Texas Hunting Forum

Gus Engeling WMA Drawn Hunt Results / First Hog Ever!

Posted By: cdallre

Gus Engeling WMA Drawn Hunt Results / First Hog Ever! - 01/22/18 10:51 PM

Went out last week for the Gun Deer - Doe/Spike hunt. This was my first time on this property and I can't say enough good things about the land, faculty, and facilities. What an awesome time!

I saw plenty of forked antler bucks (even up to some good 8-points) but the only doe I saw was on the way out.

I did however drop my first hog Thursday evening at last light -- ~150lb boar.

I will definitely be applying for more drawn hunts out here.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Gus Engeling WMA Drawn Hunt Results / First Hog Ever! - 01/23/18 03:26 PM

...and so it begins..a little success breeds CONFIDENCE 'cause you have done it once before and know you can do it again ....Good On Ya and Congrats up
Ron
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Gus Engeling WMA Drawn Hunt Results / First Hog Ever! - 01/24/18 06:43 PM

Congrats! I've got a hog hunt scheduled out there in May. Any pointers or info would be much appreciated. Where did you stay?
Posted By: cdallre

Re: Gus Engeling WMA Drawn Hunt Results / First Hog Ever! - 01/26/18 07:49 PM

I stayed in the campground off 287. (Indoor plumbing for the restroom with heaters and shower -- a bonus in my book)

Get a couple cans of the sugar beet scent from Buck Bomb. It will help mask your scent (with a very sweet smell BTW) I sat over corn for a day and a half before I sprayed the buck bomb and the pig came in within an hour after that.

Good luck!
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Gus Engeling WMA Drawn Hunt Results / First Hog Ever! - 02/14/18 01:33 AM

I was lucky enough to get my doe the first day. Had to bring my dog out the next morning to find her and she was frozen solid.

Really enjoyed the place and staff.

With the place was open for pig hunting all the time, lots of pigs on that place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum