Texas Hunting Forum

Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities

Posted By: Palehorse

Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 01/13/17 08:16 PM

Previously, the meat from nilgai culled by helicopter at Laguna Atascosa NWR was to be given exclusively to charities. That is no longer the case. It will be harvested by the Broken Arrow Ranch and sold at a profit.

http://m.valleymorningstar.com/news/loca...2.html?mode=jqm
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 01/14/17 02:44 AM

frown
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 01/14/17 04:32 AM

trout
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 01/17/17 03:12 PM

Is that good or bad?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 01/17/17 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Is that good or bad?

Well, I guess that depends on how you look at it. If you are one of the groups of folks who would like to get rid of the nilgai, it is a way for the FWS to fund the helicopter culling, so there will be more culling. If you like to hunt the nilgai, then maybe not so good. One thing that allowed me to accept the reduced hunt opportunities was at least the meat went to the needy in the area, and there are a lot. Now, I guess they will be harvested off our federal land and sold.

The whole thing is about supposedly controlling the fever tick. The problem is, the fever tick also uses whitetail deer and cattle as hosts. I seriously doubt they are going to reduce the numbers of either in that area.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I was having a conversation with a TPWD biologist at another WMA. His said that the best way to control the fever tick is to treat cattle with a pesticide and then allow them to graze in the area. The problem is, who will pay for it? I think a solution would be, let the cattlemen pay for it, and in exchange, the FWS allows them to graze on the refuge for a period of time.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 01/18/17 03:02 PM

This type of favouritism should not shock anyone who has utilized public hunting lands for any length of time.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 01/20/17 02:08 PM

Thanks for the reporting Palehorse!

For public hunting opportunity especially if you ever wanted a DIY nilgai hunt, it is a bad thing.
Posted By: redmist1

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 04/01/17 02:18 AM

as usual us the public gets screwed
Posted By: Erny

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 04/03/17 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: redmist1

Yep
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 04/04/17 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Erny
Originally Posted By: redmist1

Yep
same old story
Posted By: VarmintSniper30

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 05/01/17 10:25 PM

sounds like some liberals got mixed up in this
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 05/06/17 12:25 PM

Laguna Atatasoca was one of the best public hunting properties going. If you never hunted there, you missed out as it will never be the same with helicopter culling and TPWD's involvement.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 05/06/17 06:01 PM

They will never get rid of the nilgai because there valuable to private landowners who sell hunts for them and they will just spread back into there by surrounding propertys.
Posted By: Hard_ware

Re: Nilgai meat harvested by helicopter no longer given to charities - 06/14/17 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: sparrish8
They will never get rid of the nilgai because there valuable to private landowners who sell hunts for them and they will just spread back into there by surrounding propertys.

Nilgai just swim the river from Mexico back into the US, bringing the ticks with them. Issuing weekly or monthly permits to hunt them would be nice, but its work that govt workers aren't willing to do.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum