM

What about the meat don't you enjoy? I only ask because it may be in the way you're processing. Just a thought.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/31/18 11:01 PM

The first set of draws ends tomorrow- which means draw results out on Thursday correct?

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/31/18 11:30 PM

Sierra Diablo 2008

Re: Drawn hunts - 07/31/18 11:38 PM

Very nice!

Sierra Diablo is ALWAYS one of my applications.

Thanks
Posted By: brianaustintx

Re: Drawn hunts - 08/01/18 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: duckhunter175
The first set of draws ends tomorrow- which means draw results out on Thursday correct?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. First drawn hunt myself, applied for five...looked at the numbers high chance I won't get chosen for anything, haha. But that's what makes it more exciting if you get chosen, I'd assume.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum