Texas Hunting Forum

caddo grassland?

Posted By: finesse master

caddo grassland? - 12/02/16 08:01 PM

how is hunting here? looking for a 140 class deer anyone have experience in this area?
Posted By: jomay1961

Re: caddo grassland? - 12/03/16 12:47 AM

I Just took a planned 3 day trip to hunt and fish the grasslands and coffee mill lake this week, Mon-Wed. I returned home on Tues eve. weather and hunting was lousy. Very windy. Spent time hunting, using my boat to get better access to different parts of the land surrounding the lake. Never saw and sign of deer or hog which is what I was really wanting. As I was loading my boat to leave a local guy struck up a conversation and told me that the two weekend prior to my arrival, the camp grounds (8-10 campsites) were full of hunters and tents everywhere. He said they would hunt in large groups, form lines and drive deer to other waiting hunters. He said they were successful with that strategy. Sucks for the rest of the public hunters. I thought I was doing good getting up there during the week with no pressure. There's 15,ooo plus acres up there which obviously I didnt get to hunt. Good luck but if I had to go there I would wait till the last week of the season and be ready to go deep into the woods. My two cents....
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: caddo grassland? - 12/03/16 06:20 AM

I have duck hunted there and done well. I did some scouting for deer, saw several squirrel, and a woodcock. I saw very little deer sign. All of the hunters I met said the area gets hit really hard by the deer hunters, and there are not many deer. From what little I know about the deer hunting, I would go somewhere else. However, if you are more into the camping, hiking side of deer hunting, it is a nice area. We also caught some catfish in the lake.
Posted By: KYBLUEFAN

Re: caddo grassland? - 12/04/16 03:33 AM

See my post a few down.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum