Texas Hunting Forum

Where to go to backpack/hunt?

Posted By: JB1316

Where to go to backpack/hunt? - 02/07/18 05:14 PM

Ive been playing on the TPWD website looking at the various public hunting areas trying to find a place to go hunt small game, predators or hogs. Im really hoping for a place I can backpack in, set up camp remotely, hunt small game/hog, and hike out. Outside of the Sam Houston area, I dont really see any public land where you can camp and rifle hunt hogs or rabbits outside of Dove season. Even there, they have designated camping areas.
Are there any parts of the Texas Public hunting land where I can do this I'd prefer something west since I have a lease in East Texas already, but Im open to just about anywhere this can be done within the state?
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Where to go to backpack/hunt? - 02/07/18 06:56 PM

Lake Meredith?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Where to go to backpack/hunt? - 02/07/18 07:10 PM

The ones that have campsites, usually have designated areas. scratch Thinking for Safety reasons. Like using my canoe if can, asked one of the officials on OSBWMA if could set up a small camp on edge of Sabine ta hunt from. They asked to keep camping at designated sites. Figuring stay bullets, not knowing some one is camping out.
flag

Re: Where to go to backpack/hunt? - 02/07/18 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
The ones that have campsites, usually have designated areas. scratch Thinking for Safety reasons. Like using my canoe if can, asked one of the officials on OSBWMA if could set up a small camp on edge of Sabine ta hunt from. They asked to keep camping at designated sites. Figuring stay bullets, not knowing some one is camping out.
flag
Yea that's what im seeing. Probably keeps people from setting up "camp" for extended periods of time too. Too bad.

Re: Where to go to backpack/hunt? - 02/07/18 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: swampthang
Lake Meredith?
Wow, never heard of this place... but this might be the ticket. No hogs, but pretty close to what im looking for. Thanks!
Posted By: machine73

Re: Where to go to backpack/hunt? - 02/09/18 05:08 AM

You can camp outside of designated areas on USFS land after the General Gun Season, page xiv of the 2017-2018 Public Hunting Land Map Booklet.

Re: Where to go to backpack/hunt? - 02/09/18 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: machine73
You can camp outside of designated areas on USFS land after the General Gun Season, page xiv of the 2017-2018 Public Hunting Land Map Booklet.

Sweet, thanks!
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Where to go to backpack/hunt? - 02/10/18 01:38 AM

Just watch out for my cousin 'sasquatch". More reports come from the SAM than anywhere in Texas. I am always creeped out walking out of those woods in the dark. Oddly my only "encounter" was in the middle of the day where I was "whooped" at. Ive also found 2 strange tree structures in those woods that are also very creepy and hard to explain how people could have the strength to make them. There are a few posts in the archives on this subject if you are interested. Im not the only one on this site with some type of strange encounter they cant explain in those woods.

Posted By: machine73

Re: Where to go to backpack/hunt? - 02/12/18 06:10 AM

There's some odd stuff going on in the Sam, that's for sure.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum