Texas Hunting Forum

Got drawn for the first time at Garner

Posted By: OneShotDrop

Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/16/17 09:35 PM

So who has hunted there in the last few years? Anyone?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/16/17 09:49 PM

You should look into if they have any cabins available to rent with a fire place while you are there. They have recently updated them and are pretty nice.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/16/17 10:01 PM

This from the one that had a deadline on the 15th? I didn't know they drew it that fast
Posted By: Rickybobby8

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/16/17 10:06 PM

I got drawn too. Questions would be what distances can you see from the blind?

If I call the park will they know?

If I give the rangers venison summer sausage...do I get a better stand? Lol

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/16/17 10:19 PM

What date did you get drawn for Ricky? I got the 1st through 3rd of January, guess won't be a long night New Years Eve anymore haha. Yeah seems they were quick to do the drawings. I will check out what they have for shelters and cabins.

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/16/17 10:27 PM

I got the jan 10-12th exotics.

Would be nice to see an axis, or even a decent buck. Not getting hopes too high, but axis is something I dont get a chance at.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/17/17 12:01 AM

no luck. When do they do second draw?

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/17/17 12:13 AM

Biggest problem for me is I have one if the very last hunts. Will be less deer and the have been shot at for while

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/17/17 12:14 AM

My guess is the 26th as it says I have til the 25th to buy the permit.
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/19/17 02:48 PM

Hunted there last year, right around New Year's Eve. Didn't see a single deer, axis or whitetail. Did see 4 axis does driving in the first day. My blind was on the west side, which is better for axis. Wife hunted the east side, but she didn't see any deer either. On our hunt, there were 6 axis killed I think, 1 guy shot 2. They also killed a fallow doe, which was unusual, and 1 pig. From my blind (pop-up they had set up), could see/shoot 90 degrees at a max distance of about 75 yards (can only shoot between flagging tape they have out). They take you to the stand and pick you up, options are to hunt all day or morning and evening. No traffic in/out (even for game retrieval) except pre-dawn, 10am-ish, 3pm-ish, and after dark. Can't leave the stand except to mark a blood trail. No tracking of shot animals allowed. There is 1 blind re-draw if you want to move locations. Feeders were provided. They have shelters available, but we rented a cabin close by.
Posted By: SpawnofChesty

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/22/17 02:41 AM

Hunted there last year. I saw Axis on every sit. Including one nice buck. Cant wait to get drawn again.
Posted By: Hunterwannabe

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/22/17 02:49 PM

Wonder why my garner application still says application received with no status update
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 08/22/17 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunterwannabe
Wonder why my garner application still says application received with no status update

It means that they haven't done the drawing for the category that you entered. Scroll down the page and find the category of that hunt. There will be a deadline date. The drawing is usually held the next business day.
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Got drawn for the first time at Garner - 09/10/17 04:48 AM

My son and niece got drawn for the Either Sex Youth hunt Dec. 29-31. Really stoked for them. This should be a great opportunity for an exotic. I'll try to update here when we go. We rented a cabin just a few miles north at Frio River Cabins.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum