Texas Hunting Forum

Devils River Dan Allen Unit

Posted By: safdm44

Devils River Dan Allen Unit - 08/03/17 02:43 AM

My last youth child drew this unit for gun deer either sex. Any info on this area would be appreciated.. camping areas, tips or pertinent info... don't think baiting is allowed so what method for hunting, spot and stalk? Thanks all!
Posted By: Erny

Re: Devils River Dan Allen Unit - 08/03/17 03:10 AM

I can't help you with info, but congrats on the draw.

Re: Devils River Dan Allen Unit - 08/03/17 03:48 AM

thnx. im sure my son will have fun.

Re: Devils River Dan Allen Unit - 08/05/17 08:51 PM

No one has hunted the Devils river SNA .. we drew Dan Allen Hughes but I believe the Norte Unit should be similar to hunting method.. anyone hunt either and have tips on how to hunt to those canyons and hills? spot stalk or sit in pop up.. hoping to help my boy be successful. Also I plan on taking an AR15 6.5 Grendel.. think this should be a great caliber for him to use.. flat shooting with high velocity, thoughts on this would be great too. Thanks
Posted By: Blank

Re: Devils River Dan Allen Unit - 08/05/17 09:56 PM

Can't help on that particular area, but hope to draw someday on my own. Two of my hunting partners were just north of there back in Feb hunting aoudad tho. Saw very few deer in a week, and the ones they saw were in canyon bottoms near water and cover. Lots of sheep tho, and I believe your son can shoot unlimited exotics there on his hunt also. Might turn into a great canyon hunt for them instead. Get on top and walk the rim edges and glass a lot. Your rifle choice would be great for that. Good luck.

Re: Devils River Dan Allen Unit - 08/05/17 11:58 PM

I appreciate the help. I hope he gets a shot opportunity a least.. I would consider that a successful hunt. I'm sure it will be fun for him.
Posted By: txseadog

Re: Devils River Dan Allen Unit - 08/07/17 01:09 AM

I took my daughter there in Jan 2016 for youth exotic hunt and will tell you be prepared for a tough hunt with lots of walking, climbing and thorns.

Saw deer in the canyons as well as in the flats and several different exotics unfortunately none of them were on the hit list.

Here's my trip report.
Posted By: LoneStarSportsman

Re: Devils River Dan Allen Unit - 09/28/17 06:24 PM

I was drawn to hunt Dan Allen Hughes unit in December. Rifle, either sex whitetail and exotics. Looks like the closest place to stay is Del Rio. I'm looking forward to it to say the least! Any tips or advice not previously mentioned?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Devils River Dan Allen Unit - 09/29/17 05:02 PM

when did the draw come out?
Posted By: LoneStarSportsman

Re: Devils River Dan Allen Unit - 09/30/17 01:38 AM

I had an email Monday morning saying I was drawn
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum