Texas Hunting Forum

Matador WMA Draw Hunt

Posted By: Huntalot

Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/18/17 02:51 AM

Got fortunate and was drawn for Whitetail GDE Matador Nov 6-10. I have never hunted out there and wondered if anyone has any feedback/tips? THX! Huntalot

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/18/17 08:57 PM

TTT
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/18/17 10:58 PM

good luck
Posted By: djs303

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/19/17 02:01 AM

Congrats! I heard that the better whitetail hunting is better on the eastern side and mule deer on the western side. Hope your back is strong or take a cart to help get it out if you get one as they are pretty heavy bodied animals. Good luck and let us know how the hunt goes.

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/20/17 11:23 AM

TTT
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/20/17 11:54 AM

I drew a doe hunt a couple years back on this unit. You are able to pick your area, by the sequence of the draw. Make sure and stay with the eastern most areas. Our group had first pick that year and we picked "SHORTY". We got 5 does and 3 hogs, between 3 of us. I like this area, on the northern most border, there are 2 high mounds, that provide an excellent place to sit. Get up there before light, and catch herds of deer coming off the private grain fields across the fence. I saw some very nice bucks, several 170 class, and one that I believe would push 200.
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/20/17 08:56 PM

East side is better for whitetails. But, don't get too discouraged if you can't get on the east side. We killed 2 130s (8 and 10) off the far west side a few years ago. Good deer over the entire property, but, the east side is usually the best. Several solid deer come off there every year, including a couple of 170s last year. Good luck, fun place to hunt, lots of animals.

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/20/17 09:16 PM

THX for the words of advice. Any specific hunting tips? Spot and Stalk? Pop-up? Tripod? Hunt near water?

THX!

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/20/17 09:23 PM

Kind of depends of the pasture you end up hunting. My favorite method was to get on a high spot and sit and watch a 'huntable area' as well as off in the distance. See many animals that way. If you see something too far away for a shot, you can plan a stalk. I personally wouldn't mess with stands or popups, too much crap to lug around/set up. A quick brush blind would suffice if no appreciable elevation in your compartment. Since it's a rifle hunt, shouldn't need much more. The river runs through the entire property, so water isn't limiting at all. i would just try to watch as much country as is feasible.

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/20/17 10:01 PM

Last question for now. Did 2WD work or do you need 4WD everywhere?
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/20/17 10:25 PM

4 wheel drive would be a good idea. Sand beds can be a problem when it's dry and slick red clay on the hills when it' rains
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/20/17 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntalot
Got fortunate and was drawn for Whitetail GDE Matador Nov 6-10. I have never hunted out there and wondered if anyone has any feedback/tips? THX! Huntalot

Good luck to you. I got drawn for the doe hunt December 16-20, so I may PM you to get your thoughts and advice on what you see this year.

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/21/17 02:24 AM

Absolutely! Will pass along any info I can.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/21/17 12:31 PM

Ox pasture

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/21/17 02:12 PM

4wd is a good idea if you have it. Most of the area is accessible by 2wd, but there can be a few spots where 4wd is needed. Main road is much better than it used to be.
Posted By: spitfire

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/22/17 07:48 PM

I drew for the management hunt. Looking forward to it.
Posted By: cm7727

Re: Matador WMA Draw Hunt - 09/24/17 02:50 AM

It's a fun place to go for sure. Drew mule deer there a few years ago and have the 12/6 doe hunt there this year. I can't wait to go back.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum