National Refuge Archery Deer
Private Lands - Antlerless/Spike
Private Lands - Either Sex
Private Lands Turkey
Youth Only Gun Deer - Antlerless/Spike

Good Luck!!!
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/18/17 07:03 PM

Ive got 0 in this set. But I am chomping at the bit for Sept 15th to get here.
Posted By: Erny

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/19/17 03:19 AM

Yep.... good luck to everyone in the draws.
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/19/17 07:01 PM

I received a letter in the mail for the Texas Big Time hunts with the TPWD logo on it.

I almost crapped my pants wondering "could it be? now way"

It turned out to just be an advertisement for this coming draw hunts.

Talk about rubbing salt on the wound.... bang
Posted By: NDN98

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/19/17 10:43 PM

I only have one entry for the 9-1 hunts, but several in the 9-15 hunts.
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/22/17 02:16 PM

I've got 5 in this round!

E-Postcard Archery @ Granger PHL
E-Postcard Archery @ James Daughtrey WMA
E-Postcard Archery @ Keechi Creek WMA
National Refuge Archery Deer @ Laguna Atascosa NWR
National Refuge Archery Deer @ LRGV- Teniente

Wish me luck!
Posted By: Hunterwannabe

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/22/17 02:42 PM

I got the TPWD Big Time Hunts letter and was so excited and felt the same disappointment. It was too good to be true that I landed that one. Wish I had won that!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/22/17 04:13 PM

I wonder how much money they make off those Big Time Texas hunts since they really don't have a limit to the amount of entires you can have.

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/22/17 05:50 PM

"Last year's sweepstakes resulted in 72,989 entries that generated nearly $681,500 revenue, according to Justin Dreibelbis, TPWD director of public hunting."

http://www.lightandchampion.com/sports/article_c618ecbe-9af7-11e6-8fe5-3f6539240b56.html

This article was from 2016 so it probably is referring to the 2015 hunt year.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/22/17 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
I wonder how much money they make off those Big Time Texas hunts since they really don't have a limit to the amount of entires you can have.
You can buy as many raffle tickets as you want for these hunts? didn't realize it wasn't limited to 1 entry per person...
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/22/17 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: bossbowman
Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
You can buy as many raffle tickets as you want for these hunts, though it was limited to one entry per person?

No, when you click on it, it will say 1-9999 entries.
Posted By: BurrOak

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/22/17 08:40 PM

Wow. Im putting in 9999 times for the Grand Slam then!
Posted By: RockDocJoe

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/22/17 09:48 PM

That's some good revenue.

So, being new to hunting and all this. If I want to go hunting with three buddies, do we all need to be on the same application? I can't just invite them after the fact, if I ever get a tag?
Posted By: Blank

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/23/17 12:25 AM

Just win the Big Time Texas Hunt. Then, you can bring a friend! smile

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/23/17 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: DFWpublichunter

So, being new to hunting and all this. If I want to go hunting with three buddies, do we all need to be on the same application? I can't just invite them after the fact, if I ever get a tag?

All of you have to be on the same application. Which kind of sucks because I have a friend that is new to hunting and chomping at the bit to get out there but I didn't hesitate to get all my picks in so I can't take him if I do get picked. For me it's like a kid 2 days before Xmas with no adults to tell you otherwise. I just tear into it, the only person I sign up with me is my dad. Regardless if he wants to do the hunt or not.

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/23/17 01:28 PM

I have my brother, a buddy and myself on our applications.

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/23/17 01:29 PM

This is my first year to do this as well but I feel like I got it down now on how it works...
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/23/17 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BurrOak
Wow. Im putting in 9999 times for the Grand Slam then!
You do know it's $10 a pop!!!

Re: September 1st Hunts - 08/24/17 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
Originally Posted By: DFWpublichunter

All of you have to be on the same application. Which kind of sucks because I have a friend that is new to hunting and chomping at the bit to get out there but I didn't hesitate to get all my picks in so I can't take him if I do get picked. For me it's like a kid 2 days before Xmas with no adults to tell you otherwise. I just tear into it, the only person I sign up with me is my dad. Regardless if he wants to do the hunt or not.

roflmao

I considered that. Luckily I left a few to apply for.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 01:02 PM

Just checked and Private Lands-Either Sex has been drawn. Pending 2nd draw for me and more loyalty points for next year
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 03:17 PM

I won private lands antlerless/spike in Kerr County. Does anyone have info on this hunt?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 04:16 PM

I got drawn for 2 archery deer hunts, Laguna Atascosa and Granger.
Posted By: Hgood

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 05:32 PM

I drew that hunt a couple of years ago. Harvested one wt spike and one axis doe. Stayed in a cabin rented on location. There were lots of axis and black bucks back then. Unless they changed the way they conduct the hunt, you will be assigned a specific location. Bring a popup blind if you can. I don't think they allow elevated stands. I would call about details including baiting. Good Luck!!!
Posted By: Hgood

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 05:39 PM

Congrats on drawing these hunts! Never been to Granger but I have hunted Laguna Atascosa a couple of times. BE PREPARED for chigger and tick warfare!!!! My first trip there resulted in many chigger bites and a week of itching misery. Lots of animals there! Nilgia, pigs, and wtdeer. Watch out for rattlers. I recommend snake boots or chaps! Good luck!
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 05:51 PM

Got a 2nd Round notice on the one PLE I put in for with 4 LP's ...not a good omen for future years worth the way my luck runs. Either I get something quick or it's a long term deal like my GDE @ 15 LP's or my EXO @ 18 LP's. Just Sayin'
Ron

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Hgood
Congrats on drawing these hunts! Never been to Granger but I have hunted Laguna Atascosa a couple of times. BE PREPARED for chigger and tick warfare!!!! My first trip there resulted in many chigger bites and a week of itching misery. Lots of animals there! Nilgia, pigs, and wtdeer. Watch out for rattlers. I recommend snake boots or chaps! Good luck!

Thanks. This will be my third time there. You ain't kidding about the ticks and chiggers! Saw plenty of rattlers too. In a way, that's a good thing. It chases all the guys away that aren't serious or prepared.

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 08:30 PM

I drew on Archery Laguna Atascosa and Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR's.

I don't know which to pick! Can't do both. Anybody wanna help influence my choice? It'll be my brother, a buddy and myself. I'll be using a crossbow! I'm so stoked!

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 09:00 PM

Never hunted Lower Rio grande NWR but I have hunted Laguna Atascosa. My best advice to you would be get in shape starting now. It will be the toughest hunt you will ever do that's not in the mountains.

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 09:08 PM

Thanks!

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 09:09 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Hunterwannabe

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/02/17 09:22 PM

Got drawn on big lake bottom wma archery e postcard hunt. My first year applying and first ever hunt i got drawn. Anyone has information on hunting this area?
Posted By: slack40

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/04/17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: NDN98
Just checked and Private Lands-Either Sex has been drawn. Pending 2nd draw for me and more loyalty points for next year

Same here. Does that mean results haven't come out yet, or better luck next year?

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/04/17 06:56 PM

Neither...you got a "LP" awarded already AND you are still in the game waiting for the 2nd drawing for any "left over" tags that folks who WERE drawn dinnit pay for, or withdrew their App after the drawing for some personal reason...same place I am in.... grrr
Ron
Posted By: slack40

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/04/17 07:43 PM

Appreciate the insight. Hoping for the best, I'm 0-3 here in AZ, hopefully the homeland will treat me right!

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/05/17 02:34 PM

I got drawn for the keechi creek squirrel hunt. Anyone else drawn for that or have any information?
Posted By: s1rGr1nG0

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/07/17 03:09 AM

Where can you go to find out the status or results of the drawings? Tried digging around the TPWD site but couldn't find it. Must be blind or dumb.

Or both! smile

Re: September 1st Hunts - 09/07/17 10:01 AM

Go to Permits in the TPW Hunting section of the Master Homepage's tool bar across the top of the page. Drill down until you get to the 4 choices where you can open the categories of Hunts, open the Check Status portal and fill out the form that shows you current App's received & their results, slide down the page to see your various LP status. from this portal you can also see what Hunts are still available to enter in blue to the far right side of the page...and order an App from that portal too.

FWIW it is very helpful to have your Cust # handy so you don't have to fill out the entire Personal File every time you openthe Check Status, as it will open with no more info than your last name, DOB and the Cust # after the 1st time you set up the file.
Ron
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum